Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

dreamfinder

Did you share with disney race times from other outside races you have times from?
I'm interested in doing a rundisney challenge or race and can't decide on either the Marathon weekend in Jan. or the Princess weekend in Feb... What do you prefer?

Not sure what you mean. If you do a runDisney race, and want to be in a corral towards the front, then you need to submit proof of time from another race. It's not necessary, but if you don't then you will be in the last corrals. Alternately, you can use your runDisney times for other events as the courses are typically certified. However, unless you are in the first corral or two, you may find it hard to get a PR as there are several parts of the courses that are often heavily congested. And IMHO half the point of doing a runDisney event is to have fun, see characters etc. I can do plenty of local races for way less cost to go for a PR.

The two events have a very different vibe. Princess (I find) tends to attract alot of women who are having a good weekend with their friends/family. I've seen alot more groups of people running together than I do at Marathon weekend. It also overlaps with several vacation weeks, so the parks/resorts tend to be busier. Marathon weekend has the good chance of still seeing some Christmas decorations up. Princess tends to sell out faster than Marathon weekend.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Race courses are the same.

I'd go by theme. Princess is geared towards princesses - lots of tiaras and tutus - with a few princes. Decide soon if you want to run 2020 Princess; registration opens in 2 weeks and the races sell out fast.

Marathon weekend is more serious. The Full is a qualifier for Boston, so it attracts serious runners that weekend. Yes, runners wear costumes, but nothing like Princess or SW.

Once you've registered, make your resort reservation if staying on property. Both are very popular weekends and rooms go fast. I believe both weekends are the largest of the 4 WDW runDisney race weekends.

Here's a link to all the race courses the past few years.

Thank You for the info, very helpful! I'm mostly certain I'm going to do 2020 Princess, as I'm interested in doing the 10k & 1/2 marathon challenge... As I'm serious runner and huge WDW fan, this looks like a fun time! Whats your next race?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Not sure what you mean. If you do a runDisney race, and want to be in a corral towards the front, then you need to submit proof of time from another race. It's not necessary, but if you don't then you will be in the last corrals. Alternately, you can use your runDisney times for other events as the courses are typically certified. However, unless you are in the first corral or two, you may find it hard to get a PR as there are several parts of the courses that are often heavily congested. And IMHO half the point of doing a runDisney event is to have fun, see characters etc. I can do plenty of local races for way less cost to go for a PR.

The two events have a very different vibe. Princess (I find) tends to attract alot of women who are having a good weekend with their friends/family. I've seen alot more groups of people running together than I do at Marathon weekend. It also overlaps with several vacation weeks, so the parks/resorts tend to be busier. Marathon weekend has the good chance of still seeing some Christmas decorations up. Princess tends to sell out faster than Marathon weekend.
Thanks for the helpful info! I love running and I love WDW & Disney so this is something I've been wanting to do for years! Looking to have fun and enjoy a good race. I was asking that runner if they submitted proof of time... they posted they were towards the back in coral D. I'm use to being in corals towards the front and was wondering if they honor the proof times or should I expect to be towards the back corals (1st time rundisney 1/2 marathon).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks for the helpful info! I love running and I love WDW & Disney so this is something I've been wanting to do for years! Looking to have fun and enjoy a good race. I was asking that runner if they submitted proof of time... they posted they were towards the back in coral D. I'm use to being in corals towards the front and was wondering if they honor the proof times or should I expect to be towards the back corals (1st time rundisney 1/2 marathon).

As long as you submit a PoT prior to the deadline, you'll be fine - just make sure the race you're submitting was run in the required timeframe. A PoT is only required if you plan on finishing in under 2:45. Any certified race, whether 10k, Half or Full, is accepted. Doesn't have to be a runDisney race. If you've done that same distance prior, make sure to answer that question in the affirmative when asked during the registration process. And if you happen to run a subsequent race that is better than the race you've submitted for a PoT, you can revise your submittal before the deadline.

RunningKoen

Did you share with disney race times from other outside races you have times from?
I'm interested in doing a rundisney challenge or race and can't decide on either the Marathon weekend in Jan. or the Princess weekend in Feb... What do you prefer?

I've used both runDisney and non-runDisney races as proof of time. Usually get corral a placements with it.
I definitely prefer the marathon weekend, but that's mostly because I did my first marathon during my first wdw visit over there

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've used both runDisney and non-runDisney races as proof of time. Usually get corral a placements with it.
I definitely prefer the marathon weekend, but that's mostly because I did my first marathon during my first wdw visit over there

Americans are bad at converting metric into miles.

RunningKoen

Americans are bad at converting metric into miles.

They have a general formula that isnt in my benefit. I can maintain a pace more easily than average, so my 10K pace is almost the same as a 21K pace. Even with a 10K ran the day before.

RunDisney converts your PoF time for a 10K or 10M races to a predicted half marathon time, as part of the challenge. Lowering your average pace for two reasons with quite a bit.

dreamfinder

At a runDisney race, at least the 1/2 or full distances, a D corral is actually not in the back. (5k & 10k I think is only A-E) Thats in the middle, as in 2019 Marathon weekend they had A-H I believe. They definitely honor proof of times, as long as you follow their directions. I've never had a problem, and I think even most of the people here who had issues admitted that they forgot to submit on time.

LAKid53

Premium Member
At a runDisney race, at least the 1/2 or full distances, a D corral is actually not in the back. (5k & 10k I think is only A-E) Thats in the middle, as in 2019 Marathon weekend they had A-H I believe. They definitely honor proof of times, as long as you follow their directions. I've never had a problem, and I think even most of the people here who had issues admitted that they forgot to submit on time.

5Ks are now A-C, 10K is A-E/F and Half is A-H. Those were the corrals the last few races I've done.

Yeah, they stuffed all the Princess 5K "runners" in 3 corrals.

RunningKoen

I had a issue once, but it was fixxed at Runners Relations. Generally, their PoT system works amazing.

Last edited:

ctcdisneymama

Did Princess half this year. It was my first half marathon and first run disney event. The course from MK back to Epcot is so squished until you hit the expressway. Going to do Wine and Dine next year and I'm looking forward to that course much more!

However, Princess was fun! The theme is amazing.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Geez louise, that was another nightmare of a registration....

Was actually able to see races and select one to register for....about 10 minutes before the site officially opened. Then in the "waiting room" for 25 minutes before the registration page opened up. Selected race, items to purchase (really glad we can get AP stuff preorder), put in card info and then screen went to...blank!!!! But finally came back with registration confirmation. Whew.

Sure hope runDisney works out whatever bugs the process still has before SW opens in July. That's going to be a major nightmare if they don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom