Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Jedijax719

If Mulan does well I wonder if AT&T responds with WW84 or TENET on HBO Max to drive subscriptions.
I personally cannot see people signing up for subscriptions just to see one or two movies. For D+, you will have people pay the $30 who already have D+. A one time $30 deal isn't the end of the world for some. However, to pay for an entire subscription for one movie doesn't seem worth it IF that movie is eventually available for digital download/rental in a few months.

doctornick

Why not? All the other Marvel Fox movies are starting to being pushed to D+, so why can't New Mutants.

Because New Mutants is supposedly a horror type film. There was talk of it getting a R rating due to violence though it seems to have been toned down for the theatrical cut.

Other Fox X-Men movies have appeared on Disney+ but not all of them. I wouldn’t expect Logan or Deadpool to ever appear there (well maybe the Once Upon a Deadpool version) and I’m skeptical that New Mutants would be viewed as fitting in with the Disney+ vibe.

insideguy

New Mutants doesn't seem like something appropriate for Disney+. I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up on on VOD (in fact, I think that's far more likely than it ever being released in theaters) but I would expect it to either go on Hulu in some way or through more traditional VOD offerings.
People say this but has anyone watched the runaways? This isn't your typical Disney + show at all

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Because New Mutants is supposedly a horror type film. There was talk of it getting a R rating due to violence though it seems to have been toned down for the theatrical cut.

Other Fox X-Men movies have appeared on Disney+ but not all of them. I wouldn’t expect Logan or Deadpool to ever appear there (well maybe the Once Upon a Deadpool version) and I’m skeptical that New Mutants would be viewed as fitting in with the Disney+ vibe.
We'll see what happens, especially as more of the Marvel Fox content gets removed from other streaming platforms. But a lot of what you were saying was said about the other X-Men movies, that they'd never go to D+ because of things like language and partial nudity. And yet they did. So just because its "horror" based doesn't mean it can't go to D+. Also I have long predicted that D+ will be getting more parental locks so they can add some of the more non-kid friendly content. So that is also a way to get the more of the adult Marvel Fox content, such as Logan and Deadpool like you mentioned, onto D+.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The New Mutants has a much more prominent horror aspect.

The closest thing to horror on Disney+ is the audience reaction to Artemis Fowl.
I'd consider this horror, campy horror, but under the horror genre nonetheless:

Boogedy.jpeg

And what about Return to Oz, again considered Horror by most. Scared the crap out of me when I was younger....

Anyways, we'll see. I just can see it going to D+PVOD here in the very near future if it can't make its new date.

Tony Perkis

I'd consider this horror, campy horror, but under the horror genre nonetheless:

Boogedy.jpeg

And what about Return to Oz, again considered Horror by most. Scared the crap out of me when I was younger....

Anyways, we'll see. I just can see it going to D+PVOD here in the very near future if it can't make its new date.
I don’t expect The New Mutants to be campy horror.

seascape

I have to admit I thought Disney+ would have done better this quarter. They are up to just over 60 million subscribers as of Monday but I expected more. Yes, the Japan launch was much less than I expected and yes it can be explained by the limited nature of who could sign up first but that is still no excuse. Disney has to do a better job in rolling out Disney+ in Asia. Hopefully with the Hotstat Disney Plus offering they will improve.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have to admit I thought Disney+ would have done better this quarter. They are up to just over 60 million subscribers as of Monday but I expected more. Yes, the Japan launch was much less than I expected and yes it can be explained by the limited nature of who could sign up first but that is still no excuse. Disney has to do a better job in rolling out Disney+ in Asia. Hopefully with the Hotstat Disney Plus offering they will improve.
I'm not sure how much more you were expecting, but they are still ahead of even by their own internal projections. They weren't projected to hit 60-90 Million until FY24. And by all account its looks like they'll hit 75+ Million by years end if not 100 Million. So they are far and away doing way better than anyone predicted.

seascape

I'm not sure how much more you were expecting, but they are still ahead of even by their own internal projections. They weren't projected to hit 60-90 Million until FY24. And by all account its looks like they'll hit 75+ Million by years end if not 100 Million. So they are far and away doing way better than anyone predicted.
I believed their launch in Japan was not done correctly. They should have either made it clear to everyone in advance that it was extremely limited or just launched it to everyone. As for the end of the year, I am not sure now what it will be. The loss of Cricket hurts Hotstar/Disney+ but it's launch in Asia will help. Eventually Hotstar/Disney+ will have more Asian Customers than Netflix currently has worldwide. Asia is that huge a market wven though the RPU is much lower.

Now getting to the financial bottom line. Disney+ is way ahead of the pathetically low expectations Disney set. They were always going to blow those numbers away. However Covid19 did help too and you are right they will end the year with over 75 million customers and possibly 100 million. I would expect over 90 million. As a result, not only will Disney+ be profitable for The Walt Disney Company but the profits for the studios will be much higher. The ideal situation for the studio's would be if they can get enough money from Disney+ for their libraries to cover the production costs of their new movies, the company's financial situation would be secured for any future economic catastrophe.

Jon81uk

We'll see what happens, especially as more of the Marvel Fox content gets removed from other streaming platforms. But a lot of what you were saying was said about the other X-Men movies, that they'd never go to D+ because of things like language and partial nudity. And yet they did. So just because its "horror" based doesn't mean it can't go to D+. Also I have long predicted that D+ will be getting more parental locks so they can add some of the more non-kid friendly content. So that is also a way to get the more of the adult Marvel Fox content, such as Logan and Deadpool like you mentioned, onto D+.

It doesn't seem impossible that it might be different in different countries/markets.

In the US I think somethings get released on Hulu instead? But in the UK/Europe it wouldn't surprise me if Disney started adding less family friendly films.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It doesn't seem impossible that it might be different in different countries/markets.

In the US I think somethings get released on Hulu instead? But in the UK/Europe it wouldn't surprise me if Disney started adding less family friendly films.
Maybe, I guess it depends on where they want to drive subscriber growth. Plus while I know that Hulu is getting some Marvel content, in my mind they would want to keep as much of the Marvel content together as possible. And right now they've setup D+ as they're primary Marvel content holder, for example the original X-Men just dropped today and The Wolverine (very violent by the way) drops on Sept 4th. But yeah I could see it going to Hulu in US as well.

insideguy

Maybe, I guess it depends on where they want to drive subscriber growth. Plus while I know that Hulu is getting some Marvel content, in my mind they would want to keep as much of the Marvel content together as possible. And right now they've setup D+ as they're primary Marvel content holder, for example the original X-Men just dropped today and The Wolverine (very violent by the way) drops on Sept 4th. But yeah I could see it going to Hulu in US as well.
I don't really know where Disney + draws the line especially when it comes to marvel content and violence. I am not sure they know where the line is either lol. The whole thing is crazy when they block out Daryl Hannah's bum, but blue x men characters walk around basically naked. Not that I care. I think I mentioned the Runaways on another post. The show originally ran on Hulu. And is in no way a Disney show at all. Its about teenagers sure but its not a kids show at all. Not even close. Like I said I couldn't tell you where Disney + is on what they will put on their service. I think they are attempting to make it up as they go along lol. Which honestly I don't blame them cause it can't be easy.

brb1006

Has anybody seen the Howard Ashman documentary that arrived today? Will check that out once I finish watching "Wizards" on Netflix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom