Disney's Policy On Public Singing - Forming A Flash Mob

Snow Goof

Original Poster
Newbie here with an odd question. We're going to be at Hollywood Studios on this upcoming Sunday, November 17th. It's going to be three families with a total of 14 people.

As most of you already know, November 17th is the celebrated Wookieean holiday known as "Life Day", as seen in the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. A few of us in our large group were talking over the idea of forming some kind of musical number to honor this cherished holiday in the Star Wars universe. Nothing disruptive or intruding to the goings on inside the park, but something festive in the grounds of Galaxy's Edge to pay homage to Life Day. We were thinking of doing a group song of Bea Arthur's classic musical number "Goodnight, But Not Goodbye" as we march out of the land that evening.

Is this something that Disney would allow? We're not intending to do anything outlandish or obnoxious that it would be considered a disturbance to "the show" of the land or its guests. No costumes, nothing LOUD. Just a family singing casually as we make our way out of Galaxy's Edge. What do you all think? And would anyone else who will be at the Studios on the 17th care to join? You can look up Bea Arthur's song from the special on youtube. It is very easy to learn.

Lilofan

South American tour groups of young ones in the park sing a lot. Especially when I have seen each country tries to outdo each other at the same time. At times some of their sing songs are of the raunchy set in their own language. Yea I can understand.

Last edited:

Snow Goof

Original Poster
South American tour groups of young ones in the park sing a lot. Especially when I have seen each country tries to outdo each other at the same time. At times some of their sing songs are of the raunchy set in their own language. Yea I can understand.
We've never encountered this before but have heard the stories. In no way would we ever take it that far. I believe in having a good time, but not at the expense of others enjoying themselves without noise pollution.

eliza61nyc

Newbie here with an odd question. We're going to be at Hollywood Studios on this upcoming Sunday, November 17th. It's going to be three families with a total of 14 people.

As most of you already know, November 17th is the celebrated Wookieean holiday known as "Life Day", as seen in the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. A few of us in our large group were talking over the idea of forming some kind of musical number to honor this cherished holiday in the Star Wars universe. Nothing disruptive or intruding to the goings on inside the park, but something festive in the grounds of Galaxy's Edge to pay homage to Life Day. We were thinking of doing a group song of Bea Arthur's classic musical number "Goodnight, But Not Goodbye" as we march out of the land that evening.

cherished holiday?? just giggling, never heard of it (not that that means much). off to goggle but as to your question. I would say probably not a great idea. Not sure how you could do it without it being disruptive. What if the area is packed? I've only seen one flash mob and it was pretty disruptive for the simple fact that people are going to stop and cause a jam.

couldn't you guys go and have a Fuzzy tauntaun at Oga's Cantina. you could probably belly up to the bar and let loose a song there.

Heppenheimer

As I understand, this practice isn't nearly as common as in the 80s and 90s... but dear God, it was disruptive! When the groups started to sing, they would overwhelm the immediate atmosphere, particularly if it occurred indoors while waiting in line. I daresay that Disney guests pay a lot of money to experience the unique, highly themed immersion of the parks. They do not pay to listen to 100 people singing off key in a language they can't understand.

Proceed with extreme caution with this plan.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Is this something that Disney would allow? We're not intending to do anything outlandish or obnoxious that it would be considered a disturbance to "the show" of the land or its guests. No costumes, nothing LOUD. Just a family singing casually as we make our way out of Galaxy's Edge. What do you all think? And would anyone else who will be at the Studios on the 17th care to join? You can look up Bea Arthur's song from the special on youtube. It is very easy to learn.
I would find this obstructive and intrusive but thats just me.

dreamfinder

I've seen videos of some pretty large/complex flash mobs (what you are describing isn't really a flash mob) at DtD/DS, and plenty of cheer/tour groups from all places singing in the parks. So it happens. Key is obviously not be intrusive or causing problems to other guests. A group of 14 people singing as they walk probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow if done quietly. A group of 14 people yelling drinking songs at the top of their lungs while blocking the path would have CMs/security ask you to stop.

Hockey89

MMMM Hardest pass ever....

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

People May not like it, but to be the devil's advocate, here's what an (outdated) Mom's panel post says:
Is there certain permission or steps I need to take to organize a flash mob in downtown disney?”
Hi Michael!

My fellow Walt Disney World "Moms" Panel friends and I participated in a flash mob at Magic Kingdom last Fall. It was so much fun! So long as the flash mob doesn't interfere with the parade(s), or any other streetmosphere happenings, then you shouldn't have any problem. Consider doing the choreography to coincide with one of the songs featured in one of the parades. If you are really curious, look us up on YouTube.com. Search for "Moms Panel Flash Mob" to get an idea of how we managed to do this. Have fun doing your flash mob!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
People May not like it, but to be the devil's advocate, here's what an (outdated) Mom's panel post says:
Is there certain permission or steps I need to take to organize a flash mob in downtown disney?”
Hi Michael!

My fellow Walt Disney World "Moms" Panel friends and I participated in a flash mob at Magic Kingdom last Fall. It was so much fun! So long as the flash mob doesn't interfere with the parade(s), or any other streetmosphere happenings, then you shouldn't have any problem. Consider doing the choreography to coincide with one of the songs featured in one of the parades. If you are really curious, look us up on YouTube.com. Search for "Moms Panel Flash Mob" to get an idea of how we managed to do this. Have fun doing your flash mob!

Mom's Panel is full of misinformation. I wouldn't be quoting them.

Hockey89

Hi Michael!

Can you imagine being so self entitled to act like these dopes. That board is wrong all the time...

Incomudro

Hi Michael!

Fun the person who made the post on the Mom's panel, along with their mob.
Certainly annoying to some others.

Snow Goof

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback and info, whether pro or against our idea.

I do understand completely why some would consider this to be annoying. That is the main reason we were thinking about making this a "walking out", mobile as we're leaving gig. Not a stationary thing.

Here is the scene we would be reenacting if it were to happen. The choreography to our "dance" is simple, walking and waving festive cups around, as seen starting at 3:12 and going until 3:46 in the video. Obviously no jumping, hootin' hollering or major disturbances to guests. Just a festive stroll more or less as we exit the land.

Someone even suggested bringing a Bea Arthur look wig to wear during the proceeding, to reflect her character from the special. I doubt we'd take it that far since that borderlines wearing a costume in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom