DL for a WDW fan

Gelatoni

Original Poster
We goto WDW every year but we are considering going to DL instead of WDW in Feb 2019. I have a few questions. Can DL fill a week? Hows the weather in Feb and are the hotels with the extra cost (we are used to value/moderate rates at WDW). Thanks

drizgirl

The longest non AP ticket you can buy is 5 days. We enjoy having all 5 days in DL, but everyone is different.

Hours tend to be shorter in February and lots of refurbishments.

If you ever want to visit DL though, I think Feb 2019 is a good plan. Once Star Wars Land opens, the place will be overrun.

Weather is pretty unpredictable. I have a friend visit in early February this year. It was mid-80's. She was there on a Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday was very light crowds, Thursday was pretty busy.

Last edited:

Schneewittchen

My family did DL last month - February 2018 - for a long weekend. The weather was perfect, cool crisp mornings, sunny and low 70s for a high, but very dry. We only stayed 2 days, 3 would be better. No need for MaxPass, we just use the old school paper fastpasses.

And like some of the other posters, I would recommend doing other SoCal stuff too.

And I'll speak evil too. I've never stayed at a DLR hotel, we always stay off property. There are so many perfectly good hotels/motels within walking distance. I've stayed at both Candy Cane Inn and The Anaheim Hotel, either is fine.

Rich T

Do a day at Knott's and--if you're a coaster fan--a day at Magic Mountain. Skip Universal, as it's sooooo much tinier than Florida's.

The key to enjoying DLR is getting up early and being one of the very first people into the park. You can get a ton of attractions in by noon and then just relax and do what you want. Dedicate one early morning start to DL's Fantasyland, one to Space Mountain and one to Cars Land. Good times ahead! :)

TwilightZone

I usually do two days at disney (one day at disneyland, one at dca) and sometimes a third day at a separate park (usually universal, though there is also six flags magic mountain, six flags discovery kingdom, knotts, and great america as well, your choice!)

Kiwiduck

We goto WDW every year but we are considering going to DL instead of WDW in Feb 2019. I have a few questions. Can DL fill a week? Hows the weather in Feb and are the hotels with the extra cost (we are used to value/moderate rates at WDW). Thanks
My longest trip was 8 days with one day off for shopping. I filled my days easily but I tend to take things at a pretty easy pace. The motels across the road on Harbor are less fun than the moderate resorts but usually similar in price or cheaper, and the great location makes up (a little) for the lack of theming.

Rich T

I usually do two days at disney (one day at disneyland, one at dca) and sometimes a third day at a separate park (usually universal, though there is also six flags magic mountain, six flags discovery kingdom, knotts, and great america as well, your choice!)
Just a note of location: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Great America are in the San Francisco area eight hours away by car, and--while decent enough parks--aren't worth going out of your way for. A better, closer bet would be the San Diego Zoo or Lego Land. But heck, if you do go way North, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is better than either Discovery Kingdom or CA's Great America (and you get a day at the beach, too!)

Professortango1

Do a day at Knott's and--if you're a coaster fan--a day at Magic Mountain. Skip Universal, as it's sooooo much tinier than Florida's.

But Hollywood does have the Studio Tour and better Springfield. USH is pretty much an even trade with USO by itself. Islands of Adventure is clearly the best of the three parks.

Rich T

Disneyland is nice for a little weekend getaway, find something to else to do for the rest of the week
That depends. If you really love rides, Imagineering and Disney park history, you need at least three full days to soak in all the unique details of Disneyland. Even though it's got a smaller footprint, there's a lot more to see there than at Magic Kingdom in Florida.

mlayton144

That depends. If you really love rides, Imagineering and Disney park history, you need at least three full days to soak in all the unique details of Disneyland. Even though it's got a smaller footprint, there's a lot more to see there than at Magic Kingdom in Florida.

OK, a nice extended weekend 👍

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
A week is definitely a bit much, unless you want to spend some time at Knott's and Universal (is that blasphemy?).

I find that 3 to 5 days is more than enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom