Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Slpy3270

I've just noticed the ABC app is taking a page off NBC and Fox's playbook and adding live feeds and on demand content from Freeform, FX and Nat Geo (no Disney Channels and ESPN networks; those are still on DisneyNOW and the ESPN app).

It doesn't contain the complete on-demand libraries from the three networks, but I'm guessing it will take time.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

BrianLo

From the last article; "He revealed no new titles, but instead teased an upcoming content showcase event". Hard to parse out if he is exclusively talking about Asian content, but sounds like another Investor Day type presentation we got last year.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
From the last article; "He revealed no new titles, but instead teased an upcoming content showcase event". Hard to parse out if he is exclusively talking about Asian content, but sounds like another Investor Day type presentation we got last year.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the big Investor Day coming up. Disney is bound to hype its international reach and tick off all the new, original, local programing for the world's various regions.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney+ Day: November 12th
Hawkeye: November 24th

Hulu is advertising a Disney+ show. I’m assuming integration is coming.

"The Bundle" is the integration. HULU is subtly reminding you to get it if you want to watch the hottest IP in the world.

There are barriers in the US for full integration of HULU with D+ because it has a library of non-Disney IP and also does live TV (and currently still co-owned by Comcast).

Lucky Rabbit

"The Bundle" is the integration. HULU is subtly reminding you to get it if you want to watch the hottest IP in the world.

There are barriers in the US for full integration of HULU with D+ because it has a library of non-Disney IP and also does live TV (and currently still co-owned by Comcast).
Ah I see. I was under the impression Star had a lot of non-Dinsey IP as well. But I didn’t recall seeing Hulu advertise a Disney+ only show before in that way. My mistake.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ah I see. I was under the impression Star had a lot of non-Dinsey IP as well. But I didn’t recall seeing Hulu advertise a Disney+ only show before in that way. My mistake.
I don't believe Star has any non-Disney IP (that they haven't bought first).

Every 'more mature' movie or TV show from Fox TV and movies, Touchstone, Searchlight, ABC, and FX is on Star. HULU has all that plus other companies' IP.

doctornick

I don't believe Star has any non-Disney IP (that they haven't bought first).

Every 'more mature' movie or TV show from Fox TV and movies, Touchstone, Searchlight, ABC, and FX is on Star. HULU has all that plus other companies' IP.

Not only the other companies' content (and ownership), but also the "live TV" component makes Hulu in the US very different from Star. In that regards, Hulu is a competitor for Sling, YouTubeTV, etc. while the Hulu original/licensed content is more similar to Netflix, Prime TV, etc. Hulu is a weird hybrid that is tough to place in a specific bucket but it doesn't quite function the same as Star.

I'm not really sure how they would integrate Hulu directly into Disney+ in the US without changing Hulu's model completely. One option would be to just add Star in the US as part of D+ (like they do in other countries) shifting all the Hulu stuff to that and then making Hulu a live TV specific concept. But I think it makes sense to have Hulu (w/ or w/o live TV) as a separate offering for different audiences plus ESPN+ for different audiences and then have the bundle for all of them for anyone who wants them all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom