Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

prberk

Im very ho-hum on all the new stuff thats announced. What is really going to sell me and lots of other parents on this service is if they include the old shorts in this service. I want to watch Donald Duck when he was angry and always tearing things apart because of Chip and Dale. I want to see Fantasia. You know, all the material they NEVER show on any of the 3-4 Disney channels on cable these days.

Yes. Cannot agree more... unless it counts to say that I really wish we still had a Disney Channel (instead of "Disney" Channels in name only). The classic stuff, including Mickey Mouse Club and the great library of films, needs to be aired somewhere and kept before the public eye.

prberk

It's been announced in the 4th Q 2018 conference that the new OTT (over the top) streaming service is going to be called: Disney+

Preview page: https://preview.disneyplus.com/

Which should be no surprise since Disney throws the plus sign on all things internet and hi-tech connectedness (FastPass+) much like Apple uses the 'i-' prefix.

In addition to the already announced Star Wars live series featuring Mandalor, there will be a second live series the next year that "will follow the adventures of Rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."

Also previously announced is:

Made-for-Streaming-Movies
  • Magic Camp
  • Noelle
  • Timmy Failure
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • Stargirl
  • Togo
  • 3 Men and a Baby
  • Don Quixote
  • Father of the Bride
  • Flora & Ulysses
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
  • The Paper Magician
  • The Parent Trap
  • Peter Pan
  • The Sword in the Stone

Series..
  • High Fidelity
  • High School Musical: The Musical
  • Ink & Paint
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (season 7)]
  • The Mandalorian
  • Untitled ABC Studios docuseries
  • Untitled live-action Falcon and Winter Soldier limited series from Marvel Studios
  • Untitled live-action Loki limited series from Marvel Studios
  • Untitled live-action Marvel Television series
  • Untitled live-action Scarlet Witch limited series from Marvel Studios
  • Untitled Rogue One prequel series
  • Untitled Mighty Ducks series
  • Untitled Monsters, Inc. series
  • Untitled Muppets series
Just clicked on the preview page and saw "National Geographic" logo along with the expected Disney, Pixar, Marvel, etc., logos. Did Disney buy an interest in National Geographic? If so, why haven't they used it at Epcot?

prberk

I believe it was part of Fox
Yeah, I believe Fox owns a 75% stake..so that would now go to Disney
Well, then, they have no excuse not to feature real discovery at Epcot.

I have always thought that they should use the Epcot name and backdrop for a show about discovery and be a real world showcase while still doing their favorite thing: synergy. Now they have a natural place for it.

But even without National Geographic, they should be showcasing Epcot on TV more and investing in it. Just gives them more reason now.

erasure fan1

but I want wonderful world of color... ALL OF THEM
Well that's the big question. How much of the "vault" are we going to get? That is what will determine if I buy in right away or wait until what I want to see is all there and just binge watch for a month and cancel. And then lather, rinse, repeat. Disney has no reason to not have all the classic back catalog stuff with this service.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Well that's the big question. How much of the "vault" are we going to get? That is what will determine if I buy in right away or wait until what I want to see is all there and just binge watch for a month and cancel. And then lather, rinse, repeat. Disney has no reasonto not have all the classic back catalog stuff with this service.
And all of the one off specials of like when living seas opened or cough Barbie (I wont watch that one) or of epcot opening. I would really love for a D23 event to be on there like the live panels and things so you can watch later and see behind the scenes. And some behind the scenes on how rides are made and what goes into building avatar. Or even something like star wars land, can you imagine if we are getting a new ride if they would do like a 30 minute show weekly showing construction and what goes into the design. You could binge it at once or really keep up to date.. can you imagine how excited you would be to ride it if you watched them build it for months. I'm to young to remember but isn't that basically what they did with Disneyland. Talk about a show that would be cheap to make.

prberk

And all of the one off specials of like when living seas opened or cough Barbie (I wont watch that one) or of epcot opening. I would really love for a D23 event to be on there like the live panels and things so you can watch later and see behind the scenes. And some behind the scenes on how rides are made and what goes into building avatar. Or even something like star wars land, can you imagine if we are getting a new ride if they would do like a 30 minute show weekly showing construction and what goes into the design. You could binge it at once or really keep up to date.. can you imagine how excited you would be to ride it if you watched them build it for months. I'm to young to remember but isn't that basically what they did with Disneyland. Talk about a show that would be cheap to make.

Yes, that is exactly what Walt Disney did with his show, before and after the main segments.

And really what you are describing is the old Disney Channel and its filler. Remember "Walt Disney World Inside/Out"? What a great use of "synergy" -- it made an interesting show while whetting our appetites for things to see at Walt Disney World.

I think they (1) have forgotten what they really have, (2) don't believe in it any more, and (3) don't know how to cross-sell it like that (because they don't really believe in it in their hearts).

These days the programming people at Disney channel(s) are all about market segmentation.

Have you ever bought any edition of Dave Smith's Disney A to Z encyclopedias? They are all fantastic (thorough reminders of everything Disney ever put out) and at times depressing (that Disney never puts them on TV anymore, to let the new generations see them). He revised it again last year, and I enjoy looking through it from time to time. But of course it reminds me of all the content I wish the company would make available again. I recommend buying for Disney fans.

brb1006

Rolling Stone editor reports Disney+ has passed on picking up the Netflix Marvel shows

Unfortunate news, but objectively looking at the Disney+ service and its family-friendly remit, this isn't really a surprise. Sepinwall also reconfirms Marvel Studios (the film department) dislike the television shows, so if they were to ever adapt the characters, it'd likely be a reboot as part of the MCU.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Rolling Stone editor reports Disney+ has passed on picking up the Netflix Marvel shows

Unfortunate news, but objectively looking at the Disney+ service and its family-friendly remit, this isn't really a surprise. Sepinwall also reconfirms Marvel Studios (the film department) dislike the television shows, so if they were to ever adapt the characters, it'd likely be a reboot as part of the MCU.
That stinks especially considering that they have cancelled all of them save for Jessica Jones and the Punisher.

Princess Leia

Of all of the Defenders shows, Daredevil would be the easiest to adapt as a film. The show could be considered the origin story, and the film would still be able to use Bullseye and Fisk as the villains. Elektra could be brought in for it or the probable sequel. Just tone the violence down a bit and it’d be an easy transition to the big screen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So I was already planning to sign up for Disney+, but I’m sure that the recent announcements about the cast for The Mandalorian is going to get a few more people interested.

Some really interesting casting choices. I really like Pedro Pascal and Giancarlo Esposito, they are great choices. Carl Weathers and Nick Nolte are not names I would have expected.

"Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction)."

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some really interesting casting choices. I really like Pedro Pascal and Giancarlo Esposito, they are great choices. Carl Weathers and Nick Nolte are not names I would have expected.

"Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction)."
Given how much the Star Wars Universe has expanded since Disney purchased them it will not be long before there are more people on the planet that have acted in a Star Wars movie than have not.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom