Dissapointed..

Piebald

Original Poster
So last night I went to DHS for a few hours. I worked at DHS for almost two years and I used to go to the parks a lot as a kid. With that being said, I had an epiphany alst night and I don't know how to feel about it: Disney didn't feel the same for me. At all.

I don't know why and maybe I just had an off day but it just didn't feel the same anymore. I tried TSM which was really neat but I would never wait more than 30 minutes for it unless I was with kids or something. GMR was so incredibly boring that I fell asleep. Granted I have been on a zillion times and even did the Great movie stride at one point, it really just needs to close down. A simple,few added scenes won't do it. I think it just stinks hoping you get a great tour guide as oppose to a really lame one (which ours was). Our Bill Hader look-alike guide was enough to knock me into a coma.

ToT and RNR were fun, but once again everything just felt weird there. I don't know but I feel like maybe being a CM for so long has ruined it for me. I also got a depressing vibe from being there, almost as if the economy is really starting to affect Disney significantly. The food was absolutely disgusting and getting rid of chicken fingers was the biggest mistake ever. The nuggets they had were grotesque and I'm not a picky eater by any means. It felt really cheap and the portions were tiny. I know I know, being a former CM I know the food is expensive but I was hungry and I expected better.

I also noticed very few actual Americans in the parks. I know school is in session but it was almost all foreigners from what I experienced. It just didn't feel the same.... does anyone else agree or did I just have an off experience?

Kelsybelle

Hmmm...hopefully this was just an "off" day for you! I visited WDW this past April and it was just as magical as ever. I hope it doesn't spoil any future Disney trips for you...:)

Dragonrider1227

to each their own. To this day, DHS remains to be my favorite park in WDW second of course to MK. Maybe it's because it has Star Wars XD Though it IS possible the economy is even hurting Disney too

RiversideBunny

Sometimes if you're not feeling up to par it can make everything sort of out of focus.

On another day, try another park, and then come back to DHS.

Just as an aside, as much as we like DHS, there does seem to be a need to add or change some stuff. Indianna Jones is one we don't do anymore.
And don't even mention Sounds Dangerous.
Other than that, it's still a very interesting park. We are usually there in December and the lights and Christmas decorations add a lot.

Good luck.
:):)

coasterphil

It's the same way for me. Moving down here and working as a CM pretty much ruined it. I still enjoy bringing my family and friends from out of town to the parks and watching them have fun though.

daliseurat

I'd say you had an off night, combined with being a cast member. If I've been too often, I have a day that feels just like that. Sometimes if I don't get something new and surprising I feel like the place isn't all that great. And then another visit later and the magic is back.

banimall

I felt like that going on the backlot tour and the first year they changed the Osborne lights to just that small section. For me it stems from MGM (can't let it go) being my favorite park and seeing it lose the excitement. When they used to film shows there (okay so Thunder in Paradise isn't exactly groundbreaking entertainment) to going to the Animation studio to see a sneak peek of the next big movie. To me it's a shell of what it used to be.

RiversideBunny

So last night I went to DHS for a few hours. I worked at DHS for almost two years and I used to go to the parks a lot as a kid. With that being said, I had an epiphany alst night and I don't know how to feel about it: Disney didn't feel the same for me. At all.

This is the 'competition' that Disney fears most.
It's not Universal Studios that they worry about.

It's having people develop a feeling of
"been there, done that, don't really want to go back, let's go somewhere else this year- like to the beach, or the mountains or Europe".

All businesses go through a cycle of being new, running along fine, and then maturing. And, if not careful, then declining.
Disney must never take its guests for granted in any respect.

IMHO
:)

banimall

That is so true, I haven't been to Disney in years and yet I haven't gotten the "craving" that I used to get when we would go all of the time.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I sorta felt that way this last trip. But it was at DHS on our last day and we had to be back at the resort by 3pm so I guess it was the stress in that and knowing I was going back home. Ontop of that lines were super long.

Club Cooloholic

Dude, it sounds like maybe you need to take a break from Disney. I don't know if you go once a year, once a month, once a week..but however often, you should take a break. I went back after not having been since the 90s and it was just awesome.
May I ask too, were you alone?
That would probably have a pretty BIG effect on how much fun you have, because it's so much better to share an experience.
When I went recently, my wife was with me and she had not been in over 18 years! Never had seen the Animal Kingdom or anything. I think you need to take a break, maybe to the point of waiting for a new ride to come, so that you can have something to get really pumped for. And bring someone who has fresh eyes.

Piebald

Original Poster
Well, to be fair, I went with people I previously worked with (CPs came to town to visit). I know it's different going with family, friends or even better, people who have never been.

I think working there may have ruined it a bit. I'm not impressed by anything anymore really, but that isn't really why I was disappointed. I was just disappointed because I felt like cutbacks were very evident at the parks. The food was gross, the merchandise seemed cheap and I was told CPs were actually going to be outsourced. I know that sounds stupid since essentially they are "outsourced" but I heard Disney was no longer going to recruit them but instead have another company do it for them. I'm not 100% sure someone can clear it up if they know more information.

My point is, DHS is lacking something and I don't think American Idol will bring anything to the table. People complain about lack of attractions but I honestly think they need to revamp a lot of their current ones before adding more.

Piebald

Original Poster
Dude, it sounds like maybe you need to take a break from Disney. I don't know if you go once a year, once a month, once a week..but however often, you should take a break. I went back after not having been since the 90s and it was just awesome.
That would probably have a pretty BIG effect on how much fun you have, because it's so much better to share an experience.
When I went recently, my wife was with me and she had not been in over 18 years! Never had seen the Animal Kingdom or anything. I think you need to take a break, maybe to the point of waiting for a new ride to come, so that you can have something to get really pumped for. And bring someone who has fresh eyes.

I hadn't been in a year.

roselindsey

The last time we went was in 2006 and I wasn't impressed with dhs back then. We liked universal way better! We went to Gatorland, Universal, Sea World and all 4 disney parks. We are going again in 9days and are just doing the 4 disney parks, the 2 disney water parks and Sea World. My dd, dsil and my 3dgks want to do.:sohappy:

Club Cooloholic

Well, to be fair, I went with people I previously worked with (CPs came to town to visit). I know it's different going with family, friends or even better, people who have never been.

I think working there may have ruined it a bit.
quote]

Might be true. I used to do some extra work, commercial auditions etc...When I would see an ad on TV or even movies I would think "ugh those people are really not that happy".
Spend some time away, like maybe...5 years.

daliseurat

I do think you have a point. DHS and really, WDW as a whole needs some new exciting stuff. The animation tour and backlot tour are lousy now, fix 'em or forget 'em. Great Movie ride needs a jolt of energy. TSM is a cool ride, but it's just not something I'd make a return trip for. And the problem DHS faces is that is has always had attraction like Animation and Backlot Tour that were never that great to repeat.

I usually don't go back to WDW until there are several new things to see. That way I always have something fresh.

I've had good food at DHS, and bad food. I find virtually all the fast food at WDW to be lousy, so I go for fresh sandwiches or eat in the restaurants.

But being a CM always gives you more insight. ANd can ruin stuff for you that a guest wouldn't even notice.

DHS is probably my least favorite park. Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster are great and everything...but after that there isnt too much that really excites me. Indy, Star Tours, GMR, Backlot Tour, Muppets are all showing there age. I thought the LMA stunt show stunk as well.

Hopefully the addition of Pixar place will spruce things up a bit

MyLittleAngels

The last time we went was in 2006 and I wasn't impressed with dhs back then. We liked universal way better! We went to Gatorland, Universal, Sea World and all 4 disney parks. We are going again in 9days and are just doing the 4 disney parks, the 2 disney water parks and Sea World. My dd, dsil and my 3dgks want to do.:sohappy:

Don't want to disappoint you, but BB is closed right now. If you're going to go to SeaWorld anyway, I suggest checking out their new waterpark, Aquatica. While each of the 2 disney waterparks have their shining stars, we have found aquatica to be a good deal more fun for our whole family.

larryl9797

Clouldnt agree more.. I was in Orlando for a Microsoft Conference and they had rented Universal for the night. I basically had the run of the place and free food. but I didnt have my family or firends there so it wasnt the same I didnt have a great time. :(

Philo

DHS has never really done it for me as a park like the others have. I don't know what it is about it because some of the attractions are great.

Whenever I'm planning a trip I always get really excited about visiting the other 3 parks but not about DHS. If it weren't for Fantasmic, RnRC and ToT I could probably live without it....

I've got big hopes for it's development though! I've yet to ride TSM but from nearly all the reports I've read, it looks to be a great first move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom