Disqualified from Mother of the Year: A WDW Vacation That Lacks Character(s)!

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
A question to other parents: it seems like many parents planning a trip to Disney carve out generous amounts of time, often in the precious first-morning-hour-at-the-park, to spend at character meet-and-greets, character dining, obtaining character autographs, etc. DH and I are taking our two children (son aged 6 and daughter aged 4) to WDW for their very first visit in a few months. Our touring plans do not include any character greets, and although we booked ADRs at places we thought the kids would enjoy (50's Primetime, Biergarten, Coral Reef, etc.), we did not include any character meals.

Our reasons were mainly: (1) the trip is a rare luxury and we have only 5 1/2 days to cover the parks, working at a pace that allows for frequent breaks and long afternoon naps, so it seemed silly to be spending large amounts of time in line to meet the characters when we could be enjoying shows and attractions instead; (2) in the past, the kids have gotten scared or clammed up when faced with oversized creatures (e.g., the mall Santa, Easter Bunny); (3) the character meals were either out of our budget, or the food was reviewed terribly, and we didn't want to spend precious time waiting around after a meal for a character to make the rounds; (4) it's likely that we'll have a random encounter with a character or two at some point, so making plans for a formal meet-and-greet is unnecessary; and (5) DH and I both went to WDW as children, and neither of us had any interest in meeting characters or getting autographs at that time, either (we were all about the rides!), so we're assuming that unless we create that expectation in our children, they likely won't arrive at it on their own.

Am I way off-base here? Is there some aspect of the character meet-and-greets that I am missing? I feel there must be, since their popularity seems so inexplicable to me. Will my children, deprived of access to WDW characters, grow up characterless? (Okay, just kidding about that last question).

Any input you might have would be much appreciated!

bethymouse

on dining plan?

If you're not on the Dining Plan, then character meals are buffets and can be very expensive! I do not plan meet n greets. We just go w/ the flow. My boys will be 8 our next visit. They met Pinnochio when they were 3 and were just absolutely amazed! These characters are more familiar and very friendly. Most children are just so happy to see their favorite disney character! Maybe put 1 character meal into your budget (Chef Mickey's) and then enjoy the parks as they come. You can't see everything and do everything! Just enjoy the magical experiences you will never forget! Good luck!:sohappy:

rlaeromech

You're not off base at all. We don't ever plan character meets BUT, if the kids show an interest and want to see one, we stop and let them. Let the kids decide when they see them. They'll see the line or no line, see the character and determine if its worth the time. Go with the flow.

Mawg

We went last fall with our 3 and 5 year old boys and had the free dinning plan. We booked 3 character meals which they loved and I would suggest at least one. Chef Mickey's was great because we got to take the monorail to the contemporary from the MK. But, if you don't, they will want to do some meet and greets. Here are some tips:
1. If you have park hopper take full advantage, go to the park that has magic mornings first. Do as much as you can until about noon to 2, plan your lunch or big meal. Then go to the resort and take a nap. Between noon and 5 the parks are the most crowded, you won't be that productive. A long lunch and nap is worth the time spent.
2. The kids will be well rested after their nap, go to the park that stays open the latest with Magic Hours, towards the end the lines will really thin out.
3. Let them do all the character meets they want, but be thinking about what you want to do next. Send the other adult to scout our fast passes while you wait in line. Or get a Dole bar while you wait :)
4. Make sure to have snack bags for wait in line, they make the lines for the kids so much easier.
5. Learn about rider swap
6. Consider Garden Grocer – This is a grocery store that will deliver to your resort and the bell hop will even put it in the fridge for you if you are not there. By a 24 pack of Sodas, juices and waters, breakfast foods and snacks, you can take them into the park. Saves time in the morning and a lot of money. Freeze water to take with you for later.

We did 7 nights but only 5 days in the parks and did absolutely everything even with a 2 hr meal and 2 hr nap each day and stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort.
We ate at all 3 of the restaurants you mentioned and we loved them including the kids.
All kids are different, my 5 year old was afraid to go on a lot of rides but loved the meet and greets. My 3 year old didn’t like the meet and greets but wanted to go on all the rides.
Have a great time.

HouCuseChickie

We typically plan character breakfasts before the parks open so we don't miss out on the low crowds in the early morning hours. Chef Mickey's seats as early as 7am, Cape May and 'Ohana have slots for their character meals as early as 7:30a, and each park offers at least one character meal that starts with adrs 1 hr before park opening. So, we can have breakfast with Pooh and Friends at Crystal Palace, be done and already inside the park just as the park is officially opening, and also get that cool factor of being in the park before it's open and get those awesome pics with the castle and MSUSA before the places is mobbed. i.e. WIN-WIN!!!! :sohappy:

As for meeting characters in general...the characters are like celebrities to children...i.e. the set that still believes in Santa Claus. When my girls met Mickey for the first time, they honestly and truly believed Mickey was more than just a person in that costume....i.e. he was real and at their dinner table (we tend to break for a TS dinner as well since it's good for recharging batteries). I find it hard to walk past a meet and greet and not take notice...i.e. line of people, costumed character, kids all excited, etc. but that's just me. You probably won't know if your kids will notice and want to do it until you're there and in that situation. My kids are not exactly fans of Santa Claus even though they love the gifts he brings :lol: but DD3 (who was 2 at the time of her first visit) bear hugged every character she saw and DD5 warmed up by the end of night one and was character crazy by the start of day 2.

Ultimately, meet and greets in the parks can have long lines. We have to eat and I know my kids are going to want to meet the characters...so we kill two birds with one stone...which ultimately gives us more touring time in the parks. i.e. they're not wanting to stop and meet every single character in the parks that they see. That's not to say we don't stop for meet and greets now and then, but it doesn't eat up our entire day b/c of the character meals.

If you don't think your kids will be that into meeting the characters, it probably won't be a big deal. We just consider it a big part of a trip to WDW, but that's us. I have some friends who are downright terrified of the characters and it has 0 place in their WDW vacays. Even if you don't do any character meals, I think you may want to prepare for the possibility of the kids wanting to do meet and greets.I mean, you might get through the entire trip finding they have no interest, but if they do- it might be good to have a plan b since ages 6 and 4 are great for character interaction.

Ultimately, you just have to do what you think is best for your family that will also capture their interests.

Joshua&CalebDad

Give it a try...

My wife and I made a trip to WDW last February and watching our sons, ages 4 and 1.5 at the time, interact with the charcaters was one of the best parts of the trip.

I would at least plan one or two interactions with characters the first day to try out the water. Plan them early in the morning right when you walk in to the parks, that way the lines won't be long and you get it done first thing. If your kids are not into it, you won't have lost that much time. However, if they get excited and they enjoy the interactions this give you time to re-evaluate your plans and let them do other meet and greets.

As for Character dining..you will not have to wait for a character to come by your table. It will actually be the opposite, everytime you go to get food you won't be able to because a character is coming by your table. Character Dining experiences can be really enjoyable, it all has to do with your attitude going in. Also, if you don't want to meet the characters in the park, then doing it during a character dining experience would be a nice alternative.

I'm not one to judge but in listening to your story and your lack of wanting to interact with characters as a child, it almost seems like your projecting this atitude onto your own kids. My boys never liked Santa at a young age but it was a completely different ball game with Mickey and the gang. They couldn't get enough. Your are your childrens' mother and there is nothing like your own intuition but you could be clouding it with your own inhibitions.

I go back to my earlier point, give it a shot at the begining, you may be suprised. By the way have a magical trip. :wave:

davidc1578

My kids are scared of any and all constumed characters... Until we went to WDW. It must have been that Disney Magic! My Daughter (6) had to meet the princesses and my Son (3) had to see Pirate Goofy and the rest of the Fab 5. I will never forget those moments of excitement and joy. And we have plenty of pictures and autograph books we look at all the time. Also, my wife and I never liked any characters when we were kids either.

Just be open to the idea of meeting some characters. Let the kids decide if and who they want to meet and get lots of pictures/videos if they do. Definately use the first hours in the parks for rides but don't overplan the rest of your day. Take your time and enjoy what you have time to see. Flexabilty is your friend with kids in the parks!

And if you do meet anyone, don't be afraid to get in the pictures yourselves. We have a great family picture with Pirate Goofy and another with Mickey and Pluto that are hanging in our living room. Have a great time!

CinderMama

Our boys were 4 and 5 years old on their first trip. We weren't sure how they would react so we planned lunch at the Garden Grill for the last day of our trip. The boys ended up liking the characters, but didn't want to wait in long lines to meet them. It may have been the best decision we made! The restaurant was so relaxed, the food was decent -served family style, and the characters made a couple of laps while we were there. Mickey at with my son and drew him a picture, thus solidifying Mickey as his favorite character, even now 8 yrs later. Chip also sat down with us and served mac n cheese to my other son.

It remains one of our best memories even though we've had 5 trips since then. My suggestion would be to book a character meal for late in your trip. If you find out that your kids aren't interested, you would have time to cancel. But, if by chance your kids end up being character crazy, then you'll be heroes! Whatever you decide, I'm sure your kids probably won't know the difference and will have a great time either way.

MVP Heather

One of the things we did to prepare our kids for Disney is to let them watch many of the shows with the characters in them. For instance, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or Little Einsteins. It gave them a sense of bonding with their favorite characters.

Before each trip, we ask our boys which characters they want to get their picture taken with and have discussions about the characters to build excitement. We make the top 5 on their list a priority to get pics with.

You know your kids best, they may be the kind of children that will admire characters from afar. Disney World is a Magical place, you never know what the children will do when they get there! They may surprise you.

Silver Figment

I personally think you're doing it right. If you see random characters and their lines aren't too long let your kids interact if they are interested. Easiest solution. It all depends on the kids if they're going to be more interested in characters or attractions. I liked both when i was younger but attractions more.

fmingo36

Characters are why I go to Disney so the thought of not wanting see them seems perposterous to me :eek: but I can understand why you wouldn't. Waiting in line for meet & greets can take up a huge chunck of time and if you and your children don't seem interested then why bother. It is your vacation!

I will say that my daughters (7 &4) LOVE to look at their autograph books and see who they got meet. It's one of their favorite souvenirs. And they will talk about their interactions with the characters from previous vistis more than the shows, the parades, the rides, etc. . It seems their time with the characters make more of a memory. (Do you remember when the Queen of Hearts said "Off with your Head to daddy?" "It was funny when Donald was mad at your Mickey shirt", etc...)

As other suggestion-try a character meal (you have to eat anyways, right?). Chef Mickey's is a good one because you get to meet the fab 5. I would also suggest Crsytal Palace (Pooh & Friends)-but only if you a can get one of the
1st reservation of the day. There is something magical about getting in the park before it's open to the public. Walking down Main St. you can get some great pictures without alot of people in the background.

MoonMouse1

If it fits in with your schedule, I would also suggest watching the parades.

Unless you are going during a super-peak time, you can usually find a decent seat for the 3:00 afternoon parade around ten minutes before the parade starts, and the parade only takes about 10-15 minutes to go by.

You get to see Mickey, Minnie, other notable characters such as Chip and Dale, Lilo and Stitch, Woody and Jessie, Alice, Mad Hatter, Peter Pan, Wendy, and almost every princess all within a ten minute span...all without having to actually wait in line and meet them.

Same goes for the evening parade, although you may have to get there slightly earlier to find a decent seat. :)

If your child acts super-excited to see a specific character (for instance...your daughter lights up when she sees Cinderella, or your son gets excited when he sees Mickey) perhaps you could squeeze a meet-and-greet or two into your schedule. If they act bored and don't care...at least they got to see a ton of Disney characters in a minimal time frame. :)

I_heart_Tigger

When my sister and I took my niece we only planned one character meal because she wanted to meet Cinderella. We did, however stop if we saw characters that we wanted to meet providing the lines weren't too long (anything more than 10-12 people and we didn't stop)

By just walking around the parks and with very little wait we managed to get photos with:
  • Belle & Beast
  • Aladdin & Jasmine
  • Marie
  • Pooh, Tigger & Eeyore
  • Alice
  • Mary Poppins
  • Snow White
  • Mickey
  • Minnie
  • Goofy
  • Pluto
  • Donald
  • Terk
  • Captain Hook & Smee
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Dug & Russell
  • Flik
  • Frozone
  • Mr & Mrs Incredible
  • Rafiki
  • Jiminy Cricket
  • Pocahontas
  • Lilo & Stitch
and I'm sure I'm missing a few but that just shows that without planning and in a 6 day period, we managed to meet some great characters just by wandering the parks and stopping when we wanted.

btw...it was worth getting the autograph book even if characters aren't your main focus. My niece loves it as a souvenir and it gives a bit more time to spend with the characters as opposed to just walking up and getting a photo.

KCKAS

I have 3 kids ages 10, 9, and 7. They have been to wdw 4 times now, and are going again this fall. Some of my most prized possessions are photos of my children with the characters. I have my son dressed as buzz with buzz. My daughter dressed as snow white with snow white. As well as my children at various ages with various characters. These are priceless to me.
My youngest was afraid of many of the characters and we never pushed her. She came around over the years.
The biggest advantage to character meals to me is you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You have to eat anyway, why not see 4-5 characters during your meal, instead of waiting in lines to meet 4-5 characters. I find it to be a great use of our time. We usually plan our trip to include free dining so the cost is not a factor for us. Hope that helps.
Karen

DisDadEddie

We don't pre- plan character meets we do them throughout the day. Even on a four day trip we were able to see all the meet and greet characters, some multiple times. For us the more you overplan the less you enjoy your trip. We plan what parks we'll go to what days and some meals. Beyond that try to use our time wisely. We never wait in line for rides, we always get fastpass. Some lines fast pass in either unneeded or unavailable.

foreverbelle

I see your point we usually don't plan in meet and greets, however we do try to see them should my little man decided he wants or has an interest in them. We have scheduled one meal with a character but outside of that, we look at it as though if it fits in and we are there then great. But at the same time, no sweat if we don't.

I agree this is your vacation, and because of this you vacation your way. Characters or no...

ExtinctJenn

I understand your not wanting to book the character meals but, and this is just my personal opionin, I'm not sure that the places you have booked are "places the kids will enjoy." Not saying they won't but I don't think my DS6 would "get" 50's Primetime and Coral Reef was frankly frustrating for him because he just wanted to get up and run to the glass to look at the fish. LOL!

It really comes down to knowing your family and knowing your children better than anyone else here could and making the best decision based on that. My biggest piece of advice is don't go into it planning not to do the character greets but don't plan to do them either. What I mean by this is to not be surprised if one of your children see a character with a line of folks and desperately beg you to take them to meet them. You won't know until you're there.

My son has been more times than he is old and each time has been a different experience when it came to characters. One visit he was loving them, the next he was terrified and the next he was begging for us to stand in lines to meet them. In other words, try to not be so strict on the character topic and maybe be open to some wiggle room for "unplanned" moments of awe and joy! :)

jlsHouston

aw...I couldn't do WDW without character dining... at least once...we made our first trip a year ago and it was a 4d/3n jam of MK, character dining and sleep a bit ...kids were 4 1/2 and 6. They got pretty tired..we had no meltdowns, I guess with the pace they were too exhausted to have a meltdown. But it is your vacation and you should do it your way...I am just thinking you might miss out on some of that "magic" if you aren't open to spending some time with the characters whether it is thru the dining (expensive) or the meet n greets ( wait time ).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom