Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

GimpYancIent

I think its bold to say no races at all in 2021. Are chances great for Marathon Weekend and Princess? No but I would hope to the ends of the earth that we are still not in this position say come November 2021.
Large open air road race events can happen safely. Currently France is having the 107th Tour De France a 21 stage bicycle race across the country. A massive open air event thousands of people line the roads to experience. Testing for COVID is done regularly for the participants and only four non-athletes (support personnel / administrative) have come up positive. Considering that the day the event started France had well over 7,000 positive test results nationally. That shows large open road athletic events can be conducted safely despite the situation outside of the event. That said, Walt Disney World is a much more insulated and safe environment for race participants than France could ever be or any other country, that is saying something. With some modifications to the race protocols (wear your mask until you cross the start line, socially distance from any characters on course and re-mask when you cross the finish line) just examples, a Disney race could be done quite safely. No one is being packed into an enclosed space, without being screened, for an extended period of time. It is out doors, fresh air with protocols. I believe run Disney can conduct it's 2021 race schedule with no problems.

GimpYancIent

You do not want to wear a mask like that....it will be damp very quickly, given the rate of exhaling during strenuous exercise. You'll want a facemask made out of a fabric less prone to getting damp...and remaining that way, along with a shape that doesn't result in you sucking in the fabric every time you inhale. The Under Armour Sportsman is the highest rated of all the masks geared for exercising. It's not cheap, though. I've got one and it's very comfortable to wear while running.
Yes, on the Under Armor Sportsman I have a couple and train regularly with them. Comfortable and easy to maintain hand wash, air dry.

Rteetz

Large open air road race events can happen safely. Currently France is having the 107th Tour De France a 21 stage bicycle race across the country. A massive open air event thousands of people line the roads to experience. Testing for COVID is done regularly for the participants and only four non-athletes (support personnel / administrative) have come up positive. Considering that the day the event started France had well over 7,000 positive test results nationally. That shows large open road athletic events can be conducted safely despite the situation outside of the event. That said, Walt Disney World is a much more insulated and safe environment for race participants than France could ever be or any other country, that is saying something. With some modifications to the race protocols (wear your mask until you cross the start line, socially distance from any characters on course and re-mask when you cross the finish line) just examples, a Disney race could be done quite safely. No one is being packed into an enclosed space, without being screened, for an extended period of time. It is out doors, fresh air with protocols. I believe run Disney can conduct it's 2021 race schedule with no problems.
Testing won't be done regularly for race events here though. I think that would be huge if they could but they just won't. Costs are far too high and the rapid tests are widely available yet. I think those test kits will be huge for sports.

I definitely expect races to look different when they return at WDW and I think everyone does. I agree with those protocols you mentioned too. Will Disney go forward with attempting such is the big question.

OG Runner

The more the parks are open without incident the better, as well as additional races being run. A 10 miler is being run in New Hampshire next month. They have run some races out West. (mainly trail races) Adjustments are being made. It will also help if a vaccine is produced before the end of the year.

OG Runner

I am lucky, we do not have such a restriction. I do not wear a mask when I run. At the same time, we do not have
many races being run right now.

Figment82

I wanted to mention that Space Coast has a their typical caps for all 3 courses (North/South Course Halfs and Marathon), but they’re allowing anyone to defer to virtual. The virtual participant counts are included in those race caps, so it will be interesting to see how many in-person runners will actually be there, especially if travel restrictions are still in place. I’m assuming it won’t be anywhere near normal levels. I’m still planning to go, and will report back!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I wanted to mention that Space Coast has a their typical caps for all 3 courses (North/South Course Halfs and Marathon), but they’re allowing anyone to defer to virtual. The virtual participant counts are included in those race caps, so it will be interesting to see how many in-person runners will actually be there, especially if travel restrictions are still in place. I’m assuming it won’t be anywhere near normal levels. I’m still planning to go, and will report back!

Space Coast is on my list to run but not this year :(

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I kinda like this one. 🏃‍♀️

If you purchase and use this one, I recommend not inserting a PM2.5 filter while running with it on.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It’s such a fun event! Beautiful course - with the sunrise over the intercoastal. Race is always the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and registration is always February 14th. 😉

Of the 2 Half Marathon routes, which do you prefer? I see you've got 7 hours to finish the South course....

Do you drive down for the race? I see start time is 7AM (yay) but buses from host hotels run at 4AM. Don't want to get up early and then spend at least 2.5 hours waiting to start...

Figment82

Of the 2 Half Marathon routes, which do you prefer? I see you've got 7 hours to finish the South course....

Do you drive down for the race? I see start time is 7AM (yay) but buses from host hotels run at 4AM. Don't want to get up early and then spend at least 2.5 hours waiting to start...
I’ve only done South. They just added North as an option a couple years ago when demand became really high for the half distance. I have a friend who ran the full once (registered too late for the half but still wanted to participate, haha!) and he said the North is a bit hillier (for coastal Florida) and South is more of the “party” side. 😂 The homeowners along the course hand out bloody Mary’s, bacon, shots of tequila - all kinds of things! And they usually have a fun Jimmy Buffer cover band at the turnaround point. With North, you are running in the direction Titusville, so you can see Kennedy in the distance, if you like to stay “in theme”. The North is the first half of the Marathon, and they need to open that part of the course up to traffic earlier, so you are more limited with estimated finish. With the South, you can play the fun game of seeing how far you can get before the Marathon winner passes you. 😂

We always drive over the afternoon before and make a long weekend out of it. If I take the shuttle bus, I do grab the first one just because I’m usually up and paranoid about not getting a spot. Last year, our bus was one of the first to arrive at the staging area, but it honestly is an easy wait. I tend to stroll around the park and downtown area and then head to the start 15 minutes before things get going. There are no corrals/waves - just signs with estimated paces and everyone lines up accordingly (or just kinda shoves their way in). I’m towards the back and it’s maybe 10 minutes until everyone gets going and I cross the start - so much better than Disney! I’ll be curious to see how things are handled this year with the rolling starts and distancing measures in place.

When my husband ran with me, we drove ourselves over, but parking is limited and it can be a little stressful. He is the master at finding a spot when he comes later to watch me finish - it’s become a joke in our family!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I’ve only done South. They just added North as an option a couple years ago when demand became really high for the half distance. I have a friend who ran the full once (registered too late for the half but still wanted to participate, haha!) and he said the North is a bit hillier (for coastal Florida) and South is more of the “party” side. 😂 The homeowners along the course hand out bloody Mary’s, bacon, shots of tequila - all kinds of things! And they usually have a fun Jimmy Buffer cover band at the turnaround point. With North, you are running in the direction Titusville, so you can see Kennedy in the distance, if you like to stay “in theme”. The North is the first half of the Marathon, and they need to open that part of the course up to traffic earlier, so you are more limited with estimated finish. With the South, you can play the fun game of seeing how far you can get before the Marathon winner passes you. 😂

We always drive over the afternoon before and make a long weekend out of it. If I take the shuttle bus, I do grab the first one just because I’m usually up and paranoid about not getting a spot. Last year, our bus was one of the first to arrive at the staging area, but it honestly is an easy wait. I tend to stroll around the park and downtown area and then head to the start 15 minutes before things get going. There are no corrals/waves - just signs with estimated paces and everyone lines up accordingly (or just kinda shoves their way in). I’m towards the back and it’s maybe 10 minutes until everyone gets going and I cross the start - so much better than Disney! I’ll be curious to see how things are handled this year with the rolling starts and distancing measures in place.

When my husband ran with me, we drove ourselves over, but parking is limited and it can be a little stressful. He is the master at finding a spot when he comes later to watch me finish - it’s become a joke in our family!

Sounds like the South is the better route! Bacon & tequila.... 🥰

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom