Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

seascape

Let's look at Disney Plus and it's real bottom line. Netflix was paying Disney approximately $300 million a year. Let's also assume their would have been a big increase to $600 million if they didn't remove their content. In order to understand, how that compares to Disney Plus revenue, $600 million is $50 million a month. However, Disney Plus has 28.6 million customers paying an average of $5.50 a month or $157.3 million a month. Now. there are also costs for the new Disney Plus shows, which Disney said would be about 1 billion the first year. a number I think will be higher. Using a number of $2 billion brings the monthly expenses up to $166.7 million a month or $217 million a month in total programming costs. Add in $33 million a month to cover the costs with running the the service and the total needed to break even is $250 million a month. so Disney only needs anoth $92.7 million a month to become profitable.

The thing to remember though is that even if Disney Plus breaks even, the company makes more money that they would have without it. Disney will make a profit on the production of the shows and movies made directly for Disney Plus. The Studios are also making more from Disney Plus, my estimate of 600 million less 300 million they were receiving from Netflix is 300 million more. So. when will Disney Plus be profitable? My guess is September.

How do I arrive at the estimate. I start with the fact that Disney Plus added 2 million customers in January and a few days of February. If Disney addds 4 million more in North America between early February and the end of September, that adds $22 million a month and brings the deficit to $70.7 million a month. Now, how many customers does Disney have to add abroad to reach the $70.7 million figure. First, Europe will be priced similar to the US, so between March 24 and the end of September, I think a realistically conservative number if 10 million of $55 million a month. That leaves another $15.7 million a month, which I think will come from India and elsewhere.

The bottom line to me is fairly clear. Disney Plus is a great addition to the company and will not only be profitable in the long term, it will only take the 1 calander year to reach profitability but it will be adding to the bottom line sooner than that.

Darkprime

Finally tried the xbox one app. Its so much better than the ps4 app idk why tho on the surface they look the same maybe Its something under the hood that's not clicking with the ps4 os. Either way I will be using the app on my xbox going forward.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't care about the lack of original content right now, but this could get me to unsubscribe.

Cool share, bro.

1581707112623.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I know people get serious about saying they are unsubscribing for stupid reasons (guess I should have added a laughing face or something). For the record, I was just joking about it, I'm not unsubscribing for adding content, no matter how bad it sounds.

Whew. I thought you were succumbing to your sneaker phobia!!

;)

Darkprime

They keep posting on the NZ Disney+ FB page that lion king is streaming but it's not lol how funny would it be if they just forgot to upload it to Disney+ NZ.

Darkprime

Apparently The Mandalorian will be weekly in the UK. Bit mean making the UK wait when theyve already waited 3 months. It had its first run why not just let UK binge it? Spoilers are out there people have been spoiled if they were that desperate enough to it see it already chances are they have.

Mrs. Kaz

In the Parks
No
So they have to pay for it rather than watch it all in a one week free trial.
BINGO!!!! You hit it right there. Many people sign up for the soul purpose to watch The Mandalorian and if they can binge watch it in a weeks time for free and then unsubscribe that is what they will do. Disney has all the bases covered.

mikejs78

Premium Member

(full source)
I know not everyone here probably had read these books, but I grew up with them so it's certainly exciting to see a long rumored adaptation actually be realized. I'm just wondering how the black and white style of the book's drawings will be adapted in a full animated movie.

My 9 yr old son just started reading these, so this will be very timely..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom