Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Stripes

Honestly the only reason I can think that is the case is based on content. The app is nowhere near as smooth as Netflix. Though most shocking to me is 64% give Hulu high marks. Good lord that is far and away the WORST service (again, content aside).
The one thing Disney has been missing is an adult oriented premium TV offering along the lines of HBO or some high quality adult series from Netflix. With FX, whose original content is certainly within HBO's realm (with the exception of GOT), combined with Hulu, they could and IMO should step it up in that area to round out their streaming offerings. $12.99 for Disney+, Hulu with premium adult content, and ESPN+ would be a freaking killer. I know with FX on Hulu they're going in exactly this direction, but I hope they go big.

seascape

The one thing Disney has been missing is an adult oriented premium TV offering along the lines of HBO or some high quality adult series from Netflix. With FX, whose original content is certainly within HBO's realm (with the exception of GOT), combined with Hulu, they could and IMO should step it up in that area to round out their streaming offerings. $12.99 for Disney+, Hulu with premium adult content, and ESPN+ would be a freaking killer. I know with FX on Hulu they're going in exactly this direction, but I hope they go big.
You can count on FX on Hulu being well advertised and that Disney is going to make Hulu a killer service. Disney did not pay 45 to 50 billion for the Fox assets they own for just movies they can show on Disney Plus. They have huge plans for Hotstar too, which will be expanded in Asia, outside of India, in a few months. On CNBC yesterday the talking heads were talking about the future of streaming including bundling of services, in otherwords just what Disney is doing with Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN+. The thing is Disney should add is a Hulu with Live TV and Hotstar price. I would pay $65 a month for the full package. $54 for Hulu with live TV, $10.00 for Disney Plus and ESPN Plus with Hotstar for free with the bundle.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, Disney owns Hulu. And Hulu is partnering with Dreamworks Animation for Madagascar and Trolls series to appear on Hulu. And Dreamworks Animation is now owned by NBCUniversal which backed out of Hulu, is starting their own streamer (Peacock), and is using these IP in the Universal Parks.

Ok.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve enjoyed the first few months of +...now that the newness will fade, they need to step up, spend the money and make a lot of new content before the demand starts to fall...

I bought cbs all access last night...which doesn’t have a lot.

But they have a FANTASTIC new iconic sci-fi show that is concentrated on expanding a known character...Disney could learn from this

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

FX on Hulu...

Stripes

I’ve enjoyed the first few months of +...now that the newness will fade, they need to step up, spend the money and make a lot of new content before the demand starts to fall...

But they have a FANTASTIC new iconic sci-fi show that is concentrated on expanding a known character...Disney could learn from this
We're definitely in a slump of new content right now. Later on in the year there will be more new content. Unlike Netflix which has taken an all-inclusive approach to original content (and currently spending more than twice as much as Disney is spending in FY2020) Disney seems to have gone the HBO route of staggered releases for expensive content, and most of that expensive content is coming later in the year.

I don't really have a preference overall for one or the other, but at Disney's current spending and calendar releases, the period we're in now kinda sucks. What do we have? Diary of a Future President. Sorry Disney, I'm just not your target demographic for that show.

Last edited:

sedati

mikejs78

Premium Member

Well, Clone Wars season 7 is dropping in a couple of weeks, is run by Dave Filoni, and looks great. So that's another 12 weeks that they'll have me.. We will keep it anyways because our boys are currently watching those classic late 80s/early 90s cartoons (DuckTails, Gummy Bears, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc), and there is a decent amount of new content from Marvel later in the year, plus season 2 of the Mandalorian.

I'm with you on CBS. My wife and I plan to watch the pilot of the above-mentioned new iconic Sci-show tonight and are very excited...

Right now, we have: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Prime, YouTube TV, and CBS. I'm probably cancelling YouTube TV at this point - we hardly watch anything on network/cable TV anymore. Prime we will keep because of free shipping (just finished Jack Ryan Season 2 - which was great).. Disney+/Hulu we will keep, because of a couple of network shows we do watch, and Disney+ is great. So the question is what to do about Netflix/CBS. And I'm honestly thinking of only subscribing to each of them when there's a show I want to watch. Right now, that's Picard on CBS, so I may cancel Netflix for a few months (although we did just watch the Crown... )
We will see.

But honestly, I just love the streaming era. So much content available and when we want it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom