Do you Feel Turned off by Latest Disney Television Add

Goofyernmost

Wearing a mask wouldn’t bother me, but I can’t think of anything less appealing than going to a theme park during a pandemic—the disjuncture is too jarring for me. I won’t be back until life in general starts to return to normal.
I also do not want to go when this Pandemic is going on. I also do not want to spend the day wearing a face mask even though I know it is necessary and not a big deal. It's just something I don't want to do. I wear them all the time when in stores and other places with people I do not know that more and more lately I have found myself still wearing a mask after I get in the car and start driving. I don't usually wear one in the car by myself, but it has gotten to the point where if I don't concentrate on "how awful they are", I stop noticing it. I hope this isn't going to be something we have to deal with forever, but the sooner we do this and quit whining, the quicker we will get it to end. But, that will not happen as long as people decide that it is to uncomfortable to protect themselves and others. Not going to Disney is the logical thing to do if you don't feel comfortable.

The concept that it is a "freedom" situation when it is just a "safety" situation would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Do we think that soldiers are no longer free because they wear a flack vest and helmet in a war zone. Of course we don't because it is equipment to protect themselves from death, as is the mask. Before anybody says it, if you die from a bullet you are not anymore dead than if you die from a virus. You are still dead and if you don't care enough about yourself to protect yourself why not save all of us from a lingering problem, find a book by Dr. Kevorkian. He had all kinds of way of putting people with a death wish out of their misery.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I also do not want to go when this Pandemic is going on. I also do not want to spend the day wearing a face mask even though I know it is necessary and not a big deal. It's just something I don't want to do. I wear them all the time when in stores and other places with people I do not know that more and more lately I have found myself still wearing a mask after I get in the car and start driving. I don't usually wear one in the car by myself, but it has gotten to the point where if I don't concentrate on "how awful they are", I stop noticing it. I hope this isn't going to be something we have to deal with forever, but the sooner we do this and quit whining, the quicker we will get it to end. But, that will not happen as long as people decide that it is to uncomfortable to protect themselves and others. Not going to Disney is the logical thing to do if you don't feel comfortable.

The concept that it is a "freedom" situation when it is just a "safety" situation would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Do we think that soldiers are no longer free because they wear a flack vest and helmet in a war zone. Of course we don't because it is equipment to protect themselves from death, as is the mask. Before anybody says it, if you die from a bullet you are not anymore dead than if you die from a virus. You are still dead and if you don't care enough about yourself to protect yourself why not save all of us from a lingering problem, find a book by Dr. Kevorkian. He had all kinds of way of putting people with a death wish out of their misery.
This is my favorite post of yours ever.

The one slightly encouraging thing is that I feel like the vast majority of us are “moving to the middle” and are coming to a consensus. Tough times still...but I think there is a compromise there

NelsonRD

The problem for me, and main reason I cannot return to Disney at this time, is there is currently a lot of suffering. Between job losses, illness, depression, and all related aspects of the current environment, mentally, I cannot in good faith enjoy a vacation at Disney. I understand that the attendance can actually help people return to normalcy, but I prefer to stay outside of the reduced capacity that is currently attending. Disney normally helps me escape the reality and stresses of daily life, but there are too many reminders, the way the park is operating, to effectually suspend reality. The commercial adds proofs of this for me. Time heals, and I hope to return in 2021.

Goofyernmost

The problem for me, and main reason I cannot return to Disney at this time, is there is currently a lot of suffering. Between job losses, illness, depression, and all related aspects of the current environment, mentally, I cannot in good faith enjoy a vacation at Disney. I understand that the attendance can actually help people return to normalcy, but I prefer to stay outside of the reduced capacity that is currently attending. Disney normally helps me escape the reality and stresses of daily life, but there are too many reminders, the way the park is operating, to effectually suspend reality. The commercial adds proofs of this for me. Time heals, and I hope to return in 2021.
That is a very real and commendable attitude to have. We are people. People have emotions or at least should have. The feeling of guilt is one that is basic to human existence and it is what keeps most of us being caring and kind people. This virus will pass and the probability that Disney will still exist is quite high. When we have all freed ourselves of the evils that have accumulated over the last couple of years the sooner we can become the people we ought to be. I commend you for your feeling and you decisions based on your feelings. That is the way we all should be, but do not have the strength to do so.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

Thanks! I have to say even though I understand it, and wear masks myself whenever I go anywhere, it’s still jarring to see it in WDW....it’s almost like the first time I was at a Broadway show and they broke the fourth wall...the real world is invading the “magic”
I think I may have rolled my eyes the very first time I saw the commercial and thought, "oh give me a break", lol...but then I thought that it was no worse than seeing the Dominoes Pizza commercial with the delivery person wearing a mask and some others I've seen. And then I found myself liking the girl's gold polka dot mask and when I ran across the fabric about a month ago, I actually bought some so I could make one for our trip next year! 😂 So if anything, they've done more of a PSA for mask-wearing in my eyes!

fball1208

The commercial is sad. It’s a turn off going to Disney now and until things are back to normal. People including myself are not going to spend thousands on a trip for less than magical visits. Disney is about the show and the magic it creates. The restrictions have completely lost that magic and turned Disney into your everyday theme park. Hopefully we are back to normal life by 2022 when our next trip is planned.

Tomi-Rocket

I appreciate the ad, I work in an after school program at an elementary school so I love seeing the kids wearing the masks and having fun! Plus, in the winter it does cool off a bit even in FL, lol. I can also say when I’m with my K’ers there have been ZERO complaints on wearing the masks and we are required to wear them inside and out. I also went to Disney in Sept wearing a mask. Was it fun? Nope. But it was necessary and to be honest it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. The mask never got totally wet or even really damp. But I admit I did not wear my regular make up because I kept thinking of how gross it would be to get sweat AND make up on the mask. As a matter of fact it wasn’t bad enough to cancel the trip we Ieave for on Mon. I just would never bemoan people/families having fun masked or not. I think it’s important to make it seem as normal as possible especially for something like a vacation as it seems they are going to be around for a while they way things are going anyway. 😷

Last edited:

TK294

Everyone is smiling but it looks as fun as a tax audit.
I went with my family in July. We were there for Epcot reopening day. What we liked was the way we were greeted by all the cast members. We are AP/ DVC so we drive down once or twice a year.
The masks were rough in July when the temperature was in the mid 90s. The only unbearable park was Animal Kingdom because there was no place to cool down indoors. We were worn out by the stifling heat of the Safari due to the lack of air flow with the plastic flaps between the rows.
We skipped going to Animal Kingdom a second time and swam in a friend's pool all day instead.
After having been in a New Jersey lockdown where you couldn't eat inside, walk in an outdoor park or or visit a mall for months, or Heaven forbid, have a child touch a swing set, it was a nice break.
The early park closings basically encouraged us to eat dinners and explore off property. Driving down as we usually do was an even better idea this trip. We got to avoid the buses and bus lines, which helped us to keep our distance.
My oldest daughter didn't get to see any of her DCP friends due to the crisis. The general atmosphere was different for our July trip, but we decided in advance to enjoy ourselves in spite of everything.
A word of advice: make dining reservations. We ate 2 table service meals this trip and would have eaten more just to stay in some air-conditioning, but almost every restaurant was full.
You will see how much people smile with their eyes and the mannerisms, and you will be able to tell when they're not.

eliza61nyc

It reeks of desperation. It's not cringy or anything, just kind of sad.
not following, how is it "desperation". Actually show that they have a good marketing department. face mask are required over 90% of the world right now.
I think it would actually be misleading NOT to have actors in mask. They are required for admittance, show the public that is possible to have a magical time while wearing the mask.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
not following, how is it "desperation". Actually show that they have a good marketing department. face mask are required over 90% of the world right now.
I think it would actually be misleading NOT to have actors in mask. They are required for admittance, show the public that is possible to have a magical time while wearing the mask.
Not related to masks. The commercial I saw ended with something like "Save Now" at the end of it. It came off, IMO as if Disney was desperate for guests, which they are but still, I was surprised to see it. Haven't seen the commercial lately. It could be a regional thing.

Toodycat

I think it’s probably wise of them to show people wearing masks because it sets the expectation for guests that they are required. If guests are on the fence about whether or not they and their kids are safe there, that image may help them decide. Personally, I’m not visiting until there’s a vaccine, but my health is very fragile.

mergatroid

I dont see where it reeks of desperation or is sad. Disney has traditionally run ads early on to get people thinking ahead of time about a holiday trip to Disney. Many families have that time of year as a traditional time to go, and will be reminded that this is something to start considering. This time where Covid changes things, altering the ad content to show masks being worn will highlight their mask guideline. I agree Disney because of long time losses that continue to build, is desperate to entice people to go, increase the bookings, but that doesnt show as desperation in the ad.

Agreed. They have to show the guests wearing masks in the ad, otherwise it would send out the wrong message. If they're open then they're going to advertise. If they're going to advertise, might as well prepare people for what to expect. I don't see desperation either.

Sax Man

All I know is, my family and I have done nothing these past 8 months or so. Had to cancel a dream 20th wedding anniversary trip to Italy,
Had to cancel a Disney cruise, and 2 trips to Disney World. We have plans to stay at Kidani Village for 7 days over Thanksgiving,
And you know what? I will be happy to wear a mask. Even if we have to stay in the 2 bedroom suite for the entire time, at least it's a change of scenery

Cmdr_Crimson

They had started re-airing the one commercial that gas the giraffe coming into the boys window and the monorail flying in the clouds....The only thing that bugs me about this is this shot in the ad...
disney-world-wishes-large-7.jpg

Since when did the monorail go inside MK? From where the monorail is in this shot it would be where the peoplemover is...I hate when they make the illusion this is actually the way your going to see it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom