Do they keep a few room unbooked?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I was curious if a few DVC rooms were always held back in case of a major repair being needed in a room. If not have there ever been times a person had to be moved to another resort or a hotel? Just curious because either they have amazing fast repair crews or sometimes people get stuck with rooms that are below grade

DisneyJoe

I was curious if a few DVC rooms were always held back in case of a major repair being needed in a room. If not have there ever been times a person had to be moved to another resort or a hotel? Just curious because either they have amazing fast repair crews or sometimes people get stuck with rooms that are below grade
Guests are occasionally moved to another resort when one is overbooked or has an issue as you described.

correcaminos

Usually if one is moved there is an issue with the room. They will move if there is an issue. Being the way DVC is done, overbooking is not something that happens without something bigger.

That said there are 2-3% always held for CRO inventory.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They don’t intentionally hold DVC rooms back unless it’s for scheduled maintenance. There are open rooms from time to time for a night or 2 due to logistics since everyone checks in and out at different times. If there’s a major problem they can/will change you to another room but if it’s a minor issue they usually try to fix it first. I’ve heard of people having an appliance like a kitchen fridge swapped out mid stay instead of being relocated.

I don’t think you would get a room below the level you paid for. If that did happen they would most likely give you either a refund of some points or some sort of monetary compensation. Disney is usually pretty quick to make people whole if they are put out.

note2001

I don’t think you would get a room below the level you paid for. If that did happen they would most likely give you either a refund of some points or some sort of monetary compensation. Disney is usually pretty quick to make people whole if they are put out.
Not always true. Before I became DVC I stayed in a cabin with a good discount. Hurricane Charlie forced us to be moved to POR to a much smaller, inadequate room for our needs. I was charged full rack rate for the pleasure of packing a family of 5 into a tiny room and had to cough up more money.

Tony the Tigger

Not always true. Before I became DVC I stayed in a cabin with a good discount. Hurricane Charlie forced us to be moved to POR to a much smaller, inadequate room for our needs. I was charged full rack rate for the pleasure of packing a family of 5 into a tiny room and had to cough up more money.

That’s surprising. We were there during Irma, scheduled to leave on Saturday. They offered us 40% off rack rates if we wanted to stay.

Since we had booked at 30% off and were at GF concierge, it wasn’t much of a discount off what we already paid (which was already a big anniversary splurge) so we declined and moved off site. But it was not rack rate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DVC and cash rooms work different. I’m sure there are times when someone gets moved from a cash room to another room or in extreme cases another resort. Happens at most hotels in popular places. They will even overbook at times banking on cancelations and the last person to arrive gets shipped offsite. It’s happened to me a few times when traveling for work although always to a same size or larger room. With Disney it’s probably a lot worse since you might make dining and ride plans around where you are staying.

In your example you probably should have elevated the issue to a higher level of customer service. Disney is notorious for bending over backwards to compensate people. I actually know someone who got Disney to buy them new sneakers for their whole family. They were staying at the boardwalk and visiting DHS when an afternoon storm rolled in. They jumped on the Friendship boat for the ride back but as they approached Swan/Dolphin the thunder and lightening started and the boat was grounded there. They asked how they were supposed to get back to BW and the CM told them they could wait out the storm there or walk. They chose to walk, but because of the heavy rain the path was flooded so as they walked back their shoes got soaked. After drying off in the lobby they spoke to several customer service reps to complain about the boat shutting down and not having busses and also getting wet walking back. First offer was a partial comp of their room rate. That wasn’t enough though because now they had to wear wet shoes the rest of the trip. After complaining some more about wet sneakers Disney agreed to pay for new shoes for the whole family as well.

I’m not advocating that kind of begging for handouts, but in your case where you were downgraded on room type and also asked to pay more it seems like a perfectly reasonable ask to not only not pay more but maybe get a partial comp of what you were paying. I had heard stories that they were pretty generous with guests impacted by the hurricanes too. Guess not everyone.

Phonedave

DVC and cash rooms work different. I’m sure there are times when someone gets moved from a cash room to another room or in extreme cases another resort. Happens at most hotels in popular places. They will even overbook at times banking on cancelations and the last person to arrive gets shipped offsite. It’s happened to me a few times when traveling for work although always to a same size or larger room. With Disney it’s probably a lot worse since you might make dining and ride plans around where you are staying.

In your example you probably should have elevated the issue to a higher level of customer service. Disney is notorious for bending over backwards to compensate people. I actually know someone who got Disney to buy them new sneakers for their whole family. They were staying at the boardwalk and visiting DHS when an afternoon storm rolled in. They jumped on the Friendship boat for the ride back but as they approached Swan/Dolphin the thunder and lightening started and the boat was grounded there. They asked how they were supposed to get back to BW and the CM told them they could wait out the storm there or walk. They chose to walk, but because of the heavy rain the path was flooded so as they walked back their shoes got soaked. After drying off in the lobby they spoke to several customer service reps to complain about the boat shutting down and not having busses and also getting wet walking back. First offer was a partial comp of their room rate. That wasn’t enough though because now they had to wear wet shoes the rest of the trip. After complaining some more about wet sneakers Disney agreed to pay for new shoes for the whole family as well.

I’m not advocating that kind of begging for handouts, but in your case where you were downgraded on room type and also asked to pay more it seems like a perfectly reasonable ask to not only not pay more but maybe get a partial comp of what you were paying. I had heard stories that they were pretty generous with guests impacted by the hurricanes too. Guess not everyone.

Wow, DVC units have dryers. Stick your sneakers in the dryer. Or if they are in a studio, use a dryer in an unused room.

Maybe comp them room service (because you know, they were going to go out to dinner, but now their shoes are wet and of course they only brought one pair)

correcaminos

That wasn't good enough? Ugh, that sounds a bit... well entitled to me. Sorry, but yes in general Disney does try to bend over backwards

And as you said DVC and cash are not the same.

nickys

Premium Member
Wow, DVC units have dryers. Stick your sneakers in the dryer. Or if they are in a studio, use a dryer in an unused room.

Maybe comp them room service (because you know, they were going to go out to dinner, but now their shoes are wet and of course they only brought one pair)

He didn’t say if they were staying in the villas or the inn side though. But I do like your idea! “Here’s some newspaper to stuff inside your wet shoes”. :D

That wasn't good enough? Ugh, that sounds a bit... well entitled to me. Sorry, but yes in general Disney does try to bend over backwards

I totally agree with this. Definitely an entitled attitude. Rain happens anywhere, get over it!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

And as you said DVC and cash are not the same.
They were staying in the hotel not DVC but still...use the dryer in the hotel. Entitled is a nice way to put it. I had a hard time listening to the story and if it was anyone else telling me the story I may not have believed it.

We went to Hershey Park for 2 days last summer and stayed over at the Hershey Lodge. The first day we were there it was heavy rain most of the morning and a steady drizzle the rest of the day. We went to the park anyway and just got soaked. After a while you can’t get any more wet and you just get used to it. The good news is the lines were non existent and when it slowed to a drizzle in the afternoon they even opened all of the coasters. It was honestly one of the most fun days we have ever had as a family even though we were a gross mess by the end of the day. Obviously our shoes got soaked and we had a studio room for the 4 of us so it stunk the place up. It was so bad my oldest son couldn’t sleep because of the smell so we had to put all our shoes in the bathroom with the door closed overnight. I would have put them out in the hall but was afraid they would be mistaken for trash and thrown away :). The next day we all wore those same sneakers back to the park again...still damp and stinky.

correcaminos

They were staying in the hotel not DVC but still...use the dryer in the hotel. Entitled is a nice way to put it. I had a hard time listening to the story and if it was anyone else telling me the story I may not have believed it.

We went to Hershey Park for 2 days last summer and stayed over at the Hershey Lodge. The first day we were there it was heavy rain most of the morning and a steady drizzle the rest of the day. We went to the park anyway and just got soaked. After a while you can’t get any more wet and you just get used to it. The good news is the lines were non existent and when it slowed to a drizzle in the afternoon they even opened all of the coasters. It was honestly one of the most fun days we have ever had as a family even though we were a gross mess by the end of the day. Obviously our shoes got soaked and we had a studio room for the 4 of us so it stunk the place up. It was so bad my oldest son couldn’t sleep because of the smell so we had to put all our shoes in the bathroom with the door closed overnight. I would have put them out in the hall but was afraid they would be mistaken for trash and thrown away :). The next day we all wore those same sneakers back to the park again...still damp and stinky.
Old runner's trick. Stuff then with newspaper and they'll dry quickly

Phonedave

He didn’t say if they were staying in the villas or the inn side though. But I do like your idea! “Here’s some newspaper to stuff inside your wet shoes”. :D

I totally agree with this. Definitely an entitled attitude. Rain happens anywhere, get over it!

My comment about the dryers was more along the lines of there are loads of dryers in and around BW. Somebody from guest service could have dried the shoes for the people, if they themselves did not have access to a dryer. Or, yeah, newspapers work too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom