Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

seascape

Sell implies whoever holds any steak will lose.
Sell implies it is not a good value at the time compared to another company. Over the years there have been many sell recommendations for Microsoft, the worlds most valuable company. The company survived and its growth continued.

Now, please find an expert that predicted Netflix would see a drop in subscribers before this quarter or admit you can't. I have yet to find one but would be happy to admit I was wrong as I have in the past when I was. No one here is perfect and I know I as m not either.

Tony Perkis

Sell implies it is not a good value at the time compared to another company. Over the years there have been many sell recommendations for Microsoft, the worlds most valuable company. The company survived and its growth continued.

Now, please find an expert that predicted Netflix would see a drop in subscribers before this quarter or admit you can't. I have yet to find one but would be happy to admit I was wrong as I have in the past when I was. No one here is perfect and I know I as m not either.
I have already provided you a link, and it was dated just over a month ago. Don’t act willfully ignorant on this.

seascape

I have already provided you a link, and it was dated just over a month ago. Don’t act willfully ignorant on this.
The story you linked was from CNBC on June 14. It said to sell Netflix and buy Disney. This is a common practice to make money but nowhere does it say Netflix will lose customers, it only says Disney will grow faster than Netflix, which it has. Now that Netflix has gone down so much some financial advisers are saying its time to buy Netflix because they think the growth will return.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now that Disney has complete control over Hulu, they need to overhaul the UI and apps. They're horrible.
I believe it was mentioned they would eventually have a unified UI look between all services to make it seamless. I don’t know if they stated a timeframe but I’d expect a little after launch of D+ that Hulu gets a facelift.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm sorry but this isn't news. Every major corporation who has ever missed earning projections has been a targets of a shareholder lawsuit. And its usually by those same law firms on behalf of some shareholder advocacy group who just wants the company to open their books after the company initially refuses. Its very common and not telling of very much.

winstongator

Talked to someone in the entertainment industry last week. They asked how my kids watch shows. We’re cord cutters, so The first stop for them is apps. They then consume a lot of YouTube. Then in the days we are in hotels with TVs or they’re at the grandparents they watch traditional linear tv.

I hadn’t really thought of this. With Disney+ they’ll get all their shows, and all back episodes. It’s a pretty substantial moat. For travel, it’ll be nice if there’s some limited download capabilities like amazon prime video and Netflix. Currently for Disney Now (and other channels) you need a subscription and our slingTV doesn’t cut it.

I think Disney+ will outperform expectations and it’ll be kids in cord cutting households making a huge difference.

seascape

Talked to someone in the entertainment industry last week. They asked how my kids watch shows. We’re cord cutters, so The first stop for them is apps. They then consume a lot of YouTube. Then in the days we are in hotels with TVs or they’re at the grandparents they watch traditional linear tv.

I hadn’t really thought of this. With Disney+ they’ll get all their shows, and all back episodes. It’s a pretty substantial moat. For travel, it’ll be nice if there’s some limited download capabilities like amazon prime video and Netflix. Currently for Disney Now (and other channels) you need a subscription and our slingTV doesn’t cut it.

I think Disney+ will outperform expectations and it’ll be kids in cord cutting households making a huge difference.
I agree. As I have previously said, Disney plus and Hulu with live TV is all anyone needs. It will allow people to subscribe to one service plan and use it anywhere. Even without live TV it is all most people will need.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Everything's downloadable for D+.

prberk

I for one an really interested to see the classic live action movies and TV shows on Disney+.

I have Dave Smith's last version of the "Disney A-Z" Disney Encyclopedia that he published (2015 or '16) before he died; and while it is a wonderful treasure trove of Disney history (with a bunch of pictures throughout, as well as great detail on most items), in some ways it makes me sad that so much of this history that used to be on display throughout the company -- especially on the Disney Channel, but sometimes on other shows and re-releases -- is just no longer out there to find. Disney used to be so good at balancing the trendy popular things with the other things that might have a narrow audience but have depth or be something for the curious.

I think that Disney+ could be that again, if most of the curious older or less popular things get on it. I still think that the Disney Channel was best when it exposed the audience to a wide variety of old and new Disney, including the curious older material. It often found a new audience.

I hope Disney+ does that same.

I personally would like to see the old ('50s) MMC, some of the Westerns ("Old Yeller" especially); the '60s and '70s live action films, like "Candleshoe"; classic color cartoon shorts; and Wonderful World of Disney TV-movies.

Last edited:

mary2013

I for one an really interested to see the classic live action movies and TV shows on Disney+.

I have Dave Smith's last version of the "Disney A-Z" Disney Encyclopedia that he published (2015 or '16) before he died; and while it is a wonderful treasure trove of Disney history (with a bunch of pictures throughout, as well as great detail on most items), in some ways it makes me sad that so much of this history that used to be on display throughout the company -- especially on the Disney Channel, but sometimes on other shows and re-releases -- is just no longer out there to find. Disney used to so good a balancing the trendy popular things with the other things that might have a narrow audience but have depth or be something for the curious.

I think that Disney+ could be that again, if most of the curious older or less popular things get on it. I still think that the Disney Channel was best when it exposed the audience to a wide variety of old and new Disney, including the curious older material. It often found an new audience.

I hope Disney+ does that same.

I personally would like to see the old ('50s) MMC, some of the Westerns ("Old Yeller" especially); the '60s and '70s live action films, like "Candleshoe"; classic color cartoon shorts; and Wonderful World of Disney TV-movies.
I love when TCM does its Treasures from the Disney Vault. It plays the classics, but also less well known movies I had never seen. It would be great if Disney+ did something similar.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

This article leaves out an important datum: Iger has said on several occasions that there will be discount pricing for bundling Hulu, D+, and ESPN+. So to surmise that a D+ add-on to Hulu would cost the same as a standalone D+ subscription plus an additional 'add-on fee' is pretty unlikely.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This article leaves out an important datum: Iger has said on several occasions that there will be discount pricing for bundling Hulu, D+, and ESPN+. So to surmise that a D+ add-on to Hulu would cost the same as a standalone D+ subscription plus an additional 'add-on fee' is pretty unlikely.
Exactly, while Slash is usually pretty good at sourcing their information, they didn't do their homework on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom