Do they need to bring Video Games back into Epcot?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
The most time I have ever spent in Innoventions was at the Sega Arcade, between that and Image Works I couldn't get enough of it. I think a good gaming experience at Epcot could have kept Epcot in and Disney out. I also think the new Super Smash instrumental would be a great addition to the entrance music lol.

Cmdr_Crimson

The most time I have ever spent in Innoventions was at the Sega Arcade, between that and Image Works I couldn't get enough of it. I think a good gaming experience at Epcot could have kept Epcot in and Disney out. I also think the new Super Smash instrumental would be a great addition to the entrance music lol.
Shame this never happend..
56974bc39e9b14d94d580b673be578db--disney-attractions-epcot.jpg

REG Glenn

Yes, yes, and yes. Disney, stop getting rid of attractions just to leave it vacant. I would never play video games at Epcot, but my boys would. Not everything needs to be an E ticket attraction. The more attractions the park has, the more the crowd disperses at other attractions. Body Wars made me sick, but Cranium Command was cool. So why close this huge space and leave it vacant (until Food and Wine). Yes, video games are not my fav, but Innoventions sits largely vacant. Why not bring them back.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Yes, yes, and yes. Disney, stop getting rid of attractions just to leave it vacant. I would never play video games at Epcot, but my boys would. Not everything needs to be an E ticket attraction. The more attractions the park has, the more the crowd disperses at other attractions. Body Wars made me sick, but Cranium Command was cool. So why close this huge space and leave it vacant (until Food and Wine). Yes, video games are not my fav, but Innoventions sits largely vacant. Why not bring them back.
When I was a kid the only character on my mind going to Epcot was Sonic lol

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

Playing a video game and watching someone else play a game are hardly comparable experiences lol One is fun, the other is pointless.

Agreed, and yet there’s an entire industry built on people streaming their game plays. I don’t get it either- I might want to see how to find some hidden item in a game, but not just sit there watching someone the whole time.

Something like the Void would kill at Epcot, for now I’m happy to have it be a rare overlooked activity at WDW.

Probably something that might work would be a game displayed on big screens where the players use their mobile devices to do something simple like make a blaster fire, or a mini version of the car building game in TT where your car races others in a sim. Spitballing here

Goofyernmost

Why would anyone pay that much money to go someplace to play video games when they can play them at home on a huge screen all day long if they want too. That is why DisneyQuest died and why they no longer have them at the parks. Lack of general interest. Same reason why you can no longer buy a recently manufactured Model T Ford.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yes, and they need to bring them back to Magic Kingdom as well!

Why would anyone pay that much money to go someplace to play video games when they can play them at home on a huge screen all day long if they want too. That is why DisneyQuest died and why they no longer have them at the parks. Lack of general interest. Same reason why you can no longer buy a recently manufactured Model T Ford.

Disney Quest died because Disney stopped maintaining it. It was once a great place to escape rainy days.

thomas998

Disneyquest had a Ton of VR experiences and they closed it way to early to at least upgrade Ride the comix, Flying carpets, and the other ineractive games...
The problem with Disneyquest was that their VR games were downright painful to use and required a lot of manpower for a very low visitor turn. If I remember the Magic Carpets correctly it was maybe 10 or 12 machines total, the game lasted maybe 3 to 5 minutes but it took almost as long to get everyone ready as the game lasted. But assume the best of 3 minutes and 12 visitors... that's 6 minutes per sessions to hook up and complete the experience... so 10 sets of experiences per hour and even at 12 people each time you're only pumping through 120 people per hour and you have to have at least 1 CM overseeing the whole thing, although I think the last time we did it they had 2 CMs working it. That is a very low number of guests per hour and you've waste 2 CMs to accomplish it. Not a good deal for Disney.

The only other VR games they had that I recall were the rapids ride which was initially cool but as soon as Xbox came out with pretty much the same thing with their home game system it became pointless... And the pirates experience which was probably the only original Disneyquest ride that was still worth doing by the time they closed it all down. You might also add in the simulated roller coaster that you designed and then road....It was cool too.... But the problem with all of those is that they were very low volume attractions yet still required a substantial amount of manpower to operate.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The problem with Disneyquest was that their VR games were downright painful to use and required a lot of manpower for a very low visitor turn. If I remember the Magic Carpets correctly it was maybe 10 or 12 machines total, the game lasted maybe 3 to 5 minutes but it took almost as long to get everyone ready as the game lasted. But assume the best of 3 minutes and 12 visitors... that's 6 minutes per sessions to hook up and complete the experience... so 10 sets of experiences per hour and even at 12 people each time you're only pumping through 120 people per hour and you have to have at least 1 CM overseeing the whole thing, although I think the last time we did it they had 2 CMs working it. That is a very low number of guests per hour and you've waste 2 CMs to accomplish it. Not a good deal for Disney.

The only other VR games they had that I recall were the rapids ride which was initially cool but as soon as Xbox came out with pretty much the same thing with their home game system it became pointless... And the pirates experience which was probably the only original Disneyquest ride that was still worth doing by the time they closed it all down. You might also add in the simulated roller coaster that you designed and then road....It was cool too.... But the problem with all of those is that they were very low volume attractions yet still required a substantial amount of manpower to operate.

They could (should) have corrected all of these problems, or replaced / modernized the experiences. Unfortunately they treated Quest with the same lack of maintenance and care as they did the parks from 2005-2012.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
They could totally have a classic arcade and tie it into the Wreck It Ralph series. Would love that and lots of people are now into classic gaming.

Yep! They probably still have the Wreck It Ralph cabinets that they used to have at Disney Quest. Since they were designed by Disney for the series, I doubt they would have auctioned those assets.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'd be alright with it, as long as they did it on a Disney scale...

20 x 40 foot screen, ultra 4D resolution, 16-channel sound, and a player's harness that gives rumbles and shocks when hit...

flynnibus

Premium Member

They kept doing it at the dead shell that was Innovations in DL... and it sucked there too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom