Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney Original Documentary and Disney+ have won the rights to a big feature documentary package, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: The Final Elton John Performances And the Years That Made His Legend. No one would comment, but we hear the docu, from Academy Award-nominee R.J. Cutler as well as filmmaker (and longtime Elton John partner) David Furnish, sold for about $30 million.

Designed to serve as the official feature on Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is comprised of unseen concert footage of him over the past 50 years, hand-written journals and present-day footage of him and his family. The plan for the project is to get a festival run and limited theatrical release and be made available exclusively on Disney+."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some quotes on the ad-supported version of Disney+

Speaking alongside Disney CFO Christine McCarthy at a conference hosted by Wall Street research firm MoffettNathanson, Ferro said the plan is to “start slow” with 15- and 30-second spots before adding the full suite of ad options on Disney+. Since the announcement earlier this year about the ad-supported option, she said, “I can’t even tell you the demand we’ve had for this. … The response has been extraordinary.”

McCarthy was asked about the expectations for how many subscribers will take Disney+ with ads, as opposed to the ad-free version. “That will probably be about the same percentage for Disney+ and Hulu, based on the experience curve that we’ve witnessed.” Hulu has generally tilted toward the cheaper, ad-supported version, as is the case for Paramount+, Discovery+ and other dual-model options.

Here's the slide that was shown -

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 2.24.49 PM.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What the actual hell are these fools talking about?

They are telling their investors that people are looking to embrace commercials after 20 years of weening?

Yeah…magic beans will be available on shopDisney any day now

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
What the actual hell are these fools talking about?

They are telling their investors that people are looking to embrace commercials after 20 years of weening?

Yeah…magic beans will be available on shopDisney any day now
Their own data shows that's what the Hulu subscribers choose.

Tho, the wild card is that Hulu is also a Live TV provider with the ability to record, so, that may skew the stats.

Double tho... Disney was bad at predicting how popular D+ would be with households with no children. But Bobs expressed surprise that more than half of D+ subs are childless households. And now we know the actual stat: 62%. I guess that's how D+ blew through their first goal, with all those extra childless subs.

Also... those who haven't cut the cord yet are tolerating 14 minutes of commercials per hour on linear networks. Two-to five minutes an hour will seem like a welcome respite.

TrainsOfDisney

But Bobs expressed surprise that more than half of D+ subs are childless households. And now we know the actual stat: 62%.
Yup. And they are ruining the parks because they don’t understand the fan base. It’s not all families with kids.

And the answer is not putting more “adult” content on Disney+, we adult Disney fans do not want to go to Disney for that type of content. Disney should be Disney (Disney, Pixar, Muppets, )

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yup. And they are ruining the parks because they don’t understand the fan base. It’s not all families with kids.

And the answer is not putting more “adult” content on Disney+, we adult Disney fans do not want to go to Disney for that type of content. Disney should be Disney (Disney, Pixar, Muppets, )
Actually, Disney has data and you don't, so don't be speaking for all Disney fans.

They said very specifically that when they poll customers, especially the ones who churn away, that they want more "general entertainment" which is code for R-rated stuff (as opposed to "family entertainment").

Disney is providing that with Hulu in 'the bundle,' but internationally, Hulu doesn't exist. So, they'd have to bring "general entertainment" to the Star hub.

In the end, Disney will have to do something about the Hulu/D+ dichotomy in the U.S. But that can't happen to Comcast is finally out of the Hulu picture (which is in progress).

Disney has the four quadrants already (boys, girls, men, women), but the specifically adult new media content is sparse. And if D+ is going to compete with the other streamers, they'll need it.

Despite what some may think all Disney fans really want.

As to the parks, which is another story, putting in more 'adult' attractions doesn't expand the customer base, but limits it. That's because families with children get locked out of thrill rides because of the height requirement. When Disney does try more adult attractions (The ExtraTerrorstrial) the customer base is flummoxed because they'd never think Disney would make an attraction that leaves kids screaming and crying locked into a chair in the dark. So, despite the warnings, they go on and then complain and the CSAT of the park goes down.

Unlike a streaming service that can lock off the adult section and that's no big deal for families with children since there's plenty of content to go around, they can't do that with parks, because of the space and cost of attractions. This was the big complaint of families for DHS until recently... not enough rides for children.

That's why the parks will remain "more family friendly" and the streamers will be more "general entertainment."

TrainsOfDisney

Well since D+ just gain 2M+ more subs than were predicted this quarter I would say its doing them better than you think.
I think some of that is credited to Turning Red being Disney+ exclusive.

I think Disney+ is a good product. What I think is wrong is Disney exec’s trying to change the formula. Adding commercials, adding more adult content etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think some of that is credited to Turning Red being Disney+ exclusive.
Sure, but there is a lot of new content coming so just one specific movie isn't likely to move the needle a great deal.

I think Disney+ is a good product. What I think is wrong is Disney exec’s trying to change the formula. Adding commercials, adding more adult content etc.
Except Disney is no longer just a US company. So they have to think about the global market. Global markets mind you that don't care if adult content is being mixed with the "Disney Brand".

Not only that but even here in the US I think its only a small subset of purist fans that think of Disney still needing to shy away from anything that isn't considered "family friendly". Consumers want choice in their streaming services, and that includes the choice to have adult/general content mixed in with their "Disney Brand" content. And by using adult controls and the different brand tiles it gives consumers the greatest choice.

So that is a long winded way of saying, you can always setup a "Kid profile" if you don't want to see anything that you would consider not part of the "Disney Brand". You have the ability to choose your Disney+ experience.

As for ads, well that is the nature of streaming, as all the industry players are moving to lower priced tiers back by ads. Hulu has had that for a very long time, so its not like its out of the norm.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I never claimed to be speaking for all Disney fans. Disney’s data isn’t really doing them much good from what I can tell.
Actually, you did. Twice...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom