disturb signs ?

matt9112

Original Poster
the other site is running an article about the removal of DND room signs in favor of "room occupied" signs at the three monorail resorts ? and that a CM will enter your room once a day.

is this posted anywhere here? forgive me if it is.

TeriofTerror

I received a notice from DVC that trash pickup would soon occur daily, and speculation is strong that these two changes are connected. It appears that they are tied to the shootings in Las Vegas.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This will put a damper on my meth lab im running out of the Presidential Suite at Grand Floridian.
XS5LK.gif

TrojanUSC

Lots of Vegas hotels have made this change in light of the shooting - the shooter there had a DND sign up and nobody entered his room for three days. The thought being had someone checked they would have seen something suspicious. Obviously Disney is following suit.

TrojanUSC

I know this thought is morbid but I am now curious. Could what happened in Vegas potentially happen at the Magic Kingdom? Like do any hotel rooms offer views that could make something like that possible? God forbid we should have another tragedy.

You can see parts of the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary but thankfully most of the guests are blocked by the buildings and trees.

Surfin' Tuna

There are times when I really don't want to be disturbed. There are also times when those poor people would not want to enter the room and see me; you can't just erase some images from your mind. I guess this is supposed to make people feel better and remove some potential liability, but I'm not sure the housekeeping staff should be our front line security personnel.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
There are times when I really don't want to be disturbed. There are also times when those poor people would not want to enter the room and see me; you can't just erase some images from your mind. I guess this is supposed to make people feel better and remove some potential liability, but I'm not sure the housekeeping staff should be our front line security personnel.

Any person can be the first to report something. That is the whole idea. The more people that can see, the more that will say something. Disney will not just walk in on you, but they will knock after a period of time with your DND up. When I ran a hotel if there was a DND on a door for over 2 days myself or my assistant manager would stop by to make sure all was good with the guest. It is just good policy. And yes we found things we didn't want going on at our hotel. I did happen but we stopped it pretty quick.

draybook

I know this thought is morbid but I am now curious. Could what happened in Vegas potentially happen at the Magic Kingdom? Like do any hotel rooms offer views that could make something like that possible? God forbid we should have another tragedy.

Or people could realize that this is yet another knee jerk reaction to something. The effort made to bring such an arsenal to ANY view giving that kind of damage zone would be high. Any simpleton could even figure out it'd be much easier to inflict maximum damage in ANY of the open areas on property.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
For those times you really don't want to be disturbed...
41mmHO01TqL._SX450_.jpg

Click Here For More Details

trainplane3

Any person can be the first to report something. That is the whole idea. The more people that can see, the more that will say something. Disney will not just walk in on you, but they will knock after a period of time with your DND up. When I ran a hotel if there was a DND on a door for over 2 days myself or my assistant manager would stop by to make sure all was good with the guest. It is just good policy. And yes we found things we didn't want going on at our hotel. I did happen but we stopped it pretty quick.
I can confirm Disney does knock before entering rooms regardless.

I was sleeping in once (10am) and was woken up by room service knocking. I was mentally dead so I didn't answer. The lady came in, saw me sit up in bed and ran out of the room saying "sorry sir sorry sir sorry sir" with an adorable Spanish accent. I wasn't mad or anything, I actually said "it's fine" as she scurried out but that was it. They came back later when I left the room.

Last edited:

AEfx

Meanwhile... thousands of of guests and cast members enter the parks every day without being screened by metal detectors...

Security Theater at its finest.

Eh, I'm the first to call "security theater", but in this case, it's a really smart idea and housekeeping is actually the best possible people to be doing it. The only thing that would be more effective would be some prison-type daily inspection by security personnel, which would not only be unreasonably invasive but also a ridiculous proposition with some 31,000 rooms to deal with daily.

It's also very smart legally - which was likely a huge impetus to this being done. The hotel involved in Vegas is being sued, of course, and while it may not come to anything, doing a program like this is a really good defense should something terrible happen, as it would be very tough to argue that Disney wasn't doing due diligence.

Housekeepers are really ideal to do this, and I'm sure they have been or will be given some basic training in what to look for, if they haven't all always been to begin with. Not that they likely even needed much - I mean, no amount of training is going to make someone a better expert in what is "normal" in a WDW hotel room than having years of experience cleaning them every day. Even things like how the bathroom (toiletries, etc.) appear are going to indicate things. They possibly will even have a swab kit or something similar if something appears suspicious (it's kind of difficult to completely hide the chemical traces of many things that can be dangerous).

While of course folks could hide things, even in within the limits of a hotel room, it will make it more difficult for someone to do anything as large scale as Vegas.

Slowjack

Eh, I'm the first to call "security theater", but in this case, it's a really smart idea and housekeeping is actually the best possible people to be doing it. The only thing that would be more effective would be some prison-type daily inspection by security personnel, which would not only be unreasonably invasive but also a ridiculous proposition with some 31,000 rooms to deal with daily.

It's also very smart legally - which was likely a huge impetus to this being done. The hotel involved in Vegas is being sued, of course, and while it may not come to anything, doing a program like this is a really good defense should something terrible happen, as it would be very tough to argue that Disney wasn't doing due diligence.

Housekeepers are really ideal to do this, and I'm sure they have been or will be given some basic training in what to look for, if they haven't all always been to begin with. Not that they likely even needed much - I mean, no amount of training is going to make someone a better expert in what is "normal" in a WDW hotel room than having years of experience cleaning them every day. Even things like how the bathroom (toiletries, etc.) appear are going to indicate things. They possibly will even have a swab kit or something similar if something appears suspicious (it's kind of difficult to completely hide the chemical traces of many things that can be dangerous).

While of course folks could hide things, even in within the limits of a hotel room, it will make it more difficult for someone to do anything as large scale as Vegas.
I disagree with all of this. I think A) the notion that housekeeping could be trained to notice such things is nuts. B) Swab kit? The housekeepers would have, and use, swab kits? That's just absurd. C) Any would-be villain could avoid being detected by housekeeping simply by performing the evil act on the day/night of check-in. D) Doing any of this would almost certainly not lower Disney's liability in the least. Heck, I think a clever lawyer would argue that having housekeeping performing security checks would indicate that Disney acknowledged a security problem but didn't take it seriously enough.

I have no idea if this change is actually connected to security or not. Certainly, it's a good idea to have someone from a hotel inside each room once a day, just to ensure that the room is in good shape, the people inside are still alive, and so on. But if this move is in any way intended to combat potential terrorist acts, it's a joke.

DisneyCane

No, it won't. If you are a psychotic murderer and you know they will check daily, you could just wait for the check then bring your arsenal up. Besides, the guy in Vegas didn't need all those weapons to do what he did.

It is impossible to stop somebody from doing something if they are willing to die committing a horrible act.

Everybody just needs to be thankful that mass murderers (terrorist or otherwise) are an infinitesimal percentage of the world population.

Better security would be to scan bags being brought to the elevators that lead to rooms.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

If the mouse keepers cant find dirt or broken appliances howinthehell are they supposed to find drugs or other contraband.

A bounty system perhaps $100 for a joint or a $1000 for a gun Mousekeepers will be planting evidence to earn bounties.

This has the potential to go badly wrong on many levels. If its a security issue use professionals doing random sweeps.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can confirm Disney does knock before entering rooms regardless.

I was sleeping in once (10am) and was woken up by room service knocking. I was mentally dead so I didn't answer. The lady came in, saw me sit up in bed and ran out of the room saying "sorry sir sorry sir sorry sir" with an adorable Spanish accent. I wasn't mad or anything, I actually said "it's fine" as she scurried out but that was it. They came back later when I left the room.

Yeah they knock and barge right in thats why the security bar was always engaged when we were in room, I dont like unannounced visitors in my villa

AEfx

LOL.

Okay guys, stop hyper-ventilating.

This is a very smart move on Disney's part, if you understand both the logistics and the bigger picture. It's a cog in the wheel and a good front-line to have by working with the people who already see these rooms every day. Ask any law enforcement officer worth their salt where the lions share of tips and information comes from, if you want to begin to understand. This isn't about being a singular solution to an unsolvable issue, it's an additional layer of information that very well could prove valuable in mitigating what they can.

In any case, happy holidays. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom