Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

SoFloMagic

I just recently listened to a doctor on NPR who said the virus numbers will spike every time you close up shop and then reopen. He also said the only way to avoid it is until there is a vaccine . So I am not on board with stay at home orders until that happens for a disease that’s not an automatic death sentence.

I will be anxiously awaiting the you are an idiot that doctor is a hack and you should listen to me response.
Pretty sure what most doctors are saying is that cases will rise a bit when we open, but that if people follow physical distancing and masks, it shouldn't be a major issue.

I think it's great that Florida is reopening businesses, but the state seems to have missed the "if you follow distancing and wear masks" part of the guidance. You can't pick and choose here.

Kman101

Pretty sure what most doctors are saying is that cases will rise a bit when we open, but that if people follow physical distancing and masks, it shouldn't be a major issue.

I think it's great that Florida is reopening businesses, but the state seems to have missed the "if you follow distancing and wear masks" part of the guidance. You can't pick and choose here.

Exactly. We should be able to have things safely open if everyone was smart about it. The virus didn't go away when we shut down last time and it won't go away if we do it again. We have to learn to live with it right now and be smart. Not saying it will be a cure all and of course some spread will happen regardless ...

Another problem is so many people just wanted the virus to 'go away' and live like they were. I get it. But you can't do that.

Cramped spaces with large crowds, no social distancing and no masks are the big problems.

SoFloMagic

Exactly. We should be able to have things safely open if everyone was smart about it. The virus didn't go away when we shut down last time and it won't go away if we do it again. We have to learn to live with it right now and be smart. Not saying it will be a cure all and of course some spread will happen regardless ...

Another problem is so many people just wanted the virus to 'go away' and live like they were. I get it. But you can't do that.

Cramped spaces with large crowds, no social distancing and no masks are the big problems.
100%

I'd add - we the people have proved we cannot be trusted to follow the rules. It's time for government to step in and do their job and mandate masks and distancing to mitigate spread as much as possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where did I say I would rely on the intelligence of others?
If Disney were to “rely on everyone taking care of themself” - as you do - That’s the policy they’d be embracing by default.

They have rules...the jury is out on compliance and enforcement.

And those rules may not be effective.

I’m not trying to scare anyone...simply stating there is no doubt they’re weighing all these factors

Kman101

100%

I'd add - we the people have proved we cannot be trusted to follow the rules. It's time for government to step in and do their job and mandate masks and distancing to mitigate spread as much as possible.

I agree.

It's pretty startling how impossible it is for so many to even just keep their distance in a store. Why do people not like their own personal space??

I get in a theme park we have been conditioned for decades to 'fill in all available space' and even in a line people are afraid of 'line cutters' but we simply have to adapt to our current reality. Just do it.

Kman101

If Disney were to “rely on everyone taking care of themself” - as you do - That’s the policy they’d be embracing by default.

They have rules...the jury is out on compliance and enforcement.

And those rules may not be effective.

I’m not trying to scare anyone...simply stating there is no doubt they’re weighing all these factors

I'm mixed on Disney's enforcement. The yellow shirts are all gone once the sun sets at Disney Springs and people kind of do what they want. But they can't get it wrong, they HAVE to enforce it at the parks. But ...

I will say it seems Universal has been really doing a great job. It's why I say I feel better in a theme park than my local WalMart or Publix. Not saying they 'should' be open though, but here we are. The risk exists just about everywhere. I wish we could have things safely open and EVERYONE doing the right thing but apparently we can't. I can't say it really surprises me, human behavior, but it does disappoint me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Because they refused to set a policy to follow their own agenda for non-health reasons.

And backfiring.
Plain and simple.

All they did was announce reopening dates...that was a gutless move and void of leadership. Just my opinion that fits the historical record.

SoFloMagic

Because they refused to set a policy to follow their own agenda for non-health reasons.

And backfiring.
Plain and simple.

All they did was announce reopening dates...that was a gutless move and void of leadership. Just my opinion that fits the historical record.
Which is crazy because if they'd just mandated masks and distancing, they would have been much more successful in accomplishing their mission.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Can you explain California then?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Our supermarkets have had arrows to enforce one way travel down aisles since March. People still ignore it.
There’s a phenomenon in play here. When you make a bunch of nonsensical, stupid, backwards rules, people wind up rebelling against all the rules. You want to close beaches? That’s dumb. You want to tell people they can’t have funerals for loved ones? That’s dumb. You want to say it’s okay to buy a t-shirt at Walmart but not at the boutique in town. That’s dumb. You want us to wear masks when we are indoors in close proximity, not dumb, but too late, you already are considered dumb.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We're on the cusp of unimagineable disaster,
There’s a phenomenon in play here. When you make a bunch of nonsensical, stupid, backwards rules, people wind up rebelling against all the rules. You want to close beaches? That’s dumb. You want to tell people they can’t have funerals for loved ones? That’s dumb. You want to say it’s okay to buy a t-shirt at Walmart but not at the boutique in town. That’s dumb. You want us to wear masks when we are indoors in close proximity, not dumb, but too late, you already are considered dumb.
Spot on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not relying on anyone else to do anything. Not sure where you are getting that from since I didn’t say it. As I said before, I’m taking precautions and not going to worry or obsess over what others do or don’t do.
I’m using your example - and I believe you - as an illustration of how difficult Disney has it to come up with a formula that will work.

There are no perfect solutions/options because of the situation and Inconsistent public attitudes.

I’m sorry if I confused with that...I’ll shuffle along now 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom