Do you still feel a loyalty to Disney?

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
i don't know about you but I always felt a loyalty to Disney and avoided the competition I know it sounds strange but I did, i think true Disney fans have or feel this loyalty. I would steer folks to Disney when they visited us. Lately I have been more open to going to universal and suggesting it to others as an option to Disney. Is it something Disney has done lately or just the way they run things now, or the attitude of those in charge? Maybe it's the dewaltizing of the parks?

DisneyJoe

Many don't look at themselves and how they grow and change; I know I am not the same person that I was when took my first trip with my wife and son in 1997.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Yes I feel a loyalty. Despite some of the questionable decisions lately I still enjoy my weekly visits. But unlike when I first moved here two years ago, I don't spend all my time at WDW, I enjoy the other experiences the area has to offer.
True, but I will be going tonight to see the Hooters at Epcot F&W.

pilka214

I have an undying loyalty to Disney and their entire brand, regardless of some of their missteps over the years. However, I've always loved the competition too, I'm a huge fan of the Universal parks as well as Busch gardens and seaworld. I also rant and rave about DCL, but will often tell friends in my age groups to go to Royal Caribbean instead as i understand Disney's product at sea is more niche and appeals to a certain crowd.

Competition amongst companies like universal and Disney only benefits the consumer. The opening of HP at UO really drove disney to step up their game, and in turn Universal has had to step up theirs in return... in the end we all win!

AndyS2992

Not really..? Huge Disney fan and Disney has always been a priority on any Florida trip however I'm also a theme park junkie and so we also always visit Universal and other surrounding parks. Magic Kingdom still remains my favourite theme park out of all the parks I've visited but not visiting other theme parks just because you are a Disney fan just seems kinda silly and those that do are missing out. But every time I see Disney announce yet another premium event it irks me, also starting the Halloween parties in August is an annoyance.

Clamman73

No loyalty per se...it's just that I want to be there for whether it's nostalgic reasons or for what they have today. Nobody has to lecture me about the pull-the-wool over eyes things that are happening today, I fully see what's happening, but I still want to be in "The World" because I like to be in that place.
The competition is cool, but it's 90% WDW, 10% other.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have never felt a "loyalty" to Disney. I am a big Disney fan but I am also a fan of themed entertainment in general so I would being doing myself a dis-service by not also visiting Universal. Just like movies, I am a big fan of Disney, Marvel and Start Wars movies, but that doesn't stop me from going to see movies made by other companies.

Rumrunner

i don't know about you but I always felt a loyalty to Disney and avoided the competition I know it sounds strange but I did, i think true Disney fans have or feel this loyalty. I would steer folks to Disney when they visited us. Lately I have been more open to going to universal and suggesting it to others as an option to Disney. Is it something Disney has done lately or just the way they run things now, or the attitude of those in charge? Maybe it's the dewaltizing of the parks?
Have been going to Disney World since 1975 and there are definitely changes. I remain loyal but that loyalty has become paper thin. The drift has been subtle until Iger then it was accelerated to warp speed. Iger is not good for Disney or the affiliates of Disney. He has forgotten who his core customers are and their value system.
Have been a loyal Disney World fan since 1975. I try to overlook many of the things that are bothersome about the direction of the new Disney culture. It is getting more and more difficult to ignore and to be loyal. Iger in my opinion has not been good for Disney or any of the Disney affiliates. He has become lost in his little bubble as he drifts farther and farther from the values of the core Disney patron. Maybe the board will take that into consideration in the next CEO and get back to basics. Hope I am still around to see it.

Raineman

I wouldn't call myself loyal per se, but WDW is definitely my happy place. People grumble and complain about alot of things that have happened/are going to happen when it comes to WDW, and I do disagree with some of the things that are done, but it has not yet gotten to the point that I do not want to go back. I would not come here if I didn't enjoy myself here any more. Disney does not get all of my vacation $, as I love spending a week at an all-inclusive in the Caribbean once a year, too.

Goofyernmost

I don't understand the loyalty posture. Why should I be loyal to something that I have no attachment to other then a few days a year of entertainment. It's like saying that I can only be loyal to one TV network and pass up all the rest because there's only one station for me. As a kid I was a big fan of Disney with movies, and the MM Club and the televised Disneyland shows (later Wonderful World of Color). I also always remember watching "The Legend of Sleepy Hallow" on Halloween night. Then I grew up and didn't really have a connection to Disney again until I was 35 years old and brought my children to WDW. Then I became hooked on the theme park concept, but, I never denied that other parks were also good places to go. When we went to Florida, WDW was always on the calendar, but so was Sea World, Universal, Bush Gardens, Cyprus Gardens, Silver Springs, Side trips to St. Petersburg, Tampa, Kennedy Space Center.. were also on the agenda.

I never felt that I owed them any particular loyalty, they did owe me something though because I was spending my very hard earned money to visit and they had to provide what I was looking for. They have provided that for me over the last 34 years, but, so has Universal and the others. All have their strong points and weaknesses. So loyalty would be no. Enjoyment and still willing to spend money to go there would be yes.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I don't understand the loyalty posture. Why should I be loyal to something that I have no attachment to other then a few days a year of entertainment. It's like saying that I can only be loyal to one TV network and pass up all the rest because there's only one station for me. As a kid I was a big fan of Disney with movies, and the MM Club and the televised Disneyland shows (later Wonderful World of Color). I also always remember watching "The Legend of Sleepy Hallow" on Halloween night. Then I grew up and didn't really have a connection to Disney again until I was 35 years old and brought my children to WDW. Then I became hooked on the theme park concept, but, I never denied that other parks were also good places to go. When we went to Florida, WDW was always on the calendar, but so was Sea World, Universal, Bush Gardens, Cyprus Gardens, Silver Springs, Side trips to St. Petersburg, Tampa, Kennedy Space Center.. were also on the agenda.

I never felt that I owed them any particular loyalty, they did owe me something though because I was spending my very hard earned money to visit and they had to provide what I was looking for. They have provided that for me over the last 34 years, but, so has Universal and the others. All have their strong points and weaknesses. So loyalty would be no. Enjoyment and still willing to spend money to go there would be yes.

Millions of people feel loyalty to their football team and wouldn't root for another team or step foot in their stadium. I think entity's create a loyalty and connection to their customer fan base in different ways. I think once that connection is made it natural to develop a loyalty.

Disneyhead'71

Walt Disney showed me the magic of themed entertainment, the wonder of mechanical wizardry, and the majesty of the natural world. He filled my head with an unquenchable curiosity that has led me around the globe on a quest to see it all.

To deny myself an enriching experience because of some unrequited loyalty to a multinational mega-corporation seems anathema to Walt's philosophy.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I enjoy visiting WDW. I also enjoy visiting Universal. Each has its unique features. I'm not going to be so shortsighted that my love of Disney will require me to ignore other theme parks out of "loyalty".

Goofyernmost

Millions of people feel loyalty to their football team and wouldn't root for another team or step foot in their stadium. I think entity's create a loyalty and connection to their customer fan base in different ways. I think once that connection is made it natural to develop a loyalty.
Maybe so, I don't have that affliction. I like Disney style theme parks that is my loyalty, but, which one I enjoy is much more wide spread. You wouldn't catch me at a Six Flags. If one confines themselves to one football team they are going to be disappointed on many occasions. Usually a lot more disappointment then celebration. If you just love football, and are willing to just enjoy the game, then you are going to go home happy much more often and not have missed out on some very good plays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom