Do you still feel a loyalty to Disney?

rob0519

i don't know about you but I always felt a loyalty to Disney and avoided the competition I know it sounds strange but I did, i think true Disney fans have or feel this loyalty. I would steer folks to Disney when they visited us. Lately I have been more open to going to universal and suggesting it to others as an option to Disney. Is it something Disney has done lately or just the way they run things now, or the attitude of those in charge? Maybe it's the dewaltizing of the parks?

I've never felt loyalty to Disney. It's a corporation that never had any loyalty to any of it's customers. If you can't pay their price, they don't care. There are others that can and will. I don't feel their service and offerings give me value for my money I don't go as often. Plain and simple.

Phonedave

DIsney has created my loyality to WDW by creating MDE.

That, and the fact that we are DVC members, means that Disney has created a system where it is cheaper and easier to just visit WDW when we go to Orlando.

I feel no "loyality" to Disney per se, and actually as our vacation plans change, we may start going to Universal, or other attractions in the area. Park admission has become so expensive that we no longer feel a pressing need to buy admission for each day we are there, thus leaving days for us to *gasp* venture off property.

So, I guess in summary, my "loyality" (which never really was loyality) to Disney has gone down over the years.

Oh, and while I enjoy DCL cruises, I will be the first to say (and I do say it often) that they are not worth the price diffrence, except in the case of fmailies with kids under 10.

-dave

Walt Disney1955

No, I don't feel like there is a need for loyalty. This is 51 years after Walt died. While Disney still holds some of the same views as Walt did regarding service to the customer the truth is they charge us an arm and a leg to go and visit. It is criminal really. So more and more they view the consumer as just that, a consumer. Walt had a more personal approach to it. Now I am not saying that Disney still doesn't provide the greatest experience and that the staff aren't easily the best in the world, I am just saying they are a business and we are the consumer.

But this should never have anyone refuse to visit Universal because of this. Don't cheat yourself out of the chance to see Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure because it isn't Disney. When we go down we do a lot of things. Disney, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, Gatorland, Titanic Experience, the stuff down International Drive, etc. We used to always do Mystery Fun House when it was open, do people remember that? Plus Water Mania when it was open too. Disney was the best, but just because it is steak it doesn't mean I don't like pork chops either.

Goofyernmost

I always enjoyed the edu-tainment also. But then they put in the Frozen ride at Norway which leads me to believe they are going in a different direction with that sort of theming. Is it all about the money now? I hope they don't continue with this trend and ruin other attractions.
I will never understand that type of question. It has always been all about money. I takes money and a lot of it, to run a theme park and Disney has never been a charity. In the beginning there was enough curiosity to be a good thing to do, but, as the years went on, it became much less of a draw and people started to complain about not wanting to go to school on vacation. So, yes, money is what it is all about and what it has always been about. If the original EPCOT were still the draw it was in the beginning, you can rest assured they would not be spending millions to change it.

I never thought of the original Norway ride to be all that educational. I left the ride not really knowing anymore about the place then I did when I went in. To me it was probably the most boring dark ride that Disney ever created.

pax_65

I will never understand that type of question. It has always been all about money. I takes money and a lot of it, to run a theme park and Disney has never been a charity.

You're absolutely right, but Disney operated under a different money-making model. They thought long-term. They worked to exceed guest expectations so that you'd love Disney and want to return time and time again. They built the loyalty we're talking about. And I was as loyal as they come.

I remember going to WDW with someone who had never been there before. I told them, "Is anything not perfect? Disney will make it perfect. They will make it magical." And it was true. So you wanted to come back.

Today the focus is more short-term. They get people to come to WDW with advertising, special events and discounts - often associated with the popular dining plan, and then they work to maximize the spend of those people who come. This is a big benefit of MM+ - it's easier to spend than ever before. There's plenty of upcharge events and offers, and all you need to do is swipe your Magic band!

There are still some cast members who remember the old ways and work really hard to exceed guest expectations (probably because they love Disney too, or because that's the kind of people they are). But otherwise, I don't think Disney has any real quality goals except maybe to minimize "complaints". My sense is that if your room, meal, and park experience is "acceptable" they are fine with it. In fact, maybe their "solution" to make your experience even better would be an upcharge event. "Not happy with your fireworks viewing location? Try a dessert party!"

parkhopper1213

We've been to Disney for 23 trips and 24 is already scheduled. We are annual passholders for the past 4 years. Do I feel loyalty? No.
I will feel loyalty when Disney feels loyalty to its customers. We go because we enjoy our trips, it has nothing to do with loyalty.

graphite1326

You're absolutely right, but Disney operated under a different money-making model. They thought long-term. They worked to exceed guest expectations so that you'd love Disney and want to return time and time again. They built the loyalty we're talking about. And I was as loyal as they come.

I remember going to WDW with someone who had never been there before. I told them, "Is anything not perfect? Disney will make it perfect. They will make it magical." And it was true. So you wanted to come back.

Today the focus is more short-term. They get people to come to WDW with advertising, special events and discounts - often associated with the popular dining plan, and then they work to maximize the spend of those people who come. This is a big benefit of MM+ - it's easier to spend than ever before. There's plenty of upcharge events and offers, and all you need to do is swipe your Magic band!

There are still some cast members who remember the old ways and work really hard to exceed guest expectations (probably because they love Disney too, or because that's the kind of people they are). But otherwise, I don't think Disney has any real quality goals except maybe to minimize "complaints". My sense is that if your room, meal, and park experience is "acceptable" they are fine with it. In fact, maybe their "solution" to make your experience even better would be an upcharge event. "Not happy with your fireworks viewing location? Try a dessert party!"
Perfect response to Goofyernmost. Although I have come to the point, due to Goofy having an opinion on everything, I no longer really read their post.

danyoung56

We go because we enjoy our trips, it has nothing to do with loyalty.

I couldn't have put this better. I visit from Texas usually twice a year, and I always have a good time, enjoy the food, and see stuff that I haven't seen before. I visited Universal a few years ago during a corporate event, and I wasn't impressed. Perhaps when I retire and move to Florida I'll take the time to properly explore Universal and Sea World. But for now my vacation time is very valuable to me, and I'd never think of spending it anywhere else but Disney.

graphite1326

I couldn't have put this better. I visit from Texas usually twice a year, and I always have a good time, enjoy the food, and see stuff that I haven't seen before. I visited Universal a few years ago during a corporate event, and I wasn't impressed. Perhaps when I retire and move to Florida I'll take the time to properly explore Universal and Sea World. But for now my vacation time is very valuable to me, and I'd never think of spending it anywhere else but Disney.
Finally, someone who wasn't impressed with Universal either. We spent a day there and maybe, like you, we will go again and explore. But for now I will stick with WDW.

Goofyernmost

So why would anyone be loyal to a company after it has changed it's operating procedures and core values. Don't get me wrong, they still provide a very good, albeit complicated experience, but, not the same as before. Walt's philosophy was sound and expensive. I know we look at the cost from back when and think... goodness that was cheap, but when minimum wage was 60 cents or so an hour it was out of the reach of many people then too. It was an expensive place to operate and Walt wanted it to make money so that he could spend money on his other projects.

As much as we think things have changed they actually have changed in name only and the philosophy of a different time. I understand the feeling good aspect and that is what has drawn me back for 34 years, year after year, but, I also know that there are other things out there that are equally satisfying and shouldn't be missed. We pass this way but once. Loyalty to our entertainment venues shrinks our horizons, it doesn't broaden them. Again I understand someone going back again and again because of how the place made them feel. I have a problem with anyone saying that they must be loyal to that type of venue and in the process block the chance of expanding those horizons.

Rumrunner

I wouldn't call myself loyal per se, but WDW is definitely my happy place. People grumble and complain about alot of things that have happened/are going to happen when it comes to WDW, and I do disagree with some of the things that are done, but it has not yet gotten to the point that I do not want to go back. I would not come here if I didn't enjoy myself here any more. Disney does not get all of my vacation $, as I love spending a week at an all-inclusive in the Caribbean once a year, too.
I do my grumbling in the planning stage and on this forum but once we physically get to Disney we make everything positive. Our experiences have been awesome over the years and a lot of that is the attitude we take with us. I wish Disney would be more concerned about the patrons and instead of decreasing the value, as they seem to be doing, would increase the value for those of us spending our hard earned money at the parks and resorts.

pax_65

So why would anyone be loyal to a company after it has changed it's operating procedures and core values.

I think many people remain loyal from the earlier years, so Disney is living off that loyalty instead of working to earn it and build it with each guest who visits.

I agree with you, though... it's probably better that I'm not feeling as "loyal" to Disney any longer as that has opened the door to new experiences and new places.

Goofyernmost

I think many people remain loyal from the earlier years, so Disney is living off that loyalty instead of working to earn it and build it with each guest who visits.

I agree with you, though... it's probably better that I'm not feeling as "loyal" to Disney any longer as that has opened the door to new experiences and new places.
Yes, Walt Disney's coat tails were very long and many are still riding on them. But, it won't last forever, they have to produce and I think it finally dawned on them that unless they do something big soon, they will be the ones blamed for the destruction of the Disney that we all loved and admired. Also at one point they were the only ones doing it that way. As TWDC moves closer and closer to being just another theme park, that is becoming a more relevant reality. Perhaps, they have reached the pinnacle and can no longer dazzle the public. All things have a high point, it's possible that they have reached that and the best they can do is as good as the competition.

Sonic Sunglasses

Loyalty? Hardly. Preference? Of course. I'll even cop to that preference being weighted by experience and nostalgia. I grew up with Disney movies and shows and parks, and I enjoy them to this day. However, I would check out Universal's park without a second thought if they were to finally offer me a compelling reason to do so. And if I ever find that Disney is no longer entertaining to me, I'll stop going. It's all quite simple, really.

Goofyernmost

Loyalty? Hardly. Preference? Of course. I'll even cop to that preference being weighted by experience and nostalgia. I grew up with Disney movies and shows and parks, and I enjoy them to this day. However, I would check out Universal's park without a second thought if they were to finally offer me a compelling reason to do so. And if I ever find that Disney is no longer entertaining to me, I'll stop going. It's all quite simple, really.
Not a critical question, just a question based on the idea that you didn't make clear. Have you been to Uni? There are things there that should make Disney hang their heads in shame. Not all, but, some really great, fun things. My preference is now and always has been WDW, but, very early on I went to the others in the area. On different trips, just like now, none of those others have been my total target and WDW has always had a place in my trip where not all the others have. WDW was the first theme park I ever experienced and it has had a lasting hold on me. I do, however, encourage people to try other places because I feel that they are missing out on a lot of quality things. I know Magic Bus makes that much more difficult, but, maybe consider renting a car just once and check out the other options.

Sonic Sunglasses

Not a critical question, just a question based on the idea that you didn't make clear. Have you been to Uni? There are things there that should make Disney hang their heads in shame. Not all, but, some really great, fun things. My preference is now and always has been WDW, but, very early on I went to the others in the area. On different trips, just like now, none of those others have been my total target and WDW has always had a place in my trip where not all the others have. WDW was the first theme park I ever experienced and it has had a lasting hold on me. I do, however, encourage people to try other places because I feel that they are missing out on a lot of quality things. I know Magic Bus makes that much more difficult, but, maybe consider renting a car just once and check out the other options.
I have not been to Universal. I have, however, researched the park and spoken at length with people who have gone there numerous times. Fundamentally, I couldn't find any compelling reasons to spend the time and money allotted on a park themed after things I really don't care that much about. The heavy focus placed on the Harry Potter films is a particular non-starter for me (thought the first movie was tedious, skipped the rest along with the books). I feel my decision is a considered one, subject to change if conditions warrant. While I'm sure Universal is an entertaining park, it currently offers little entertainment value to me.

pax_65

I hate that so many threads become "Disney vs. Universal" since it's not about that for me, it's about "Disney now vs. what Disney used to be".

That said, I agree that in general, Universal has done a better job in recent years incorporating innovative new technology into their attractions. That makes me sad because Disney used to be the clear leader and Universal was always playing catch up.

Uni has some attractions are particularly "fun" and thrilling so I can understand why the parks are so popular among older kids and teens (I'm thinking in particular about Spiderman, Hulk, Simpsons, Ripsaw Falls and Mummy).

With Harry Potter, Uni showed they could create an immersive theme that rivals anything Disney has ever done (I don't know if Pandora competes since I haven't seen it yet.)

I'm glad that Universal is pushing Disney... hopefully this will lead to many great attractions at Disney in coming years...

Goofyernmost

I have not been to Universal. I have, however, researched the park and spoken at length with people who have gone there numerous times. Fundamentally, I couldn't find any compelling reasons to spend the time and money allotted on a park themed after things I really don't care that much about. The heavy focus placed on the Harry Potter films is a particular non-starter for me (thought the first movie was tedious, skipped the rest along with the books). I feel my decision is a considered one, subject to change if conditions warrant. While I'm sure Universal is an entertaining park, it currently offers little entertainment value to me.
It, of course, is a personal decision. I might just add that I have not read one Harry Potter book, have not seen even a coming attraction clip of a Harry Potter movie and have absolutely no interest in doing so. However, the attractions based on that venue are incredible and so well done. I have never had an interest in Pirates yet I love PoTC. I have never been a fan or believer in Haunted Houses, yet, I love HM. That goes for so many attractions at Disney that I can't even begin to list them. It's not what I have a entrenched interest in that attracts me, it is the manner in which it is presented that brings me back again and again. It is the quality of the show, not the content. I have seen only one Star Wars Movie with my grandson and one more lately just to see how they fit in Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, but, I will go to see Star Wars Land. I have never gotten past the first half hour of Avatar, but, I will be seeing the land at Animal Kingdom because it looks fascinating even though I couldn't say awake during the movie.

Sometimes we don't know what we are interested in until we actually experience it. That is my reason for diversity in my Theme Park participations. Nothing, but, unthemed roller coasters will not bring me to any park. Quality will!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom