1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

DLP denies small boy access to "Princess for a day" experience

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by ogryn, Aug 30, 2017.

1. ogryn

ogryn Well-Known Member

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-08-30/...ncess-for-a-day-experience-because-hes-a-boy/

They should rightly get flack over that. At that age boys things and girls things shouldn't even come into it.

DisneyExpert and KentB3 like this.
  2. Stitch_Fan_NJ

Stitch_Fan_NJ Well-Known Member

Oh boy I'm getting my popcorn ready for this thread ;) lol

My two cents... I'm in DLP's corner on this one. And let the flaming begin GO!

3. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Situational swearer Premium Member

I would like to know a few more things before getting out the flamethrower,
    Can you do Princess for a day as a boy at any of the other parks ?
    Don't they do a pirate makeup thingy for the boys and maybe this was what was unavailable ?

4. orlando678-

orlando678- Well-Known Member

I think its just plain stupid that the gender stereotypes have to play a role in what a child wants. If a child feels like dressing up as a princess then who is disney to tell them they are not allowed to do so. If boys dont feel anything for the pirates make up thing, there arent a lot of other options and what about trans or intersex children..oh well. Guess thats just me

5. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

DLP does not offer any Pirate makeover experience.

Also, they do not discourage male customers from attending the Auberge de Cendrillon character meal.

6. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Situational swearer Premium Member

Had to google that meal :oops: However i think that is a different kettle of fish entirely. Meeting a princess as opposed to being a princess.
    I wasn't making any judgement just asking a couple questions.

7. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

I know at WDW's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique they make the boys look like knights, I'm not sure if they have any offical policy at WDW for boy's wanting to be done up as a princess.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    ItlngrlBella and Mr Ferret 88 like this.
  8. cjkeating

cjkeating Well-Known Member

If anyone hasn't clicked through and read the article, there is an official response from DLP saying that boys are welcome to take part in The Princess For a Day experience and it was a cast member who gave them the wrong answer.

9. ogryn

ogryn Well-Known Member Original Poster

That was added afterwards. There was no response at posting time :)

Glad they nipped it in the bud

cjkeating and Derrit like this.
  10. egg

egg Well-Known Member

Even as simply the Cast Member's fault, that's terrible. This follows the lady getting her whole face severely burned and the manager saying something like "it's no different than falling off a bike." And of course, people say the CMs in general aren't as positive in Paris. Disney ought to do a serious evaluation of what's going on there.

Well it's now been revealed to be the CM's fault and not DLP's policy. But ignoring that.. can you explain why?

DisneyExpert and Derrit like this.
  11. Andrew Appleby

Andrew Appleby Member

It's all very strange. I was there just over a week ago and whilst stood in the queue for Ratatouille (not impressed BTW but thats for another thread) a young lad fully dressed as Merida joined the back with his parents. No one even batted an eyelid so I wouldnt think it would be anything to do with the park.

Just on the CMs in gereneral, in Paris you get a complete mix. There are some who have sour faces and simply answer questions with one word answers and are quite short with customers but there are a few who clearly love the job (we had a chap who did the intro for Star Tours that got a round of applause he was so into character). The american style and CMs are one of the main draws of WDW for us as a family.

KentB3 and Sir_Cliff like this.
  12. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

Why though?

It's sad. When I was a child, I was the same (but for the record, I prefer my men masculine these days...)

To be informed it's against the status quo by adults is what brings about any kind of shame/difficult experience. No need to worry about others when you've been encouraged to act more freely as yourself. In turn, hurtful experiences such as this would be a piece of cake.

DisneyExpert and Derrit like this.
  13. Stitch_Fan_NJ

Ok ok now that I have all the information in front of me and now know this was a cast memeber acting alone and against DLP protocol I can see how the mom would have a big problem with what happened.

14. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

What would you consider the broader picture? The topic doesn't warrant a controversial comment.

sunsetblvd26 likes this.
  15. Stitch_Fan_NJ

No need for me to comment further as long as DLP fixed the problem and the family was given proper compensation of some sort it's ok in my book.

16. WildernessLodge

WildernessLodge Well-Known Member

Agreed and especially in 2017 when gender fluidity has been highlighted and celebrated so prominently. I'm very surprised that Disney would respond like that. VERY surprised. I bet that kid was heartbroken and that's the opposite of what they usually strive to do.

S.P.E.W and orlando678- like this.
  17. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

The CM gave the Mother the wrong info. DLP says it's OK.

KentB3 and WildernessLodge like this.
  18. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

It's all easy answers until the forty year old dude in Merida wig hides in the bathroom where your six year old daughter goes.

englanddg and IMDREW like this.
  19. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

It is illogical to disallow a child to follow their own path (in particular, a boy simply playing dress up) in fear that one day he will commit a crime as an adult in the women's restroom.

It is a shame that whoever assumes the role of man has to go out of their way to be dry and cautious when dealing with children to appease public concern. At times necessary and certainly respectful, but a shame nonetheless.

I was a four year old boy and when father wasn't present, I most certainly entered the women's restroom with my mother to avoid the anxiety and confusion of being unattended. I do not believe that I posed a threat or was corrupted by the vicious women in any way.

I am not going to assume a FTM transgendered person poses a threat in the men's restroom and having been exposed to a fair share of lovely drag queens, I am not going to assume MTF transgendered people pose a threat in the women's restroom. Why oh why does everyone assume hairy, bearded, beer belly creeps are those who are MTF trans people? No one in their right mind would 'fake' it and if so, would not go unnoticed. If you are lucky enough to expose yourself to that world, you know who's a well-adjusted trans person and who is not.

When has a women's restroom ever been completely empty without a line? Again, as a child who was shy and didn't feel comfortable leaving a parents side at a young age, I dont see why you would encourage your child to enter a restroom by themselves until a certain age anyway, if fear is that high. And again, I just don't see the likelihood of a transgendered male or fake making off or inappropriately interacting with your child while being completely unnoticed.

If the vocal opponents had it their way, I doubt they would want said person in their own 'correct' restroom anyway. It's definitely a broader issue than just bathrooms. Props to the men and women (yes, women... And yes,. men) who recognize this.

Regardless, we're talking about a boy who could turn out to be just gay. One who uses the men's restroom. Or a man who does drag on the weekends. Who also uses the men's restroom.

20. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

Thank you for the long post!

Here is a dilemma: what if a bearded forty year old man shows up at Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique, asking to be treated like a six year old girl? Indulge his self-identification? Pose for the group portrait with the other girls? Allow him in the women's swimming pool dressing room?

wdrive likes this.