Do Universal make full use of Marvel in Orlando?

DarleneBurrows

Original Poster
For such a huge IP, do you think Universal actually make full use of the IP they have on their hands? I am aware it's a Disney product, and there is that conflicting view point you don't want to promote a Disney franchise, but even so the other side of the card says they should do more with the IP to promote the actual theme parks in Orlando - they would be a massive draw if fully utilized. The sole major attractions they are using is Spiderman, and Hulk (not including the other lame ones).

I very rarely even see the characters about on a meet and greet, etc

Those in the know, what are the exact details of the deal with Marvel? Can they not utilize more of the Marvel characters like Captain America, Iron Man etc?

What do you all think ... i just feel it's underused for what is the biggest franchise around at the moment, i'd even say it might have surpassed Star Wars at the moment with the current generation.

Last edited:

lebeau

I have read the contract. It's been online for years. The way the contract is written, Universal can do pretty much anything they want with Marvel. So I am a bit surprised they haven't made more/better use of the IP given its increased relevance/popularity. The thing is, we don't know what's been going on behind closed doors. Disney has pushed the boundaries by announcing Guardians of the Galaxy in Orlando and doing the Doctor Strange meet and greet. That almost certainly had to go through an arbiter. The contract stipulates that any disagreements between Disney and Universal will be decided through arbitration. That's a private process by design. So, we'll never know if Universal has pushed for greater flexibility or not. Maybe they are getting shut down by Disney or maybe they are content updating Spider-Man and Hulk.

As for character meet and greets, I see them out all the time. **shrug**

OG Runner

As for character meet and greets, I see them out all the time. **shrug**

I was going to mention the meet & greets also. During my visit in May, I say Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops, Captain America
and Spiderman, as well as, Hobgoblin and Doctor Doom. I do wish they would update the X-Men uniforms, but they are definitely
there, meeting and greeting.

lebeau

I was going to mention the meet & greets also. During my visit in May, I say Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops, Captain America
and Spiderman, as well as, Hobgoblin and Doctor Doom. I do wish they would update the X-Men uniforms, but they are definitely

I would love a full refresh. The artwork in the area is very 90's which was a dark time for Marvel. It's all by Adam Kubert who was the best artist at Marvel at the time, so it could have been worse. But I would love to have someone come in and use the more modern designs for the characters. Or better yet, go full on immersion instead of trying to look like a comic book come to life.

I don't see that happening. Whether it's a legal issue or a lack of desire on Universal's part is unknown. Admittedly, Universal has a lot going on. They may just figure that Marvel Superhero Island ain't broke.

Wendy Pleakley

The sole major attractions they are using is Spiderman, and Hulk (not including the other lame ones).

I'd actually say the only attraction that really makes use of the Marvel brand is Spider-Man. Take the name off the Hulk coaster and it's still the same attraction, really.

I think the biggest benefit for Universal holding the Marvel theme park rights isn't the ability to build attractions, but rather to prevent Disney from doing so.

If the situation were different, such as those Marvel theme park rights costing a lot more, I imagine Universal would be happy to give up their Marvel land.

JT3000

The costumes were updated several years ago.

JoeCamel

When I went a couple of weeks ago it was early and empty. They had Spidey's barker out in the street directing people to the M&G. They promote them to the point the characters arrive en masse on cycles then get off and do meets every day.

Look at me responding to Jordan the Troll, who woulda thunk it?

NormC

We have photos with many characters at IoA. My daughter was wearing a Captain America hoodie and she was so excited to see him.

@DarleneBurrows are you a fan of Ikra Nawaz in your avatar photo?

Last edited:

lebeau

Rouge, Storm & Cyclops.

I know Cyclops has switched from blue to red, Rogue wears some kind of hood thing and Storm's costume is just all over the map as best I can tell. How would you like to see the costumes updated? Do you think Universal should try to keep up with the frequent costume changes from the comics?

OG Runner

I know Cyclops has switched from blue to red, Rogue wears some kind of hood thing and Storm's costume is just all over the map as best I can tell. How would you like to see the costumes updated? Do you think Universal should try to keep up with the frequent costume changes from the comics?

I don't think they need to keep up with current changes in the comics, but the X-Men costumes are not as iconic as Spiderman, Captain America, or even Doctor Doom. Maybe the Jim Lee versions from the 90s even.

lebeau

I don't think they need to keep up with current changes in the comics, but the X-Men costumes are not as iconic as Spiderman, Captain America, or even Doctor Doom. Maybe the Jim Lee versions from the 90s even.

I think that's why they keep changing. You can't mess around with Spidey, Cap or Dr. Doom all that much. Changes to those costumes never last all that long.

The Jim Lee costumes are actually closer to what the characters were wearing prior to the current updates.

6056490121_6562ab3692_b.jpg

I prefer the newer costume.

14994034995_2a282a22a7_b.jpg

OG Runner

I think that's why they keep changing. You can't mess around with Spidey, Cap or Dr. Doom all that much. Changes to those costumes never last all that long.

The Jim Lee costumes are actually closer to what the characters were wearing prior to the current updates.

6056490121_6562ab3692_b.jpg

I prefer the newer costume.

14994034995_2a282a22a7_b.jpg
You are right it is better than the way they had it, but this guy reminds me of a guy I saw in the park one day. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom