Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

But at some point, businesses and local government need to take matters into their own hands when the big guys won't do anything. Thats what we are seeing in Miami.
What we are seeing in Miami is unnecessary focus on things that aren't the problem. In a few weeks you'll be touting the success there but the truth is that the real reason cases will drop is because there are so many infected currently there will be a "herd resistance" in a few weeks.

There is no evidence at all from anywhere that any business operating per guidelines leads to significant spread. WDW will be going above and beyond guidelines so there is no reason to delay opening.

Last edited by a moderator:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What we are seeing in Miami is unnecessary focus on things that aren't the problem. In a few weeks you'll be touting the success there but the truth is that the real reason cases will drop is because there are so many infected currently there will be a "herd resistance" in a few weeks.
Just Today thats been debunked as unachievable and possibly dangerous.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
But at some point, businesses and local government need to take matters into their own hands when the big guys won't do anything. Thats what we are seeing in Miami.
Agreed but Orange County needs the tax revenue, while Miami is a tourist hot spot too, the theme parks bring in the lion share of tax revenue to the county and state as a whole. Everything comes down to $.

Casper Gutman

The local Miami-Dade government is an example of government being the problem, not solving it.

There is no evidence at all from anywhere that any business operating per guidelines leads to significant spread. WDW will be going above and beyond guidelines so there is no reason to delay opening.
Herd... resistance... is... nonsense. The Lancet today reported a study of Spain showing that herd immunity is “unachievable.”

We need to stop pretending.

mickeymiss

I am rooting hard for Disney. It would be wonderful for them to have the same success that Universal appears to have had. Disney is outpacing any safety protocol I've seen. I'm discouraged by the relentless effort to shut them down before they even start as crickets chirp over at Universal.

It couldn't be made any safer for CM's with the addition of face shields. That is hospital level protection. Guests are going by choice and I have faith that they will follow the rules.

Last edited:

mickeymiss

This is a Disney site, but if you look at twitter and reddit, the calls for universal closing are there.

I don't doubt it but the collective screams about Disney are undeniably louder and wider reaching. It's a bigger company, sure, but they've also become a Florida scapegoat in spite of superior safety plans.

mickeymiss

I will take that as a request for clarity. CM's have been offered face shields which are advanced PPE. There is nothing in my observations even approaching that level of safety for employees anywhere outside of hospitals. Gee I wish people would argue in good faith and defend their positions. How are the CM's less safe with the addition of face shields?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will take that as a request for clarity. CM's have been offered face shields which are advanced PPE. There is nothing in my observations even approaching that level of safety for employees anywhere. Gee I wish people would argue in good faith and defend their positions. How are the CM's less safe with the addition of face shields?
News to me thank you. I’ll ask around.

DisneyCane

It's a prediction not a fact.

Herd... resistance... is... nonsense. The Lancet today reported a study of Spain showing that herd immunity is “unachievable.”

We need to stop pretending.
Just Today thats been debunked as unachievable and possibly dangerous.

I didn't say "herd immunity" I said resistance. After a certain point the rate of spread will slow.

Unless there is no immunity after recovery in which case no vaccine will work and some percentage of the world population will eventually die from it no matter what anyone does.
We'll see in a few weeks.

MaximumEd

Me either, but alas here we are! 150 bucks later, we're ready for a week at the parks. We're drivers. We're about 11 hours from the gates, so it's nothing to drive down through Alabama and Florida. Usually we just park the car however we're going to drive to parks this round.

When you roll through Alabama on I65, give me a wave as you pass exit 282. I’ll see you in WDW on the 13th.

Casper Gutman

I am rooting hard for Disney. It would be wonderful for them to have the same success that Universal appears to have had. Disney is outpacing any safety protocol I've seen. I'm discouraged by the relentless effort to shut them down before they even start as crickets chirp over at Universal.

It couldn't be made any safer for CM's with the addition of face shields. That is hospital level protection. Guests are going by choice and I have faith that they will follow the rules.
On what are you basing your claims of Universal’s success? We have no official knowledge of covid cases among their TMs. Over on InsideUniversal, several folks who seem to know say the TMs don’t feel safe at all. Anecdotal, of course, but that’s all we have to go on.

And Universal and SeaWorld should be closed.

Casper Gutman

It's a prediction not a fact.

I didn't say "herd immunity" I said resistance. After a certain point the rate of spread will slow.

Unless there is no immunity after recovery in which case no vaccine will work and some percentage of the world population will eventually die from it no matter what anyone does.
Unless I am completely mistaken, herd immunity and herd resistance are the same things.

Heppenheimer

Immunity after an infection and vaccine efficacy have no connection to each other. People who contract pertussis and diptheria may not have lasting immunity to the natural disease, but we have very effective vaccines against both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom