Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

erasure fan1

I know I am not alone as an ex-Netflix customer. I will sign up for the Peacock Network before I ever consider rejoining Netflix.
You aren't alone. I will be done with Netflix at the end of next month. My daughter is finishing up some anime series and once the witcher drops, I'll binge it then drop it. The last price increase a month or 2 ago made my mind up. It's way to expensive for the content they have and I only see it getting worse as more people pull their own content.

Tony Perkis

You are counting content they have on their system today but that they do not own. All the WB, Universal, Disney. Marvel, Pixar and tons of old TV shows will be taken off in the not to distant future.

Disney and Hulu will get the thousands of shows that all their Divisions made, including those made with the Fox Latin American networks, Hotstar and others. How much of the library on Netflix is actually owned by Netflix? How much of it is actually wated as a percentage of the total Netflix viewing? Netflix has a lot of potential problems that most people are not looking at. That does not mean Disney can't mess it all up even though their library blows Netflix out of the water. It is not just Disney and Disney Plus. It is so much more. I know I am not alone as an ex-Netflix customer. I will sign up for the Peacock Network before I ever consider rejoining Netflix.
I continually forget that you are one of the seven people in this world in favor of a Disney media monopoly.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So Mom (who is only 40 years old herself ) and I a 16 year old teen started watching the Mickey Mouse Club Season One from 1955 which was before both of use were born. I think it is so awesome. I mean even some of the styles of clothes the kids are wearing are even somewhat like we are wearing now. It is crazy. I like watching those crazy dances they do as well. I can't wait to get some more of my home schooling done and watch more of them. Disney+ is so freaking cool.

I am really enjoying The Mickey Mouse Club too. I hope they add more episodes soon.

seascape

I continually forget that you are one of the seven people in this world in favor of a Disney media monopoly.
I wish you would go back and read all my posts against the Disney Fox merger. I kept saying it was putting too much of the movie box office to Disney. I was also against allowing Comcast to buy them. On the otherhand, I favored Disney over Comcast as a Disney Stockholder. It is as a stockholder thar I love what is going on. I see Disney becoming a much larger worldwide company. I see the media assests in Latin America and Asia leading to new themeparks and very large over the top live bundles and streaming services. I see Disney stock more than doubling from todays 145 to 150 range to over 300 in 2023. The potential The Walt Disney Company has with its worldwide scale is unbelievable. They will not be a monopoly but all one has to look at is India to see so much potential growth in both streaming and themeparks. And if we can ever reach a real deal with China......

Tony Perkis

I wish you would go back and read all my posts against the Disney Fox merger. I kept saying it was putting too much of the movie box office to Disney. I was also against allowing Comcast to buy them. On the otherhand, I favored Disney over Comcast as a Disney Stockholder. It is as a stockholder thar I love what is going on. I see Disney becoming a much larger worldwide company. I see the media assests in Latin America and Asia leading to new themeparks and very large over the top live bundles and streaming services. I see Disney stock more than doubling from todays 145 to 150 range to over 300 in 2023. The potential The Walt Disney Company has with its worldwide scale is unbelievable. They will not be a monopoly but all one has to look at is India to see so much potential growth in both streaming and themeparks. And if we can ever reach a real deal with China......
I disregarded much of your post because it was a misinterpretation of my initial comment.

I made a comment strictly about Disney+ and Netflix’s television offerings, not including Hulu. Disney+‘S television offerings, in its current state, are abysmal at best, and Netflix has an absolute clear advantage over them in this regard.

Additionally, this post reaffirms that you’re all in on Disney being a media monopoly, or at least right up to the barrier to becoming one. It’s bad for consumers worldwide.

seascape

I disregarded much of your post because it was a misinterpretation of my initial comment.

I made a comment strictly about Disney+ and Netflix’s television offerings, not including Hulu. Disney+‘a television offerings, in its current state, are abysmal at best, and Netflix has an absolute clear advantage over them in this regard.
You ignored the fact that my post was concerning both Disney Plus and Hulu. Disney is not putting all its eggs in one basket. They actually have 4, 5 if you count Hulu and Hulu with live TV separately.

Now, comparing Disney Plus alone and Netflix, Disney Plus will be the more profitable of the two. Netflix claims to be profitable but is still burning billions of cash every year. Disney Plus will be profitable and cash flow positive in 2022, Netflix at best will be cashflow neutral by then. As for content, Disney Plus is more limited as its directed towards families. but it costs half of what Netflix does. I gave up on Netflix because they gave up the content I liked, the Marvel shows. They can't even make ip for it because the future home of DC is HBO. Again, Netflix is losing content and their most watched shows. They have problems and the so called experts can't see it. They still say no one will drop Netflix, but I did and so have others. In the end, you can believe it is just Netflix versus Disney Plus but in the real world. it is Netflix versus all the Disney Streaming options and worldwide Disney will be number 1. I even think Comcast will be number 2 because of NBC/Universal and Sky. Netflix and AT&T will fight for third.

Magenta Panther

So I read that Disney+ is showing "controversial" movies like Dumbo in their entirety, with a disclaimer at the beginning for all the butthurts out there. Well, DAMN, Disney, congrats! A sensible solution, as opposed to the usual frantic "we will obey your every whim, O PC SJW overlords!"

(Which happens all too frequently today. During Halloween, some store had to pull all of its black pumpkins because some twerps found them offensive because of...blackface. This while Governor Ralph "Coonman" Northam is still in power in Virginia, and increased his Dem majority during the last special election. Hypocrisy much?)

What's cool is that kids who are exposed to the wokeness in the new Lady and the Tramp abomination will also have a chance to experience the beauty, emotion and wit of the original animated version, uncut. AND to see the Crows in Dumbo, uncut, and appreciate that they were the only creatures in the film, aside from Timothy Mouse, to feel sorry for and try to help Dumbo. So kudos to Disney+ for doing the semi-right thing for a change. Doesn't excuse idiocies like making Jock a girl for some damn reason, but at least the proposed butchery of Disney animated classics was averted...for now. (Although I don't get the disclaimer being placed in front of the original Jungle Book. What for??? I don't get it. Can someone explain that to me?)

CJR

I don't dislike Netflix by any means, I root for their success actually, but they do need to boost their content with shows and programs that people will actually watch in mass. Netflix can have 10,000 shows and Disney can have only five shows, but you can spend more time watching Disney's five than Netflix's 10,000. The Nickelodeon partnership will be good, but Netflix really needs to buy or merge with a studio, like Paramount or Sony, to be viable.

brb1006

I don't dislike Netflix by any means, I root for their success actually, but they do need to boost their content with shows and programs that people will actually watch in mass. Netflix can have 10,000 shows and Disney can have only five shows, but you can spend more time watching Disney's five than Netflix's 10,000. The Nickelodeon partnership will be good, but Netflix really needs to buy or merge with a studio, like Paramount or Sony, to be viable.
Maybe Disney could hopefully revive the "animated series" idea for their other films exclusively for Disney+. I remember in the between the 80s and especially the 90s, they had animated shows for Winnie The Pooh, Aladdin, Timon & Pumba, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, and 101 Dalmatians. This lasted until the mid 2000's with Lilo and Stitch: the series and a continuation of Emperor's New Groove with "Emperor's New School". Sure we currently have Tangled: the animated series and recently 101 Dalmatians Street. But maybe Disney could finally revisit this ideas as a "Disney+" original series and maybe revive some cancelled ones such as "The Aristocats: the animated series".

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I don’t believe this to be true.

Now, if the shows that appeal to you are skewed toward younger demographics and comic book fans, yes, Netflix isn’t the best solution, but they (and HBO) are the pinnacle for adult oriented content. They’ve actually got a significant number of highly rated and highly watched shows and films, and are continually an awards producer at both the Emmys and Oscars (which will continue this year with The Irishman).

To me, having stuff like DuckTales streaming is nice and all, but give me significantly higher quality offerings like Stranger Things, The Crown, Bojack Horseman, and Peaky Blinders.

Tony Perkis

Maybe Disney could hopefully revive the "animated series" idea for their other films. I remember in the between the 80s and especially the 90s, they had animated shows for Winnie The Pooh, Aladdin, Timon & Pumba, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, and 101 Dalmatians. This lasted until the mid 2000's with Lilo and Stitch: the series and a continuation of Emperor's New Groove with "Emperor's New School". Sure we currently have Tangled: the animated series and recently 101 Dalmatians Street. But maybe Disney could finally revisit this ideas as a "Disney+" original series and maybe revive some cancelled ones such as "The Aristocats: the animated series".
Or they can create original content.

CJR

To me, having stuff like DuckTales streaming is nice and all, but give me significantly higher quality offerings like Stranger Things, The Crown, Bojack Horseman, and Peaky Blinders.

Quality is subjective to the viewer. However, you're right that Netflix does have these, the issue is for how long will they remain relevant, they're aging. Netflix will still have them in their archive, the difference is that Disney's archive is simply bigger.

Disney will have their "quality" shows too. The MCU shows haven't even started yet.

Tony Perkis

Quality is subjective to the viewer. However, you're right that Netflix does have these, the issue is for how long will they remain relevant, they're aging. Netflix will still have them in their archive, the difference is that Disney's archive is simply bigger.

Disney will have their "quality" shows too. The MCU shows haven't even started yet.
Even with the Marvel shows, the quantity of their TV offerings will still be less than that of Netflix, and its focus is going to be much more narrow as well.

Tony Perkis

You ignored the fact that my post was concerning both Disney Plus and Hulu. Disney is not putting all its eggs in one basket. They actually have 4, 5 if you count Hulu and Hulu with live TV separately.

Now, comparing Disney Plus alone and Netflix, Disney Plus will be the more profitable of the two. Netflix claims to be profitable but is still burning billions of cash every year. Disney Plus will be profitable and cash flow positive in 2022, Netflix at best will be cashflow neutral by then. As for content, Disney Plus is more limited as its directed towards families. but it costs half of what Netflix does. I gave up on Netflix because they gave up the content I liked, the Marvel shows. They can't even make ip for it because the future home of DC is HBO. Again, Netflix is losing content and their most watched shows. They have problems and the so called experts can't see it. They still say no one will drop Netflix, but I did and so have others. In the end, you can believe it is just Netflix versus Disney Plus but in the real world. it is Netflix versus all the Disney Streaming options and worldwide Disney will be number 1. I even think Comcast will be number 2 because of NBC/Universal and Sky. Netflix and AT&T will fight for third.
This is ridiculous, and reads like PR and/or wishful thinking.

A6C4ACAC-C879-4AAE-9A30-A92CC8F6425E.jpeg

CJR

Even with the Marvel shows, the quantity of their TV offerings will still be less than that of Netflix, and its focus is going to be much more narrow as well.

Quality is subjective. Not to mention, quality doesn't guarantee "success". There's the quality of a select few shows, and then the whole experience. Four or five good quality shows isn't going to keep people paying $20 a month to Netflix. They could just buy the sets and get Disney+.

seascape

This is ridiculous, and reads like PR and/or wishful thinking.

View attachment 425633
I love that story. It says Disney plus will only have 1 million customers this year and only get to 25 milliom subscribers by the end of 2024. They hit that number on the mark didn't they. I know that Disney Plus will not sign up 5 million people a day, but they are substantially over 10 million customers in just over 72 hours and will likely pass 15 million soon. So do you really want to use that article as the basis?

Disney used an extremely conservative estimate to make sure they would crush it. I and others have said that when Disney announced that insanely low number. I will stick with my conservative 90 million worldwide number by the end of 2021. I know they will beat it but I am also conservative in my estimates but more realistic that Disney's original estimates.

Animaniac93-98

So Mom (who is only 40 years old herself ) and I a 16 year old teen started watching the Mickey Mouse Club Season One from 1955 which was before both of use were born. I think it is so awesome. I mean even some of the styles of clothes the kids are wearing are even somewhat like we are wearing now. It is crazy. I like watching those crazy dances they do as well. I can't wait to get some more of my home schooling done and watch more of them. Disney+ is so freaking cool.

I don't see the original Mickey Mouse Club anywhere on Disney+. Is this another US-only thing?

Tony Perkis

I love that story. It says Disney plus will only have 1 million customers this year and only get to 25 milliom subscribers by the end of 2024. They hit that number on the mark didn't they. I know that Disney Plus will not sign up 5 million people a day, but they are substantially over 10 million customers in just over 72 hours and will likely pass 15 million soon. So do you really want to use that article as the basis?

Again, there’s a lot of ridiculousness and misinformation is this pile. I’ll unpack this one-by-one.

Firstly, the article was published on October 17, 2019, so their Disney+ projections for this year are largely irrelevant. They put the number in there as a placeholder, which should have been exceedingly obvious. Disney didn’t start providing estimates until just before November, so it would have been irresponsible analysis if they did put in a realistic number in mid October.

Secondly, you largely missed the point of why I provided that link in the first place. I didn’t share it to downplay Disney+ success; I did it to dispel your crazy notion that Disney+ will not only topple Netflix, but maybe even shoot it down to third place in the streaming wars. No reasonable projection believes that will happen at all. Only the overly confident and somewhat blinded Disney stakeholders.

Finally, yes, I will continue to use that article as a basis because Statista is a reliable resource, and you negating it because the website, wisely, used a conservative placeholder number instead of a higher total based on then incomplete projection estimates is very disingenuous.

Disney used an extremely conservative estimate to make sure they would crush it. I and others have said that when Disney announced that insanely low number. I will stick with my conservative 90 million worldwide number by the end of 2021. I know they will beat it but I am also conservative in my estimates but more realistic that Disney's original estimates.

Your estimate isn’t conservative at all. It‘s as aggressive as it can possibly be.

Longer term, Disney has projected that Disney Plus will have 60 million-90 million subscribers worldwide by 2024, with one-third of those in the U.S. The company has told Wall Street it expects to spend a little over $1 billion on original content for Disney Plus in its fiscal year 2020, ramping up to the $2.5 billion range by 2024.

Your “conservative“ projection has Disney+ beating Disney’s own internal projections by three years. Your analysis is way off.

And to take my post full circle, and bring this back to my initial point of dispelling the Netflix will fall. Netflix current has about 160 million estimated subscribers, and are expected to hold the lead with over 200 million in 5 years.

Per the outlet, Disney hopes to accrue 160 million subscribers between Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ over the next five years.

In short, Netflix isn't Falling to Disney anytime soon, let alone third place.

Your analysis reads like cheerleading, not actually based on reasonable measurable statistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom