Trip Report Dissertation? More Like... Disney Vacation. COMPLETED

My advisor: You should really take this time during Christmas break to plan your dissertation as your proposal will be due when we get back for the spring semester.

Me: Cool, so... I'm going to go to Disney.

Remember in May when I was like "šŸ˜¢ I don't know when I'll next be at Disney, grad school wahhhhh"? Well, I'm still like grad school wahhhhh (I have 4 exams next week and am totally taking a study break to write this right now, everyone, a master's in human anatomy is NOT easy LOLLLLLLL). But I'm coming home to Florida on Christmas Eve (true suffering Christmas Eve!! Think of me on a 8 hour flight, 5 hour layover, and 3 hour flight home as you all are making cookies for Santa Claus etc etc) and my Grandma was like "Soooooooo... Disney?"

In fact, she texted me that right as I was coming out of an embryology lecture, and so I replied "TRICK QUESTION????" and she replied "No..." And lo, reader, I should have bought an annual pass last year even though I'm in Scotland for school because I would have saved money as I just bought a Florida Resident 3 day pass yesterday that cost like $265 including tax and I don't have an income from a job anymore so I cringed while checking out but... I have requested Christmas money to cover the costs so we'll survive... And my grandma is taking care of the hotel - but won't tell me where we're staying LOL. She said off property about a week ago but I keep being like But Where? and she never answers....

Here's a Scotland break
IMG_3343.jpeg

IMG_3367.jpeg

So, January 6th-9th I'll be at WDW! My grandma idly wondered "I wonder how many times we could ride Haunted Mansion in one day..." So... the plan is, a regular MK day on the 6th, Epcot on the 7th, and our experimental MK day on the 8th. I love Star Wars as much as the next person but don't want to deal with the crowds there and also... don't really care about Animal Kingdom at the moment. I think I'd get more of my money's worth at Magic Kingdom since it's my favorite park, and this needs to keep me going through spring semester and dissertation data gathering and writing... I think we could get at LEAST 10 rides of Haunted in...

Our FP plans right now are very not set as I did it this morning half awake and are liable to change. So, for the 6th I've got Space and Big Thunder -- SPLASH IS UNDER REFURBISHMENT, I think??? So my heart is broken. And the 7th is LWTL (LOL) and Soarin', and I haven't done a third. I've done literally nothing for the 7th because.... I don't even know what we're really doing.

So, stick around for the ride if you want, because this trip is going to be... most likely? Wild. I have to survive my finals first LOL.

tonystark

Original Poster
Woo Hoo!! So excited that youā€™re going back so soon!! Good luck with your finals!!
Thanks, I'll need it! Kinda bummed I'll be missing Christmastime decorations but I'll get over it.
Beautiful pics and great news!!
Thank you! Definitely needing some Florida weather right now šŸ„¶šŸ„¶
Awesome that youā€™ll be in Disney, good luck on planning for your dissertation.
I'm meeting with my program director on Thursday because I was in a panic about not having any ideas and while I've been waiting for this appointment, I got an idea... Thanks brain! Hope she thinks it's a good one because if not... uh oh... Well, I'll drown my sorrows in a citrus swirl

PacNWTigger

Woohoo! My guy and I are actually leaving on Saturday to go to Scotland! We leave on the 23rd though to come home. I told him I needed at least one day to do laundry before I'm expected to deal with the parental units on Christmas day.

I'm excited for your trip, and wishing you the best on your finals.

tonystark

Original Poster
Woohoo! My guy and I are actually leaving on Saturday to go to Scotland! We leave on the 23rd though to come home. I told him I needed at least one day to do laundry before I'm expected to deal with the parental units on Christmas day.

I'm excited for your trip, and wishing you the best on your finals.
Oooh, I hope you're ready for the chilly weather... There's been talk of snow but I think I might be too coastal to get any (fingers crossed, last time I was in the UK with snow I slipped and fell SO MANY TIMES...) Hope you're visiting some fun places!!

tonystark

Original Poster
We're going to be centered in Edinburgh, and taking day trips from there. It said possible snow on Tuesday, so our fingers are crossed that it happens.
Love Edinburgh. Holyroodhouse Palace is worth a visit if you've not done that before, it usually gets neglected for Edinburgh Castle but I went about 2 weeks ago and thought it was really fascinating. I would pass on the Surgeon's Museum tho... I got a student discount and still felt it was a bit eh.

PacNWTigger

Just got back from Scotland right before the holiday, and we had a wonderful time. Thank you for recommending Holyrood Palace...it was beautiful!!
Holyrood Palace.jpg

We stayed in Old Town Edinburgh about a block from Greyfriars, and it was a great location to walk to everything we wanted to see.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Riverside vacation!!!

tonystark

Original Poster
Just got back from Disney this afternoon, but I fear I've come down with something so I will probably not start this TR for a few days, because I don't want to be sick when I head back to Scotland on Monday... I've succumbed to the Disney germs, I fear... šŸ¤§

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom