Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

tcool123

Any guesses as to if the older Muppet content will be on the service? With all the movies, shows, and specials made with them you would imagine that may have been featured given their sheer amount of content.

Indy_UK

Two more questions :)

1. Have they explicitly said that movies and shows won’t be removed from the service. Where they own all this content I doubt that would happen as there’s no licensing but be good to re assured. I have over 100 Disney movies on Blu-ray and as they come to Disney+, I want to see about selling them on.

2. So new movies will only go to Disney+ AFTER they have been released on DVD and Blu-ray or at the same time? If it is after, do we know how long the gap is?

bartholomr4

Two more questions :)

1. Have they explicitly said that movies and shows won’t be removed from the service. Where they own all this content I doubt that would happen as there’s no licensing but be good to re assured. I have over 100 Disney movies on Blu-ray and as they come to Disney+, I want to see about selling them on.

2. So new movies will only go to Disney+ AFTER they have been released on DVD and Blu-ray or at the same time? If it is after, do we know how long the gap is?

I watched the Investor day presentation and didn't hear them say, nor have I seen anything written, as to how long Disney will leave them available to be seen on Disney+ or if they will "place them back in the vault" from time to time. The time available on Disney+ remains to be seen.

Disney did say (multiple times) they plan to continue to release movies into theaters and then the pay per view channel, and lastly the digital DVD channels, prior to release them to Disney+. They said they didn't think the timing would change (i.e. as long as the movie is making money in the theaters, in pay-per-view and on the shelf at Target, they aren't likely to dampen that revenue by releasing it on Disney+).

erasure fan1

Any guesses as to if the older Muppet content will be on the service? With all the movies, shows, and specials made with them you would imagine that may have been featured given their sheer amount of content.
I doubt Disney will spend the money to get the muppets broadcast rights. Most of what the muppets have done is owend by other companies. Disney wont want to spend any money on the muppets. It's too bad because there is some great muppet content out there. Especially stuff like muppet family Christmas.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

There was mention of a permanent library. No vaulting of D+ titles.

Anders Limpar

I doubt Disney will spend the money to get the muppets broadcast rights. Most of what the muppets have done is owend by other companies. Disney wont want to spend any money on the muppets. It's too bad because there is some great muppet content out there. Especially stuff like muppet family Christmas.

Muppet Family Christmas is incredible. Used to watch that every year on Beta.

SirLink

Why are people assuming that the pictures they showed @ The Investors Day were the only content that would be there Day 1?

bartholomr4

That's good for an international expansion, right?

I take the comments by the Disney Chief of Digital when he said the effort to expand internationally was complex and there are a lot of rules and regulations that the company would have to comply with. 3 examples include China and Japan and BAMtech/Discovery Communications.... Hulu sold Hulu Japan 5 ot 6 years ago, to NEC and doesn’t have rights in that country (Japan) because of the sale, and Over the Top streaming is against the law in China, and BAMtech provides Sports Streaming for Discovery in Europe, which creates some contract issues for Disney now that it owns all of BAMtech. Also there is a huge investment in technology and streaming infrastructure. Even if Comcast bowed out tomorrow, I think it would be quite a journey before they would be able to expand internationally, and would probably happen piecemeal....

It appears the deal with AT&T included some guarantees that Hulu will continue to stream Warner media for an extended period of time.

KeithVH

I haven't been able to find a reference, except the OP here, that lists any other content that will be available. What I'm thinking of is Wonderful World of Color. Will I be able to recreate my Sunday nights from the 50's, 60's, and 70's (yes, I know it was on longer than that)?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I haven't been able to find a reference, except the OP here, that lists any other content that will be available. What I'm thinking of is Wonderful World of Color. Will I be able to recreate my Sunday nights from the 50's, 60's, and 70's (yes, I know it was on longer than that)?

There hasn't been a complete list of all content released just yet. I assume its coming over the next couple of months.

However with that said I would also assume that World of Color will be available, as they mention classic shows will be available.

VJ

There hasn't been a complete list of all content released just yet. I assume its coming over the next couple of months.

However with that said I would also assume that World of Color will be available, as they mention classic shows will be available.
I know that the episodes were restored in HD - Disneyland Around the Seasons is currently available to buy on streaming services in HD, and the first episode of Disneyland was broadcast on TCM in HD - but they haven't done anything with them yet. I hope Disney+ is an opportunity for them to change that (and they'd honestly be stupid not to).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know that the episodes were restored in HD - Disneyland Around the Seasons is currently available to buy on streaming services in HD, and the first episode of Disneyland was broadcast on TCM in HD - but they haven't done anything with them yet. I hope Disney+ is an opportunity for them to change that (and they'd honestly be stupid not to).

Like I said they mentioned classic shows will be available, so I expect the whole Disney Anthology Series will be available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom