Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

BrianLo

This is/was an incredibly smart get for the service. Musicals and broadway are the type of side-adjacent overlap that does not betray the core demographics of the service, but also brings in more viewers. People who like Hamilton, probably like Disney musicals.

I also like that it is rather boundary pushing adult content for the service. Since Hamilton was fair game, frankly most of broadway is malleable. Of course this was by far the most expensive thing to acquire, but plenty of cast recordings can be had for the cheap from more middle tier shows.

The big question is - does a cast recording of the Frozen show exist? I assume so. Since it's ended on broadway - it seems a natural follow up.

Tony Perkis

This is/was an incredibly smart get for the service. Musicals and broadway are the type of side-adjacent overlap that does not betray the core demographics of the service, but also brings in more viewers. People who like Hamilton, probably like Disney musicals.

I also like that it is rather boundary pushing adult content for the service. Since Hamilton was fair game, frankly most of broadway is malleable. Of course this was by far the most expensive thing to acquire, but plenty of cast recordings can be had for the cheap from more middle tier shows.

The big question is - does a cast recording of the Frozen show exist? I assume so. Since it's ended on broadway - it seems a natural follow up.
I don’t believe Frozen is that big a get.

PiratesMansion

I don’t believe Frozen is that big a get.

Not compared to Hamilton by a long shot, BUT given the success of Hamilton and their own catalog of Broadway Musicals, it would seem logical if they were to release filmed productions of those on the service, given Hamilton's success, if they exist.

Frozen, with its recent closure on Broadway and enduring popularity, would seem a particularly logical next step, if a professional recording of the entire show exists.

Tony Perkis

Not compared to Hamilton by a long shot, BUT given the success of Hamilton and their own catalog of Broadway Musicals, it would seem logical if they were to release filmed productions of those on the service, given Hamilton's success, if they exist.

Frozen, with its recent closure on Broadway and enduring popularity, would seem a particularly logical next step, if a professional recording of the entire show exists.
Agreed, it’s an easy get that will drive viewership. I don’t like the show very much, but I think The Lion King is a much bigger deal.

The shows that will actually influence subscriptions? The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, Once, Newsies (if it were not already a thing), Phantom and Les Mis (if not already available on Broadway HD).

PiratesMansion

Agreed, it’s an easy get that will drive viewership. I don’t like the show very much, but I think The Lion King is a much bigger deal.

The shows that will actually influence subscriptions? The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, Once, Newsies (if it were not already a thing), Phantom and Les Mis (if not already available on Broadway HD).
Yes, as you said, Newsies is already on D+.

Lion King would be a huge deal, but since that's their cash cow and its still running I wonder if they would be more hesitant to export that to D+, especially since some people might perceive that they "just added" another Lion King thing already.

But Tarzan? Aida? Some of those other shows that haven't been seen or heard about in quite some time would be no brainers if they have them filmed and just sitting in the vault.

I think Phantom and Les Mis are both available on Broadway HD. Both have great productions and/or concert films readily available (and while I'm here, regardless of the improved staging of the later version, Les Mis 10th Anniversary is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Les Mis 25th Anniversary), but I don't know if they'd really be buzzy since all of these filmed productions have been available for some time. Is Once still a big deal? I feel like most people have kind of forgotten about it at this point.

If they want some buzz from outside of their own stable, while nothing could compete with Hamilton, they're probably best off with something like Hadestown, Six, or especially Beetlejuice, given all the drama about that show's closing.

Book of Mormon might end up on Hulu, but no way will it ever land on D+.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Doesn't matter if they're a cast recording of these staged musicals, it matters if there's a video recording... and one done well. (I may be a bit too pedantic here, but "cast recording" refers to the audio only.)

The Hamilton folks used their profits to create a professional video of the original cast to be released at some time later (they were in no rush until now).

Videos of staged musicals can be done really well, like Hamilton was (props to the editors). They obviously recorded a lot of scenes with no audience to get a lot of up-close shots.

Other videos of staged musicals are not so good with a bunch of fixed cameras recording one show from start to finish with most of the time you think you're in the balcony. If the show's good, it's not too bad. But if you're expecting the kind of experience you get from watching a movie (which Hamilton was able to do), then those videos can be not so engaging.

Now, how many of the staged musical productions that we'd like to see have had the foresight to make a recording?

BrianLo

Now, how many of the staged musical productions that we'd like to see have had the foresight to make a recording?

Now the question is did they actually record the whole show when they made this... But the trailer is at least shot in Hamilton fashion.

The other option is Disney simply forking out some money to record some of these things - since the venues are kind of pointlessly sitting unused for probably the rest of the year.

Animaniac93-98

Frozen may have ended on Broadway, but it's still on tour and other productions (like in Australia) are still slated to happen, so I don't think they'd put it on just yet.

NateD1226

1594223187257.png

Mouse Trap

Most if not all Broadway shows are recorded in their entirety. Many don't have the production value of Hamilton's recording though. You can find a large collection of recorded shows at the New York Public Library.

Tony Perkis

Most if not all Broadway shows are recorded in their entirety. Many don't have the production value of Hamilton's recording though. You can find a large collection of recorded shows at the New York Public Library.
It would utterly shock me if the bigger, award winning shows didn’t have a professionally produced recording(s), if not just to capture the performances that helped it achieve its successes.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

That depends if Disney or Sony owns it.

Broadway rights:

5.d. Live Stage Rights. The right to present dramatic or musical plays including, but not
limited to, Broadway-style productions in the immediate presence of a live audience. No live stage
show (or any derivative work based thereon) may be exploited, recorded, transmitted or broadcast
during the Production Term by means of film, television or any other process or device which
permits the live stage show to be viewed outside of the physical presence of the actors, except that
after the expiration of the Picture Production Term such programs, if more than 78 minutes in
running time, may be exploited by means of direct to home-video, direct to pay-per-view, video-on-
demand, or internet delivery (or comparable delivery systems) after compliance with SPE’s Right of
First Refusal under Section 33.b. Until the end of the Picture Production Term, (i) Marvel will give
SPE the opportunity to give its input on all creative aspects of each Broadway-style live stage
production as to which Marvel has either approval or consultation rights provided that SPE agrees to
be bound, to the same extent as Marvel, by all applicable confidentiality provisions of any license
agreement relating to such Broadway-style live stage production, (ii) Marvel will use commercially
reasonable efforts to give to SPE, or cause the producers of each Broadway-style live stage
production that Marvel intends to produce or authorize any third party to produce to give to SPE,
the opportunity to invest in such production on such terms and conditions as may be mutually
agreed upon by the parties, and (iii) if SPE is investing in any Broadway-style live stage production,
no major motion picture studio (other than SPE and The Walt Disney Company and/or any of its
Affiliates) shall be permitted to produce or invest in such Broadway-style live stage production. For
the avoidance of doubt, Miramax will be deemed to be a “Major Studio” for purposes of this
Section 5.d(iii). As used herein, “Broadway-style“ live stage rights means the right to produce or
authorize live stage productions having a running time of more than one hour and either presented
in theater(s) having at least 350 seats or presented in (or based on a production presented in) a
“Broadway“ or “Off-Broadway“ theater in New York City (as such terms are commonly understood
in the business).

Yes, as you said, Newsies is already on D+.

Lion King would be a huge deal, but since that's their cash cow and its still running I wonder if they would be more hesitant to export that to D+, especially since some people might perceive that they "just added" another Lion King thing already.

But Tarzan? Aida? Some of those other shows that haven't been seen or heard about in quite some time would be no brainers if they have them filmed and just sitting in the vault.

I think Phantom and Les Mis are both available on Broadway HD. Both have great productions and/or concert films readily available (and while I'm here, regardless of the improved staging of the later version, Les Mis 10th Anniversary is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Les Mis 25th Anniversary), but I don't know if they'd really be buzzy since all of these filmed productions have been available for some time. Is Once still a big deal? I feel like most people have kind of forgotten about it at this point.

If they want some buzz from outside of their own stable, while nothing could compete with Hamilton, they're probably best off with something like Hadestown, Six, or especially Beetlejuice, given all the drama about that show's closing.

Book of Mormon might end up on Hulu, but no way will it ever land on D+.

Sighs Well they put Hamilton the Live Musical on Disney+ so why can't they do the Same for the Lion King Broadway?

PiratesMansion

Sighs Well they put Hamilton the Live Musical on Disney+ so why can't they do the Same for the Lion King Broadway?

They could. They could even still film it once it reopens if they haven't already (but as I'll explain below, I am increasingly convinced that they have not filmed any of their productions other than Newsies in their entirety).

Lion King is the one show that's been a bonanza for them, and I see that being the very LAST of their own shows they put on the service for that reason. If indeed they are actually considering doing that at all.

I just read that Newsies was only filmed in 2017, after both the Broadway production and National Tour had closed. If that is accurate, it would confirm that it indeed is not standard issue for Disney or anyone else to record their productions professionally, something that would seem to make sense after the reported expense of doing it for Hamilton. And Hamilton, filmed at the peak of its popularity, was filmed because they knew that there would be a market to see the show in the future with the original cast that justified the expense. They knew it was profitable to film. Judging by the scarcity of filmed performances that have been made available to the public, although it does seem to be slightly increasing in frequency, it would seem fair to assume that many people involved don't believe there's enough of a market for a filmed performance of a musical.

If all of the previous paragraph is correct, then the productions of Lion King, Aladdin, and Frozen (still touring even if it's closed on Broadway) are the only Disney theatrical shows that could ever see the light of day, as they are the only ones that will still be running in some capacity and thus be practical to film (I don't imagine Disney would feel it could justify renting out a theater, hiring actors, rehearsing for x amount of time with everyone, and reconstructing sets/props/scenery just so they can say they have a filmed performance available of a show like Tarzan that only lasted about a year anyway). But even then, filming their musicals that haven't closed yet would have to wait until Covid is over, and given their finances at the moment, that's probably unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They could. They could even still film it once it reopens if they haven't already (but as I'll explain below, I am increasingly convinced that they have not filmed any of their productions other than Newsies in their entirety).

Lion King is the one show that's been a bonanza for them, and I see that being the very LAST of their own shows they put on the service for that reason. If indeed they are actually considering doing that at all.

I just read that Newsies was only filmed in 2017, after both the Broadway production and National Tour had closed. If that is accurate, it would confirm that it indeed is not standard issue for Disney or anyone else to record their productions professionally, something that would seem to make sense after the reported expense of doing it for Hamilton. And Hamilton, filmed at the peak of its popularity, was filmed because they knew that there would be a market to see the show in the future with the original cast that justified the expense. They knew it was profitable to film. Judging by the scarcity of filmed performances that have been made available to the public, although it does seem to be slightly increasing in frequency, it would seem fair to assume that many people involved don't believe there's enough of a market for a filmed performance of a musical.

If all of the previous paragraph is correct, then the productions of Lion King, Aladdin, and Frozen (still touring even if it's closed on Broadway) are the only Disney theatrical shows that could ever see the light of day, as they are the only ones that will still be running in some capacity and thus be practical to film (I don't imagine Disney would feel it could justify renting out a theater, hiring actors, rehearsing for x amount of time with everyone, and reconstructing sets/props/scenery just so they can say they have a filmed performance available of a show like Tarzan that only lasted about a year anyway). But even then, filming their musicals that haven't closed yet would have to wait until Covid is over, and given their finances at the moment, that's probably unlikely for the foreseeable future.
Something tells me Disney has filmed at lot of their popular musicals...

I know this is just a trailer for the West End show, but its edited from a whole filmed production. So its out there somewhere, they just have to release it. The same with the above posted Frozen trailer.

PiratesMansion

Something tells me Disney has filmed at lot of their popular musicals...

I know this is just a trailer for the West End show, but its edited from a whole filmed production. So its out there somewhere, they just have to release it. The same with the above posted Frozen trailer.

But is there any proof that they did so beyond the trailers?

Shows film clips of high impact moments for publicity all the time, but doesn't necessarily mean they did the entire thing. They might have just filmed, say, "Circle of Life" or "Let it Go" and left the rest of the show alone. If all you're doing is publicity, you don't need the whole show for that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But is there any proof that they did so beyond the trailers?

Shows film clips of high impact moments for publicity all the time, but doesn't necessarily mean they did the entire thing. They might have just filmed, say, "Circle of Life" or "Let it Go" and left the rest of the show alone. If all you're doing is publicity, you don't need the whole show for that.
Lack of a film isn’t proof that one doesn’t exist.

Hamilton was filmed in 2015, long before there were reports of a film existing. So just because there is no report of a Lion King or Frozen Musical film doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. Chances are they do, chances are that Disney is just waiting to milk every last dollar out of the tours before releasing the film in order to milk even more money out of it. It’s the Disney way.

Also add to that broadway musicals film their productions all the time. So not hard to believe Disney didn’t do that same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom