Disney's Policy On Public Singing - Forming A Flash Mob

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
People May not like it, but to be the devil's advocate, here's what an (outdated) Mom's panel post says:
Is there certain permission or steps I need to take to organize a flash mob in downtown disney?”
Hi Michael!

My fellow Walt Disney World "Moms" Panel friends and I participated in a flash mob at Magic Kingdom last Fall. It was so much fun! So long as the flash mob doesn't interfere with the parade(s), or any other streetmosphere happenings, then you shouldn't have any problem. Consider doing the choreography to coincide with one of the songs featured in one of the parades. If you are really curious, look us up on YouTube.com. Search for "Moms Panel Flash Mob" to get an idea of how we managed to do this. Have fun doing your flash mob!

How outdated is outdated? This could have been years ago.

Heppenheimer

Flash mobs are best received when performing to popular music. Bea Arthur's song from the Star Wars Christmas Special is neither well known nor well loved by those who are even aware of its existence.

At best, you will confuse people, but more likely, you will just annoy them. And remind them of the infamous South American tour groups. "I wish I had experienced more of those South American tour groups singing and dancing" said no visitor to Disney World ever.

Tanna Eros

Can you imagine being so self entitled to act like these dopes. That board is wrong all the time...
My first thought on this was wondering if it was going to drown out messages that guests need to hear, such as instructions. or a Disney sponsored event nearby. I don't know if I want to pay to see, say, a Star Wars themed event put on the Disney park, that has a certain level of professionalism, and having to compete on an audio level with an impromptu choral group nearby, the group maybe not having a level of polish. (Look at any real life high school play, those kids are standing and giving lines, using the 'money hand' technique to put punch to their words, and they money hand in all the wrong places. Would you honestly pay to see that if it weren't your kid?)

Me, personally? If it screams "Look at me!" I don't do it, and I don't go near it. I'm very shy and anonymous in that regard.

to the OP:
As this seems like such an important holiday for you and group, how do you celebrate it when not at a Disney park?

Last edited:

Snow Goof

Original Poster
Along with matching T-Shirts. Neon Green or Yellow, or possibly Safety Orange. It says so in the manual.
Funny you say this, because we had joked about buying some Life Day themed shirts to wear at the Studios on the 17th, whether we do the song or not. They have a good selection of them for sale online, but sadly it's too late to order as we fly out in less than 24-hours.

Now with Star Wars having its own "land" within a park, and the Holiday Special gaining more recognition and popularity over recent years thanks to the internet, you'd think Disney would capitalize on this and have some Life Day specific merch available at GE for park guests who visit on November 17th each year.
lda2.jpeg

Like I said earlier, one member of our group has a wig which looks very much like Bea Arthur's look in the Holiday Special. We are highly considering taking it along for the trip, just in case. We'll definitely check with front gate security first to make sure it doesn't cross into "costume" territory. But it can't hurt to ask. There will be people who catch the reference.

markc

Is this something that Disney would allow? We're not intending to do anything outlandish or obnoxious that it would be considered a disturbance to "the show" of the land or its guests. No costumes, nothing LOUD. Just a family singing casually as we make our way out of Galaxy's Edge. What do you all think? And would anyone else who will be at the Studios on the 17th care to join? You can look up Bea Arthur's song from the special on youtube. It is very easy to learn.

Please don't. Do this in your home or your hotel room, but don't subject guests to it. The rules aren't as clear cut (dont listen to the Mom's board)...as it borders on a disruption to other guests. In my own opinion, flashmobs are selfish ways to attract attention to one's self and ruins the enjoyment of others who may not want to hear your loud singing or choreography. Let park guests leave the park with enjoying the sights and sounds of the park itself.

Snow Goof

Original Poster
Most? Most, really?

You've got to be kidding if you think most would know that.

That is one incredibly narrow, specific demographic who would know such a thing.
You might be surprised at how many people not only know of Life Day, but celebrate it annually. The internet is responsible for introducing the almost lost Holiday Special to a whole new generation of audiences. The appreciation for it has slowly grown since it's not so stellar introduction back in the late 1970's. Disney now having an immersive Star Wars themed land on both coasts of the U.S. only opens up more windows of opportunity for people to celebrate it's rich history in the saga's lore.

I agree with you in that it is far from being the most known chapter in the Star Wars saga. It took up until late 2017 for the Holiday Special to finally crawl out of the cellar of worst decisions made for the Star Wars legacy. And while it may have emerged off of that lowest rung of the ladder, it will doubtfully ever find itself among the most glorious Star Wars moments, such as Empire, ANH, and the last third of Rogue One.

As far as celebrations go this time of year, Life Day has always been an afterthought behind more time-tested traditions. This chart from November - December several years ago shows that, at least for people in the U.S. and the U.K., the celebration of Life Day falls short among other seasonal happenings.
chrt001.png

So while you're correct in that there are still many who do not know of, or do not care for the Holiday Special, Life Day, and so on, those who know of it are growing.

And therefore, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that Life Day has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom