Do point values change often?

MaryMcMagic

Original Poster
I've searched for the answer but came up empty. Here's my question. In the time that you have been a DVC member, how have the point values- per night, per week- changed? Normally, room rates go up every year, do point values change as well? This is my husband's concern. Right now we can visit yearly with a minimal buy in of about 200 pts, but down the line 10 years will we need 400 points to get the same vacation? I hope someone who is a veteran member can answer this question. Thanks in advance!

optjay

Hi,
I've been a member since 1999, and when we bought our time share the studio point cost at Boarwalk was 9 points a night. It is now 9 points and 11 in the dream season. not much of a change.
How ever, the family was added to... More points.. different room needs.
Well worth the investment if you travel to the world often!

DisneyPhD

I think there has only been one adjustment in the 15 years or so of DVC history and none since we joined in 2002. The rule is they can adjust the points but the total required for the year must remain the same. So if they increase the points required for one time of year then they have to decrease them somewhere else.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know the points per room per year explanation is difficult, but I think DisneyPhD nailed it. The points for a room over a year cannot change, but the point values for certain days can, but there must be a corresponding decrease for every increase, and vice versa. Kind of like double-entry accounting - the debits and credits must match in the end. :)

Phonedave

I know the points per room per year explanation is difficult, but I think DisneyPhD nailed it. The points for a room over a year cannot change, but the point values for certain days can, but there must be a corresponding decrease for every increase, and vice versa. Kind of like double-entry accounting - the debits and credits must match in the end. :)

Think of it this way - there are a set number of total points at a resort. Lets say for arguments sake 10,000

The total "cost" of all the rooms at that resort over the year must total 10,000 points. Add up the number of days in the year, the point values per day, the differences in seasons, and the difference for room sizes and it has to be 10,000. That is also why properties "close" for sales. DVC has sold all the points that are available. You are buying into a share of a physical property. Physical things eventualy run out, as opposed to "virtuial" shares.

DVC will change the points per room in order to try an banlance usage if necessary. For example if they find a load of people booking studios and not so many in the 1BR, they may kick the studio rate up a point and the 1BR down a notch.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom