Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Me too. I would really like to see this app on Xfinity, so that I can easily route it to my surround sound the way that the rest of my TV is.
The Xbox app was out in time which largely solves the issue for me, but an Xfinity one would be a bit easier to access.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I just logged into my Verizon account and the landing screen walked me through signing up.

Resource at '/content/wcms/solutions-and-services/disneyplus.html' not found: No resource found

Cannot serve request to /content/wcms/solutions-and-services/disneyplus.html on this server

ApacheSling/2.4 (jetty/9.2.14.v20151106, Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_73, SunOS 5.11 sparcv9)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
BaghdadBob - DisneyPlus.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm still waiting until gift cards are available for this instead..I have no hurry...Plus with not havng certain shows and movies I liked not being on there I have no rush to get it...

Stripes

I love how people on twitter are like their D+ experience is dead and done because they couldn't use the service on a weekday morning on launch day?

Goto work people and they'll figure out the load crush.

Still stupid they didn't roll this out better.. but FFS people... drama much?
Exactly. It’s launch day people. Get a grip.

With the exception of a few tech companies that usually have things down pat, virtually every company is going to have server issues on the first day for something like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member

With the exception of a few tech companies that usually have things down pat, virtually every company is going to have server issues on the first day for something like this.

The wacky part is they should have had a good view of their customer list.. given they pre-sold, etc. But I imagine alot of the bundled promos (like verizon, etc) are a bit of wildcards..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The wacky part is they should have had a good view of their customer list.. given they pre-sold, etc. But I imagine alot of the bundled promos (like verizon, etc) are a bit of wildcards..

I imagine Verizon knows how much of their subscriber base is eligible and would have told Disney that. There should have been excess capacity for Day 1.

mikejs78

Premium Member
If they're having "technical issues due to demand that exceeded our high expectations" (which is pure BS, because something like this should have excess capacity if anyone smart was running the show), adding in a few million Verizon customers isn't going to help.
I love how people on twitter are like their D+ experience is dead and done because they couldn't use the service on a weekday morning on launch day?

Goto work people and they'll figure out the load crush.

Still stupid they didn't roll this out better.. but FFS people... drama much?
I imagine Verizon knows how much of their subscriber base is eligible and would have told Disney that. There should have been excess capacity for Day 1.
As someone who has been involved with launches like this, it isn't nearly as easy as it sounds and it may not be something as easy as "adding capacity". You can performance test an application to infinity and beyond, but once real users start to hit it it's a whole new world - users do unanticipated things and traffic patterns turn out to not be what was expected.

DisneyJoe

Unfortunately, Disney is well known for server issues whenever a new WDW/DCL promo is released, and that happens multiple times per year, and has been for at least 10+ years - yes, granted, that is the travel side of things, but it is embarrassing - you would think they would put some priority into handling it - and perhaps being ready for something like this.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Verizon seems to be working now, I was able to get signed up.

Still problems on the home page, but browsing collections worked.

Edit: Home page shows up now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As someone who has been involved with launches like this, it isn't nearly as easy as it sounds and it may not be something as easy as "adding capacity". You can performance test an application to infinity and beyond, but once real users start to hit it it's a whole new world - users do unanticipated things and traffic patterns turn out to not be what was expected.

Sure.. we file that under 'greater than expected demand'... either through true surges or just bad modeling. But really Disney should have been massively overbuilt from the start... this is not some 'tip your toes in..' service... Disney has been banking on this all the way up to the board/street level as the big keystone to their media future.

If they don't have the capacity issues sorted by the evening news time.. they're gonna get roasted this week. A few hours or half day.. ok, if they can't address it quicker than that.. they'll be a punching bag for the next 2 weeks.

Disney is not breaking new ground here with tech... This is Disney playing catchup and the microscope is already on them.

Cmdr_Crimson

Was hoping to see more Muppet related shows but only showing 6 out the 8 movies and no Muppet show, Muppets Tonight, The Muppets (abc), or Dinosaurs...I might just hold off...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom