Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Ripken10

Technically, you can. Already, the changes from "theatrical only" to switching to hybrid basically is the end of "you can't do that." So they could easily say, "well, we changed it already, we're changing it again."

Also, though this particular scenario I'm about to suggest is unlikely, if all the chains decided to boycott Disney and refuse to play either Cruella or Black Widow, that would make Disney immediately reconsider and make them theatrical only.

It does make me think, BTW, about the time that the Cinerama Dome had to back out of a plan to premiere The Hateful Eight in order to get The Force Awakens. Would it have been better, in some ways, if Cinerama had said, "Well, go and take it, then. I'm keeping my promise to Quentin?"
My first thought when Disney made this announcement about Black Widow was that it was at least partially a tactic to get better deals with the chains that boycotted Disney. It certainly would have some of the theaters worried to lose the blockbuster movies to Disney+. A game of chicken (sort of like what some rumors said about the Sony-Marvel deal with Sony that unfolded earlier).

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The project, from the films’ producer Jerry Bruckheimer and original writers Marianne and Cormac Wibberley, is a reimagining of the National Treasurefranchise. Written by the Wibberleys and to be directed by Mira Nair (Vanity Fair), the series explores the timely issues of identity, community, historical authorship and patriotism, told from the point of view of Jess Morales, a twenty-year-old DREAMer who, with her diverse group of friends, sets off on the adventure of a lifetime to uncover her mysterious family history and recover lost treasure.

Jess Morales is taking the torch from Benjamin Gates, the National Treasure films’ protagonist played by Nicolas Cage.

The Wibberleys executive produce with Jerry Bruckheimer Television. ABC Signature is the studio.

Senior-level writers are expected to join the Wibberleys, whose TV credits includeLA’s Finest. They have worked with Bruckheimer on several movies, including the first two National Treasure films and G-Force.

The development of the National Treasure series has been on parallel tracks with the long gestating trequel to Jon Turtletaub‘s movie franchise starring Cage, which brought in Chris Bremner as writer in January 2020.

Disney+ has several upcoming series based on the Disney movies, including Turner & Hooch, The Mighty Ducks and a Beauty and the Beast spinoff."

DavidNoble

seascape

I hope they do a good job with this and show the full truth of Slavery. Slavery was horrible and completely wrong but that did not stop some of the slaves from creating inventions like the cotton gin that built the country. I also would like to see the story of the Northern Businesses and how they exploited the Slave Trade. It is just wrong how many Americans have no idea how much the North benefited from Slavery and are also to blame for it's continuation. The South was not the only Americans who gained financially from this black mark in our history. Plus if the full story is to be given it's proper place in history, the entire history of slavery throughout the world should be discussed. America is far from the only place in the world to have slavery. China still has it today.

Animaniac93-98

Island at the Top of the World looks to be the old master used for the 2004 DVD release.

Is Third Man on the Mountain on the USA Disney+? No listing for it in Canada.

Looks like they'll also do one season at a time for Adventures in Wonderland.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney+ has opted not to order a second season of space race series The Right Stuff. The Mercury 7 period drama, starring Patrick J. Adams and Jake McDorman, originated at National Geographic before launching as a Disney+ original last October. It is Disney+’s first scripted series cancellation."

tcool123

Crossfire

This is only a rumor but it would be great for Hulu/Star if true.

Darkprime

Interestingly Morbius and No Way Home aren't part of the arrangement. Could Disney's 25% stake in the film had something to do with that? So it doesn't necessarily rule out the Tom Holland Spider-Man films coming to Disney+ at some point.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Interestingly Morbius and No Way Home aren't part of the arrangement. Could Disney's 25% stake in the film had something to do with that? So it doesn't necessarily rule out the Tom Holland Spider-Man films coming to Disney+ at some point.
Right. I interpret it that Netflix gets the first bite at the streaming window.

Question is will Disney arrange for it to be on D+ even if it's on other streamers or PPV sites after that window is over?

Darkprime

Right. I interpret it that Netflix gets the first bite at the streaming window.

Question is will Disney arrange for it to be on D+ even if it's on other streamers or PPV sites after that window is over?

Actually I was wrong about Morbius, looks like it is part of the deal. But No Way Home for sure isn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom