Distinction between "theme park enthusiast" and "Disney Adult"

TrainsOfDisney

Equity actors are paid well above minimum wage. The risk is once the show closes they are out of a job.
I mean…. Isn’t that the case for any employee at any job?

Plus all kinds of animatronics, staff and more than one show. I don't know how much the actors were paid but I doubt it was minimum wage.

Equity actors and union musicians as well as the techs who work the show are all paid well above minimum wage. But that’s true all over the property.

Ayla

As grown Disney fans, we're the last people entitled to make fun of adults for supposedly not being adult enough.

Live and let live.
There is a difference between being a Disney fan and letting your life be consumed with Disney.

I am a Disney fan.

Those who spend their entire income (and then some) on Disney merchandise, movies, toys, vacations only to Disney properties, cry at movie trailers ( :rolleyes: ), make their living by giving Disney free advertising (bloggers, vloggers, etc): those are people consumed with Disney and are emotionally stunted. There has been an explosion of these type of people with the advent of social media.

LittleBuford

There is a difference between being a Disney fan and letting your life be consumed with Disney.

I am a Disney fan.

Those who spend their entire income (and then some) on Disney merchandise, movies, toys, vacations only to Disney properties, cry at movie trailers ( :rolleyes: ), make their living by giving Disney free advertising (bloggers, vloggers, etc): those are people consumed with Disney and are emotionally stunted. There has been an explosion of these type of people with the advent of social media.
What constitutes a "reasonable" level of fandom is subjective. Some might consider the fact that you and I spend time on a Disney forum unhealthy.

As I said, live and let live. What people choose to do with their time and money is none of my concern, so long as they aren't harming others.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

The beauty of Mr Toad, Snow White, and the DL dark rides is the intamicy of the scenes. Small rooms, trap doors, tons of scenery, and tight spaces. They are still fantastic.

WDW trackless rides aren’t intimate. Warehouse style. Make the ride trackless but keep the rooms tight, narrow, and madcap.
Not to mention that Disney is currently treating Show Space like a liability rather than an asset - space that *has* to be filled instead of space that *gets* to be filled. Which results in attractions like Runaway Railway where so many of the scenes seem to say "We did enough, right?" as opposed to rides like Pirates whose scenes offer you more than can be properly percieved in a lifetime of riding.

TrainsOfDisney

Which results in attractions like Runaway Railway where so many of the scenes seem to say "We did enough, right?" as opposed to rides like Pirates whose scenes offer you more than can be properly percieved in a lifetime of riding.
I genuinely agree but I think runaway isn’t a good example. There are lots of details that can’t be seen in 1 ride.

yensidtlaw1969

I genuinely agree but I think runaway isn’t a good example. There are lots of details that can’t be seen in 1 ride.
Maybe I should have been clearer - the difference I was pointing out was that Runaway Railway is full of wide-open scenes where much of the visual interest comes from projected elements instead of actually filling the physical space, vs something like Pirates which creates dense tangible environments that are so rich and elaborate you can ride for years and years and still discover new things built in that physical space.

Last edited:

LeighM

I don't really care how a fellow adult reacts to a movie trailer, or how they spend their money, or how "consumed" they are by something. As long as they are responsible adults, paying their way, and supporting their family, and not hurting anybody, I don't see why someone else would care. If Disney (or Star Wars) makes someone happy and gives them a temporary escape from whatever stress they're going through in their life, then more power to them. I'm not paying their bills 🤷‍♀️

NelleBelle

Yup, just the other day when my son won his division playoff game for our state basketball championship and he and his teammates where crying with joy at winning after months of hardwork, I told them to man-up, stop their crying...that it showed a weak personality and they'd not be able to cope with real problems. Just what we need...more men with repressed emotions 🙄

LittleBuford

We live in a world where human beings express their emotions in various way to various things. Being triggered to cry due to having an emotional connection to something has nothing to do with age, and shouldn’t be seen as weird. We don’t know what this man’s connection is to Star Wars, but clearly it’s strong. So?
It’s bizarre this even needs to be pointed out to a group of adults who get excited over a cartoon mouse. (No insult intended—I’m one of them!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Walt Disney1955

Yup, just the other day when my son won his division playoff game for our state basketball championship and he and his teammates where crying with joy at winning after months of hardwork, I told them to man-up, stop their crying...that it showed a weak personality and they'd not be able to cope with real problems. Just what we need...more men with repressed emotions 🙄

How old is your son would be my question?

And the idea that men shouldn't have repressed emotions is crazy. There has to be a balance. You can't cry at the drop of a hat if you are a father in front of your kids. I don't know a man that would proudly post a video of him self crying while watching a trailer. That's juvenile, and that is unfortunately some of the men that things are marketed towards.

We live in a world where human beings express their emotions in various way to various things. Being triggered to cry due to having an emotional connection to something has nothing to do with age, and shouldn’t be seen as weird. We don’t know what this man’s connection is to Star Wars, but clearly it’s strong. So?

That dude, that grown man in his 20s who not only balled like a baby when he saw a Star Wars trailer but felt the need to proudly post it on the internet (that is if he wasn't trolling, I am never sure anymore) is what you would call normal? Okay................we're screwed if that is normal.

Californian Elitist

That dude, that grown man in his 20s who not only balled like a baby when he saw a Star Wars trailer but felt the need to proudly post it on the internet (that is if he wasn't trolling, I am never sure anymore) is what you would call normal? Okay................we're screwed if that is normal.
You’re a grown man talking about rides at Disney theme parks and Cinderelly’s Castle on a dedicated forum.

Be a real man and chop some wood.

Walt Disney1955

You’re a grown man talking about rides at Disney theme parks and Cinderelly’s Castle on a dedicated forum.

Be a real man and chop some wood.

Believe me, the job I do is more than enough "man" for anyone.

But be real here, that's not normal. You can like rides and appreciate theme parks and the atmosphere and not act like you've never left your parents basement when a Star Wars trailer comes on. I don't know if you are a male or female, but there is a reason if you show this to 100 women that none of them would want to date the guy. That guy in the video, he's a boy. He isn't a man. Have you ever read the comments on that video? It pretty much sums it up.

LittleBuford

And the idea that men shouldn't have repressed emotions is crazy. There has to be a balance. You can't cry at the drop of a hat if you are a father in front of your kids. I don't know a man that would proudly post a video of him self crying while watching a trailer. That's juvenile, and that is unfortunately some of the men that things are marketed towards.

You are a grown man on a Disney fansite. You spend time and money visiting theme parks populated by singing animals, fake princesses, and employees who wish you a "magical day". Stop throwing stones from your Crystal Palace.

Californian Elitist

But be real here, that's not normal. You can like rides and appreciate theme parks and the atmosphere and not act like you've never left your parents basement when a Star Wars trailer comes on. I don't know if you are a male or female, but there is a reason if you show this to 100 women that none of them would want to date the guy. That guy in the video, he's a boy. He isn't a man. Have you ever read the comments on that video? It pretty much sums it up.
Let’s be real, you are making vast assumptions.

I’m a whole lotta woman and would go for someone like the man in that video before even considering even talking to a “manly man” who thinks society is in shambles because more men are crying. He wouldn’t even get my number.

I’m very much attracted to men who don’t abide by gender norms.

NelleBelle

My son is 16--not sure what that has to do with anything. Have you never watched the Olympics and seen the male athletes sobbing there?? My kids have seen my DH breakdown and cry plenty of times and frankly, I think that's a whole heck of lot healthier for them than never having witnessed a male-figure in their life NOT.

Both my kids have witnessed multiple men in their lives cry--their father, grandfather, uncles, pastors, principles, friends. Not once did anyone ever comment on the masculinity, or lack thereof, when these displays of emotion were witnessed. It teaches children, especially male children, that tears are OK--whether through laughter, sadness, anger, frustration, happiness. These beliefs that male society needs to "man-up" and hide their emotions is ridiculous and outdated. Men feel these emotions every bit as women and by suppressing and hiding it, it just tends to be expressed in other ways, often ways than can be damaging.

LeighM

There's nothing wrong with a man crying if it's for an important life event such as marriage, death, birth of a child, or high pressure event. I think that's what you're trying to get at. There's a difference between a man crying over something of value and not a man child crying over something trivial. At least that's what I get from what you're saying. But I don't want to judge this person I don't know who cried over the SW trailer as I don't know what emotional ties he has to that franchise. I cry over the stupidest things sometimes because it reminds me of my dead mother. I don't understand why he would film himself and post it. But then again, I'm too old now to understand the younger generation who is obsessed with filming themselves on social media and TikTok 🤷‍♀️ And I'm definitely too old to be following those channels anyways LOL.

Walt Disney1955

There's nothing wrong with a man crying if it's for an important life event such as marriage, death, birth of a child, or high pressure event. I think that's what you're trying to get at. There's a difference between a man crying over something of value and not a man child crying over something trivial. At least that's what I get from what you're saying. But I don't want to judge this person I don't know who cried over the SW trailer as I don't know what emotional ties he has to that franchise. I cry over the stupidest things sometimes because it reminds me of my dead mother. I don't understand why he would film himself and post it. But then again, I'm too old now to understand the younger generation who is obsessed with filming themselves on social media and TikTok 🤷‍♀️ And I'm definitely too old to be following those channels anyways LOL.

Yes. Thank you. I had 4 responses and yours was the only one that made sense, lol. I think I hit a nerve when I posted that video. I just as well assumed grown adults would find it funny....................and yet it offended so many 😁 I guess that's why they removed it.
My son is 16--not sure what that has to do with anything. Have you never watched the Olympics and seen the male athletes sobbing there?? My kids have seen my DH breakdown and cry plenty of times and frankly, I think that's a whole heck of lot healthier for them than never having witnessed a male-figure in their life NOT.

Both my kids have witnessed multiple men in their lives cry--their father, grandfather, uncles, pastors, principles, friends. Not once did anyone ever comment on the masculinity, or lack thereof, when these displays of emotion were witnessed. It teaches children, especially male children, that tears are OK--whether through laughter, sadness, anger, frustration, happiness. These beliefs that male society needs to "man-up" and hide their emotions is ridiculous and outdated. Men feel these emotions every bit as women and by suppressing and hiding it, it just tends to be expressed in other ways, often ways than can be damaging.

I will repeat, he is crying over a Star Wars trailer. Not at a funeral. It's funny. I'm sorry, but it is actually very funny to watch. Mainly because I tend to lean on the side that this guy in the video is self-aware and he is trolling by what he is doing. I don't think you and a couple others are "in" on the joke here.

Let’s be real, you are making vast assumptions.

I’m a whole lotta woman and would go for someone like the man in that video before even considering even talking to a “manly man” who thinks society is in shambles because more men are crying. He wouldn’t even get my number.

I’m very much attracted to men who don’t abide by gender norms.

You are a grown man on a Disney fansite. You spend time and money visiting theme parks populated by singing animals, fake princesses, and employees who wish you a "magical day". Stop throwing stones from your Crystal Palace.

I think the joke in that video has sort of flown over your head. The idea of that video, as I see it, is that it is quite entertaining to see a grown man react to something so irrelevant and trivial. I am quite sure the man in the video is trolling. Just a guess. If he isn't, then it still is actually pretty funny to watch. Grown men don't blubber uncontrollably over a movie trailer. They just don't. And they certainly don't post it on the internet. Anyway, you guys either get the joke or you don't. I don't think you do though.

I mean, we love Disney World, sure, but heck I was in Dollywood last year and I loved that as well. I love the atmosphere, the architecture, the attention to detail, the rides. It was built for the very reasons so that all ages could enjoy it. I get a bit of a chuckle out of it that you compare a grown man who may or may not have even left his parent's basement that sobs over a movie trailer to that. Its apples and oranges. My favourite ride is Pirates. I can say with great certainty I've never sobbed while on the ride. Little Buford, are you a woman? Just asking. Because it would make a lot of sense. Californian Elitist mentioned she is. It is hard to understand how to act like a man if you are not a man. I'm sorry, the dude in the video is a man-child. That is likely the point of the video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom