Disney's Policy On Public Singing - Forming A Flash Mob

Goofyernmost

Having read through more, that is a fair point, there is a big difference between a spontaneous sing along as originally posted and what it now appears the original poster intends. For what it now appears is being intended, you may need to contact Disney directly.
The way society is today, if your group is "merican" it will be well received and a happy crowd of people will surround you and clap and cheer. If, however, you are from Brazil, pots of tar will be put to a boil and feathers will be gathered from the Tiki Room, along with pitchfork carrying groups heading toward Guest Services to complain. In other words it depends on everyone's mood.

RollerCoaster

People May not like it, but to be the devil's advocate, here's what an (outdated) Mom's panel post says:

My fellow Walt Disney World "Moms" Panel friends and I participated in a flash mob at Magic Kingdom last Fall. It was so much fun! So long as the flash mob doesn't interfere with the parade(s), or any other streetmosphere happenings, then you shouldn't have any problem. Consider doing the choreography to coincide with one of the songs featured in one of the parades. If you are really curious, look us up on YouTube.com. Search for "Moms Panel Flash Mob" to get an idea of how we managed to do this. Have fun doing your flash mob!

That "mom" was rightfully fired by Mickey.

Bpmorley

Newbie here with an odd question. We're going to be at Hollywood Studios on this upcoming Sunday, November 17th. It's going to be three families with a total of 14 people.

As most of you already know, November 17th is the celebrated Wookieean holiday known as "Life Day", as seen in the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. A few of us in our large group were talking over the idea of forming some kind of musical number to honor this cherished holiday in the Star Wars universe. Nothing disruptive or intruding to the goings on inside the park, but something festive in the grounds of Galaxy's Edge to pay homage to Life Day. We were thinking of doing a group song of Bea Arthur's classic musical number "Goodnight, But Not Goodbye" as we march out of the land that evening.

Is this something that Disney would allow? We're not intending to do anything outlandish or obnoxious that it would be considered a disturbance to "the show" of the land or its guests. No costumes, nothing LOUD. Just a family singing casually as we make our way out of Galaxy's Edge. What do you all think? And would anyone else who will be at the Studios on the 17th care to join? You can look up Bea Arthur's song from the special on youtube. It is very easy to learn.
Great idea, sorry I won't be there to see it

JIMINYCR

Wellll... did you do it? If so, how many participated? How was it received by other guests? What was the reaction by the CM's? Dont leave us hanging without a report.

Jimmy Thick

Thanks for the feedback and info, whether pro or against our idea.

I do understand completely why some would consider this to be annoying. That is the main reason we were thinking about making this a "walking out", mobile as we're leaving gig. Not a stationary thing.

Here is the scene we would be reenacting if it were to happen. The choreography to our "dance" is simple, walking and waving festive cups around, as seen starting at 3:12 and going until 3:46 in the video. Obviously no jumping, hootin' hollering or major disturbances to guests. Just a festive stroll more or less as we exit the land.

Someone even suggested bringing a Bea Arthur look wig to wear during the proceeding, to reflect her character from the special. I doubt we'd take it that far since that borderlines wearing a costume in the park.

If Bea Arthur was leading this flash mob and singing I would totally support it, heck I might even join in.

But being a flash mob would be making a scene and could be considered as disorderly conduct and while I would love to see some of Florida's finest come out with batons, shields and tear gas toward a group of self absorbed people in Bea Arthur wigs, I would not want my expensive Disney vacation disrupted by such behavior.

misterteapot

Welcome to the boards. You may not have had the time to check out the site's terms and rules section yet, but bumping old threads is frowned-upon unless there is something new to contribute.
Here's my contribution - it seems allowable from what I understand. Now please refer to my original comment. :)
I know what "bumping old threads" means but I don't understand why that policy (or viewpoint) exists unless it also applies to "current" threads. I'm not trying to "bump". I came upon this thread when I was searching out the same thing. I'm genuinely curious. But I know I'm now off topic. I was just surprised to see a response at all, especially since I was just trying to encourage positivity and there was nothing stopping the people who were just being off-putting.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Here's my contribution - it seems allowable from what I understand. Now please refer to my original comment. :)
I know what "bumping old threads" means but I don't understand why that policy (or viewpoint) exists unless it also applies to "current" threads. I'm not trying to "bump". I came upon this thread when I was searching out the same thing. I'm genuinely curious. But I know I'm now off topic. I was just surprised to see a response at all, especially since I was just trying to encourage positivity and there was nothing stopping the people who were just being off-putting.
I apologize for my abrupt response to your initial post. It could have been nicer. Welcome to the board! 😊

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom