Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

mharrington

I looked up the list of devices compatible with Disney+, but it looks like Samsung and Vizio Smart TVs, the kinds of TVs we have, are, for some reason, not compatible with Disney+. I brought this up with my mother, who was almost as eager to get Disney+ as I am, and she just shrugged it off, saying that they're going to lose a lot of customers who want to have Disney+ on Samsung or Vizio, but can't.

Cosmic Commando

I looked up the list of devices compatible with Disney+, but it looks like Samsung and Vizio Smart TVs, the kinds of TVs we have, are, for some reason, not compatible with Disney+. I brought this up with my mother, who was almost as eager to get Disney+ as I am, and she just shrugged it off, saying that they're going to lose a lot of customers who want to have Disney+ on Samsung or Vizio, but can't.
Yeah this is really frustrating. You don't wonder, "Gee, will Netflix have an app on my brand of TV?", and Disney+ should be the same way. I have Vizio TVs. My guess is a lot of people have already purchased some kind of subscription, and don't realize the devices they currently own won't work. It's a Day 1 negative news story you don't want.

mharrington

Yeah this is really frustrating. You don't wonder, "Gee, will Netflix have an app on my brand of TV?", and Disney+ should be the same way. I have Vizio TVs. My guess is a lot of people have already purchased some kind of subscription, and don't realize the devices they currently own won't work. It's a Day 1 negative news story you don't want.

We have not yet subscribed, but apparently it is available on all Internet connections, plus Roku, which we used to have for Netflix. Since then, we have upgraded to Vizio. Of course, Disney Plus wasn't a thing back then. I think we may have to bring Roku back for Disney Plus. Technically, we can access Disney Plus via Internet, but it's not very convenient.

In addition, I don't think I saw it on the list of where Disney Plus was or was not supported, but what about Sony Blu-Ray players?

mharrington

We actually do have a Roku box that we have put away since 2013 because Netflix became available on Vizio, but that was five or six years ago, and I'm not sure if the Roku box we have is compatible or if we will need a newer Roku box.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don't be surprised if non-Android SmartTVs like Samsung and Vizio are added later. The current list is just what will be available at launch day. Devices will be added, removed, re-added, etc. over the life of this service. With all the consumer devices out there that can stream content Disney just had to choose the most popular ones. Plus its not always easy to build apps for these devices and keep them updated. For example I know that Youtube hasn't updated their app on Samsung TVs in like a year.

Also if you want a specific device I'm sure Disney will take suggestions for future devices. And if enough customers request a specific device they will likely look to release Disney+ to that device.

mharrington

Don't be surprised if non-Android SmartTVs like Samsung and Vizio are added later. The current list is just what will be available at launch day. Devices will be added, removed, re-added, etc. over the life of this service. With all the consumer devices out there that can stream content Disney just had to choose the most popular ones. Plus its not always easy to build apps for these devices and keep them updated. For example I know that Youtube hasn't updated their app on Samsung TVs in like a year.

Also if you want a specific device I'm sure Disney will take suggestions for future devices. And if enough customers request a specific device they will likely look to release Disney+ to that device.

I hope then that the app can be used on Samsung TVs sooner than later. Much sooner. And my parents seem willing to wait for however long it takes for it to come.

Also, when/if they do mention it coming to Samsung TVs, I hope they give a definitive date for that, again sooner than later.

Last edited:

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom