Do you actually eat at DLR?

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
On a recent day trip to DLR, I suggested eating outside of the park and bringing in food and beverages. In my opinion, the quality of the food has deteriorated and the prices have skyrocketed. You're being ripped off. Extremely.

Look at these fries from Award Weiners:

20190914_162815_HDR.jpg

Now, I ain't no food snob, but just look at that. The homeless shelter has better food than this crap. It's a small portion of Ore Ida fries in a weird shape with a tiny amount of cold bagged cheese sprinkled on top of it. This sets you back about 10 bucks.

I know it's a theme park and they're practically known for crappy food at outrageous prices, but I feel like Disneyland is better than this. Every meal I've had here in the last year has been overpriced slop. You can just tell they're cheating you in every way possible. For the high prices and small portion at River Belle Terrace, I think they could at least provide a coffee cup larger than a 1978 R2-D2 doll. I had to ask for about 10 refills from the poor server.

What really disturbs me is the trend that everything that happens in the parks now is centered around food. We don't get rides or any of that fancy stuff anymore. We get special food. Is this actually working? Are people showing up to eat this overpriced junk? Am I alone in refusing to eat or drink anything from DLR ever again at this point?

mandelbrot

You can find great quality food all over DLR . Nothing will ever be a tremendous (over even good) value however due to resort pricing. So if you're looking for value-priced items, yeah look elsewhere but there are lots of delicious food options if you're willing to splurge a bit.

wowsmom

We do enjoy eating there, but not all things are great, not all things are worth the money and the prices have definitely been going up. I saw a post somewhere about the drinks at Carthay Circle going up in price, so I checked Hearthstone for my favorite Magical Star Cocktail and it's gone up to $16. o_O Two years ago, it was $13. Thankfully, I know how to make it at home, but I do like to have it while out sometimes. That price will keep me at just one though.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Another day another rant about another thing.
OK so don't buy the food....

Personally I have eaten at Blue Bayou, Red Rose Taverne, Pacific Wharf Cafe, and Earl of Sandwich.
No complaints on price or quality for me.

That's not to say I never ate outside of the property while there.
After all I was there for a week each time and did other things.

Rich T

Last time I went (a year ago) I had the breakfast sandwich from TL, Mexican food at the DCA Wharf, and a burger from Hungry Bear. All were overpriced, of course. The breakfast sandwich was good, the rest was meh. Aso had a chocolate shake at Ghirardeli, which was fantastic.

The prices are really getting out of hand, though. If I ever go again, I'm filling my coat pockets with baggies full of Costco Peanut Butter Pretzels.

Snow Queen

Typically going down without any transportation of my own, yeah. Going elsewhere in the middle of a park day is a significant hassle. I definitely wouldn't go for what's in that photo, but I find their burgers to be pretty above average fast food burgers, Naples is great, and I quite enjoy the Garden Grill, though the meat can sometimes be a bit hit or miss.

SuddenStorm

$6 Boudin sourdough loaf (sliced if you buy it inside) at DCA is a must.... Excellent for snacking during lines and shows.

Otherwise, the $5 chimichanga is a good snack, as well as the $8 funnel cakes at Stagedoor.

And Plaza Inn Fried Chicken is the best real meal at the resort from a quantity/quality/price standpoint... But be sure to sub potatoes instead of the microwave veggies they usually come with.

I typically bring tons of candy, Clif bars, and energy drinks if I'm going for a full day to help minimize my in park food spending.

Darkbeer1

Typically going down without any transportation of my own, yeah. Going elsewhere in the middle of a park day is a significant hassle. I definitely wouldn't go for what's in that photo, but I find their burgers to be pretty above average fast food burgers, Naples is great, and I quite enjoy the Garden Grill, though the meat can sometimes be a bit hit or miss.

Walk to GardenWalk? Use ART to go to CtrCity and the Packing House, Outlets of Orange, etc.

Panera Bread, Mimi's Cafe, McDonald's, Tony Roma's, Denny's (Heck, I love the Senior Menu plus the 15% AARP discount - They make a great Chicken Fried Steak). Pizza Press is awesome, saw a group of Plaids eating there Saturday night (still in costume).

Plenty of options that you don't need to drive to.

SuddenStorm

Use ART to go to CtrCity and the Packing House

This area is a gem. If anyone's ever going to Disneyland for a half day, go here before or after. Tons of great food at reasonable prices.

So many food options off Center Street Promenade, and Packing House is insane.

Also, I recently discovered this solid hole in the wall Chinese food place off Lincoln and Anaheim Blvd next to the Vons, China Wall. They give insane amounts of food at very fair prices. The two item plate is $6.69 post tax, and the one item plate (where they just give you a double portion of the one item) is like $5.50. Baja California right next door is good as well. Great college food.

mickEblu

I find the quality of food at DL anywhere from average to good. With the occasional standout. As far as value, you can still find some good options but some are way overpriced. Last week I had $13 Ronto Wrap. A few weeks ago I went Cafe Orleans with my wife and we shared a small salad, pomme frittes and a shrimp n grits entree for less than $35. Not to mention the fact that we re being served in a beautiful setting on the outdoor patio. Now I get that some people might eat all of this food alone but even so much better value than a 13$ Ronto Wrap or a 10$ ore ida fries. My wife and I tend to share stuff all day long. We don’t like to overcommit to one snack or meal. I think the day we went to Cafe Orleans, we also had a cheese dog from DCA and 4 carnitas tacos from the food truck in the backlot. The latter I believe being a decent value. Don’t remember the price but don’t remember feeling like it was highway robbery.

TrainsOfDisney

I do. It’s definitely gone down hill since my first visit about 10 years ago... but I can still eat there for sure.

The salmon at plaza inn is my go to. I also quite enjoy the tuna salad at Jolly Holiday.

At DCA the Mexican counter service is decent.

Lots of places have gone down hill.... the Mexican restaurant in Frontierland used to have very good Mahi Mahi grilled fish tacos... now they are fried tilapia... no thanks. I tried the chicken tacos and it was very poor quality chicken I thought. Cauliflower tacos were ok... not sure if I’m hip enough to see the appeal. Ha.

PiratesMansion

I haven't been in the last year, but the only thing that I truly thought was way overpriced on my last visit (and overhyped) were the Lobster Nachos. $20 for the most overrated, unremarkable nachos I'd had in a long time. I'm also not a lobster person, but bought the sucker hype that these were still amazing even for a lobster hater. Nope. I should have invested the $20 in a Ghiradelli Sundae instead.

I was also bummed earlier this year to learn that apparently Steakhouse 55 has removed the 24 layer chocolate cake. Not to knock the steak or the service I had last year, both of which were great, but it definitely gives me less of a reason to go back.

There are definitely less drinks with effects at Trader Sam's than there used to be. I remember in 2013 and the first visits afterwards effects were happening constantly; not so last year. That said, I could see people complaining that the effects were annoying because of their frequency, so that might not solely be on Disney's cost cutting.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any decline in the QUALITY of the food. Price is definitely a bit much in general, however.

TrainsOfDisney

Regarding price... I was in line for a blue milk... realized that for the same $8 I could ride the monorail over to Salt & Straw and get a double scoop I was like “done... I am so done”. And I quickly bolted for Tomorrowland.

Seriously... salt & Straw... just eat there for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Sailor310

The Paradice Garden Grill has switched over to mexican food now, but twice I had a gyro and baklava that I really enjoyed for under $20 ( I think).
I was going to Cafe Orleans the other night. Everyone I asked said it was open til 11:00, but of course it closed at 9:00. I ended up trying a walk-up at Blue Bayou. I got in and ended up spending $80 for steak, salad, mint julip, and creme brulee. Not a great value at all, but I enjoyed every bite.

mickEblu

Totally agree on the lobster nachos. They re a little better with the steak but that’s not saying much.

I LOVE Steakhouse 55. Next time order the off menu flash fried spinach to go along with your steak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom