Disrespecting the parks

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Anyone have some shocking photos/videos of people just doing stuff they should never have done at the parks ?? I know This link is universal but still. My jaw dropped.

Moka

Yep. There’s also this from Twitter.

I don’t own this photo, but I actually couldn’t link the video because of the language in the twitter post it’s from.
FD54DD82-E452-4C86-912D-0BE0DEFF443A.jpeg

This was a few days ago.

Homemade Imagineering

Oh, this will drop your jaw like never before... I’ll just copy and paste the full story from one of these videos descriptions... it’s insane

“there was a guerrilla documentation made of the Orange County phenomenon usually refereed to as "the Disneyland Locals". The video documentation started in 1995 as an alternative to the afterschool task of filming skate videos. Now over 10 years later videos shot at the park between 1995 and 1997 serve as a glimpse into a piece of Southern California history overlooked by mainstream media but never forgotten by the Generation who experienced it. It always seems pretty hard to explain this to someone who wasn't there during this time period but everyone who was anyone used to hang out in the old broken down tomorrowland. Sort of like the zephyr surfers who would surf at the brokendown theme park "POP" in dogtown z boys. To hang out in tomorrowland you had to have an annual pass that would grant you admission for most if not all days of the year (depending on how fancy your pass was passes were gernerally $100-$200). Most of the people who would hang out in Disneyland grew up going to the park during their childhood in Orange County and to find this as the main hangout as teeagers was very unlikely. During the summer of 1996 security guards started revoking the passes from teens who would hang around most often siteing it as "loitering". There were a number of ways a Disneyland security guard could justify revoking your pass but most popular were "loitering" and using "illegal dance moves" on the tomorrowland dancefloor basically no touching the ground with your hands but pretty much any dance move they didnt agree with. At this point it was already to late to take away passes, the secret was out everyone knew the park like the back of their hands by now .As hundreds of passes were revoked in an attempt to put an end to Disneyland Local culture the locals would comically sneak right back in. As you can imagine the inapropriate clearence of Disneyland locals was sharply responded to by the angery teenagers....and that is when things really started to get interesting. This was the time period when the Disneyland Locals returned the lack of respect and took it out on the park...this would be anything from sneaking in a high volume of people through the re entry with used handstamps Transfered by a wide range of materials and damaging park property to getting off on the rides and re-arranging the puppets into differnt locations (ussually on "its a small world") and other restricted behaviours some more innocent than others. Mostly weak things that teenagers would think funny but still good for a laugh. You can mark the the removal of the peoplemover (the main make out point for all teeagers) as the start of the decline in the "Local Culture". As the groups grew there were Territorial spots that would sometimes move form one side of Tomorrowland to another like a pack of Gypsies. The most well known rivalry between The straight edge groups and the teen smokers would have confrontations often resulting in countless kids getting Maced. The renovation of a new more name fitting Tomorrowland came in 1997 at this time the thousands upon thousands of kids who had set up after school and summertime residency at tomorrowland rapidly declined until it completely seized to exist. Now you can walk through the new highly different, almost unrecognizable tomorrowland as if these moments never happened.”
Here are the videos

Homemade Imagineering

Oh, this will drop your jaw like never before... I’ll just copy and paste the full story from one of these videos descriptions... it’s insane

“there was a guerrilla documentation made of the Orange County phenomenon usually refereed to as "the Disneyland Locals". The video documentation started in 1995 as an alternative to the afterschool task of filming skate videos. Now over 10 years later videos shot at the park between 1995 and 1997 serve as a glimpse into a piece of Southern California history overlooked by mainstream media but never forgotten by the Generation who experienced it. It always seems pretty hard to explain this to someone who wasn't there during this time period but everyone who was anyone used to hang out in the old broken down tomorrowland. Sort of like the zephyr surfers who would surf at the brokendown theme park "POP" in dogtown z boys. To hang out in tomorrowland you had to have an annual pass that would grant you admission for most if not all days of the year (depending on how fancy your pass was passes were gernerally $100-$200). Most of the people who would hang out in Disneyland grew up going to the park during their childhood in Orange County and to find this as the main hangout as teeagers was very unlikely. During the summer of 1996 security guards started revoking the passes from teens who would hang around most often siteing it as "loitering". There were a number of ways a Disneyland security guard could justify revoking your pass but most popular were "loitering" and using "illegal dance moves" on the tomorrowland dancefloor basically no touching the ground with your hands but pretty much any dance move they didnt agree with. At this point it was already to late to take away passes, the secret was out everyone knew the park like the back of their hands by now .As hundreds of passes were revoked in an attempt to put an end to Disneyland Local culture the locals would comically sneak right back in. As you can imagine the inapropriate clearence of Disneyland locals was sharply responded to by the angery teenagers....and that is when things really started to get interesting. This was the time period when the Disneyland Locals returned the lack of respect and took it out on the park...this would be anything from sneaking in a high volume of people through the re entry with used handstamps Transfered by a wide range of materials and damaging park property to getting off on the rides and re-arranging the puppets into differnt locations (ussually on "its a small world") and other restricted behaviours some more innocent than others. Mostly weak things that teenagers would think funny but still good for a laugh. You can mark the the removal of the peoplemover (the main make out point for all teeagers) as the start of the decline in the "Local Culture". As the groups grew there were Territorial spots that would sometimes move form one side of Tomorrowland to another like a pack of Gypsies. The most well known rivalry between The straight edge groups and the teen smokers would have confrontations often resulting in countless kids getting Maced. The renovation of a new more name fitting Tomorrowland came in 1997 at this time the thousands upon thousands of kids who had set up after school and summertime residency at tomorrowland rapidly declined until it completely seized to exist. Now you can walk through the new highly different, almost unrecognizable tomorrowland as if these moments never happened.”
Here are the videos

On a side note, if anyone was around during the mid 90s for these shenanigans, or witnessed/heard anything going on at the park, feel free to post about it. I am very interested in what other things they may have done just out of curiosity. I am very much thankful that this kind of horrible behavior doesn’t happen today.

Shouldigo12

Here are the videos

Was Tomorrow land a restricted area or something? From the description it doesn't sound like their behavior was extreme while they hanging out there, so I can't tell what the problem was. I might just be missing something though. And when it says the guard revoked their passes, does that mean they were sent home for the day or were those passes just completely gone for the year?

Homemade Imagineering

Was Tomorrow land a restricted area or something? From the description it doesn't sound like their behavior was extreme while they hanging out there, so I can't tell what the problem was. I might just be missing something though. And when it says the guard revoked their passes, does that mean they were sent home for the day or were those passes just completely gone for the year?
I believe that there was extra security around Tomorrowland, and their passes were revoked for good, thus the reason they began sneaking themselves and their friends into the parks.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Did you not watch the video where they were literally walking around the sets for Small World, moving props, throwing stuff on the ride... Also skateboarding in the park?

Shouldigo12

Did you not watch the video where they were literally walking around the sets for Small World, moving props, throwing stuff on the ride... Also skateboarding in the park?
According to the video description that came after the passes were revoked. I wanted to know about before.

COrunner

I think as far as 'horrible' behavior this stuff is tame:

As a kid I thought I thought I was mooned on Tom Sawyer island. Later on my dad told me that we actually caught a guy and his lady friend doing something and I laughed because, bare bum.

We got caught in the middle of a hurricane of yelling between a Brazilian Tour Group and Cheerleader team in Animal Kingdom once that devolved into a bunch of teens screaming at each other to be louder.

Last year we were going to Epcot for dinner and meeting up with family friends who were local. They told us that Food and Wine weekends are much more local/UCF heavy then the weekdays and we didn't think anything of it till we got there. Definitely not the normal Disney atmosphere, more of a PG13 version of Cancun spring breaks which I did not mind in the least.

AndyS2992

Here are the videos

Wow, wish I hadn't watched that, sickening behaviour.

Raineman

People on DDP is disrespecting to the whole resort.
Are you serious? I've heard many people here state their dislike for the DDP, and I respect their opinion, but disrespectful? Come on. If you're going to say something like that, you need to explain yourself. Disrespect, in the context of this thread, is doing or saying things at the park that are vulgar, disgusting and uncaring, not people using a dining plan.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Anyone have that old video of the guys that walked around the Horizons attraction when it was closing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom