Disney's Smurfs reboot (Thanks Sony for stealing it!)

Oscar

Original Poster
After watching The Smurfs 2, I knew that film has giving a bad review. Because Sony is killing off the reputation of The Smurfs.

Then in October 2013, I made my Forum on Rotten Tomatoes:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_smurfs_2/forum/?threadid=328286540

One of the Rotten Tomatoes users say:
"That's most improbable... but don't let that stop it. If Dreamworks is making a CGI movie of Peabody's Improbable History, then Disney CAN reboot The Smurfs. But is anyone working there aware of it?"

But after the Success of Frozen (including winning 2 Oscars), I was thinking of turning Smurfs reboot into an epic musical adventure comedy-drama film, in the same vein as The Lion King, but the story inspired by FernGully: The Last Rainforest, with Kelly Asbury and Roger Allers as the directors, while Veronique Culliford as the executive producer, along with John Lasseter. Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez could write songs for the movie, in a reminiscent style to Les Miserable and The Lion King.

and I think re-using some concepts from Kingdom of the Sun (which is now The Emperor's New Groove)

but in March 2013, I was a little freak out when I heard that Sony Pictures Animation shelve The Smurfs 3 and make a completely-animated Smurfs movie, VERY similar to one that I'm making.
http://filmonic.com/sony-cancels-smurfs-3-reboots-franchise-completely

I think Sony Pictures Animation stole MY idea!!
I get a Completely-Animated Smurfs movie first.

Matt_Black

This is like a fever dream all typed out.

Anyway, if Disney does any rebooting, it should be of series THEY produced. Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers is a good start, but I want to see Gummi Bears, Tex Tinstar, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, and ESPECIALLY Gargoyles.

NMBC1993

This is like a fever dream all typed out.

Anyway, if Disney does any rebooting, it should be of series THEY produced. Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers is a good start, but I want to see Gummi Bears, Tex Tinstar, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, and ESPECIALLY Gargoyles.

Didn't you hear the news? We're getting a Rescue Rangers movie in a few years. The bad news....it might be a CGI/Live Action Movie :( Hopefully they'll take a page out of Sony's book and change their mind before they start production.

Last edited:

NMBC1993

Good News, I found a Facebook for Sony Pictures Animation president, Michelle Raimo Kouyate https://www.facebook.com/mrkouyate

will you send a message that the idea for a fully-animated Smurfs reboot is mine to pitch the idea to Disney and John Lasseter, please.

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm towards your project, you have to realize that Sony owns the rights to make whatever Smurfs property they want as they own the theatrical rights. Even if you pitched this to Disney, they couldn't make a film out of that property the same way they can't bring Spider-Man in to join The Avengers. Finally, as someone who's trying to get their own animated series off the ground, take it from me when I say the minute you have an idea, you better copyright it or someone will take it.

Matt_Black

So, start saving. It'll only cost you...

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars_zps107ab072.png

Well, more probably, but that's a start.

Matt_Black

You know, I've often asked about regarding the feasibility of using crowd-sourcing to raise the capital to cover things like licensing fees and IP rights, and so far from all the response I've gotten it's not something that's going to work.

Tony Perkis

What's with the fascination regarding The Smurfs? It's not a wonderfully engrossing property to begin with.

Also, this is a wholly wasted effort. Don't bother. Sony owns the theatrical rights to The Smurfs, and unless THEY hire you to make the film, there's no way you will legally be able to create and distribute this film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom