Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We don’t have a study that shows washing our hands is an effective way to avoid some of the infection from this virus either, but based on how we know viruses work it’s pretty certain that hand washing will help. I don’t understand the fixation on having scientific studies on everything (masks, indoor dining, etc). We have a lot of knowledge on how the virus spreads so we know certain things will be more or less risky based solely on that. Indoor dining is more risky than outdoor dining which is more risky than takeout which is more risky than cooking at home.
The first sentence of your post ,(kinda), contradicts the third sentence of your post.

Jrb1979

Not every restaurant is able to do that. By me one place put some tables in their parking lot... but that takes away from the parking. Others might not even have that option depending on their setup. Think about Disney Springs. Everything is so close together and all the spare space is taken up by walkways. Where would T-REX move enough tables to not block the walkways but make it worth it to be open? And who goes to T-REX for the food instead of the decor?

Also, winter is coming... and Outdoors will be even less possible for vast parts of the country just as flu season is picking up...
My city shut downtown streets to let places have a patio. Its only temporary at least here it is. If our cases keep dropping it will change.

Lilofan

No I haven't but here in Ontario the humidity is almost as bad. This past week its been hotter here then FL. Its been feeling like 102 the past few days. Hot weather shouldn't be an excuse on why it can't be done.
I have eaten in an outdoor patio in FL close to midnight. It's so hot the sweat from me pours into my food and drink. The only cool down is the sun goes down, the humidity is sticky and sweaty through the night.

Last edited:

milordsloth

We don’t have a study that shows washing our hands is an effective way to avoid some of the infection from this virus either, but based on how we know viruses work it’s pretty certain that hand washing will help. I don’t understand the fixation on having scientific studies on everything (masks, indoor dining, etc). We have a lot of knowledge on how the virus spreads so we know certain things will be more or less risky based solely on that. Indoor dining is more risky than outdoor dining which is more risky than takeout which is more risky than cooking at home.

I agree with everything you say here. I understand and agree that there is an increased risk eating in a restaurant (while the amount of increased risk with distancing can be debated in circles). I was really just calling out the other comment claiming "countless studies" proving it.

oceanbreeze77

I agree, however, the research on indoor dining and indoor activities in general is being conducted right now, so hopefully those studies will be available to us within the next few months.

Parker in NYC

I agree, however, the research on indoor dining and indoor activities in general is being conducted right now, so hopefully those studies will be available to us within the next few months.

Spoiler alert: they still won’t listen. Unless it’s a study that fits the no mask narrative, who cares. Disney reopens, masks required. If that’s the only way they agree to wear them, maybe we should all move there.

lazyboy97o

No I haven't but here in Ontario the humidity is almost as bad. This past week its been hotter here then FL. Its been feeling like 102 the past few days. Hot weather shouldn't be an excuse on why it can't be done.
That might be slightly uncomfortable and has been repeatedly demonstrated that simply will not be tolerated here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All of the local banks kept their drive-thrus/ATMs open, but closed lobbies until recently. It appears that some will be closing their lobbies again.
I haven't been inside a bank since March.
I haven’t been to an ATM or a bank since early March either. I actually realized I have a decent size pile of cash I’ve accumulated during this pandemic because my kids had birthday and Christmas money they have been using for video games and other online purchases (Amazon) and I’ve been charging that stuff on my CC and taking the cash from them. Even take out food we have mostly been using the CC and paying online or over the phone. It’s one of those weird dynamics of this “new norm“ for me.

mickeymiss

If we are going to base potentially destructive decisions on it, I'd certainly like studies. That's not a big ask. Hand washing and masks don't compare to shuttering businesses long term. A popular restaurant in my area had to close forever because they couldn't do outdoor dining. They were willing to space out tables and eveything else. Governor said no. Studies are vital.

Miss Bella

I haven’t been to an ATM or a bank since early March either. I actually realized I have a decent size pile of cash I’ve accumulated during this pandemic because my kids had birthday and Christmas money they have been using for video games and other online purchases (Amazon) and I’ve been charging that stuff on my CC and taking the cash from them. Even take out food we have mostly been using the CC and paying online or over the phone. It’s one of those weird dynamics of this “new norm“ for me.
I havent been inside a bank in at least 5 years and I might visit an ATM once a year but thats only if I’m in foreign country.

The Mom

Premium Member
I still can't understand why cannot FL banks just do service through drive thru? No exposure of person to person contact.

There are certain things that require face to face appointments. For instance, if a spouse dies and his/her name needs to be removed from an account. Loans, etc that some people are not comfortable doing online. getting something out of a safety deposit box.

Most of these things can be delayed, but many people were not comfortable delaying any longer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If we are going to base potentially destructive decisions on it, I'd certainly like studies. That's not a big ask. Hand washing and masks don't compare to shuttering businesses long term. A popular restaurant in my area had to close forever because they couldn't do outdoor dining. They were willing to space out tables and eveything else. Governor said no. Studies are vital.
Like someone else posted, there are studies being done continuously and we will eventually have more information. However, decisions have to be made now based on the best information available. We can’t just do nothing and wait for studies to be published. We have a good basic understanding of how respiratory viruses spread and based on that understanding it’s pretty easy to get a ballpark idea of which activities are risky and which are not. Indoor dining is definitely more risky than outdoor dining and when you factor in the no masks more risky than a lot of other indoor activities. That doesn’t mean we have to shut down all restaurants now but in the pecking order when things start to get pulled back it’s high on the list.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I still can't understand why cannot FL banks just do service through drive thru? No exposure of person to person contact.
Didn’t the dmv force most of the customers to yield their drivers licenses 20 years ago?

What?
There are certain things that require face to face appointments. For instance, if a spouse dies and his/her name needs to be removed from an account. Loans, etc that some people are not comfortable doing online. getting something out of a safety deposit box.

Most of these things can be delayed, but many people were not comfortable delaying any longer.

Oh fine...take the “high road” 😡

Lilofan

That could be an issue if someone really needs to access their safety deposit box or really needs to meet with a banker because the customer does not have access to a computer or does not even know basic computer skills to do online business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom