News Disney's own survey is a list of Walt Disney World's 50-anniversary shortcomings

Which reasons best describe why you felt the 50th anniversary was below your expectations?

• The celebration didn't celebrate "classic Disney" and lacked nostalgia

Votes: 356 81.1%
  • Crowds made it difficult to enjoy the celebration

Votes: 153 34.9%
  • The décor was limited

Votes: 167 38.0%
  • Commemorative entertainment for the celebration was limited (stage shows, parades, etc.)

Votes: 259 59.0%
  • It was not special enough for a 50th-anniversary celebration

Votes: 349 79.5%
  • The 50th-anniversary merchandise I wanted was unavailable

Votes: 89 20.3%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars were not as good as previous shows

Votes: 323 73.6%
  • The fireworks shows/nighttime spectaculars didn't celebrate the 50th

Votes: 293 66.7%
  • It was difficult to find the special food and beverage offerings

Votes: 46 10.5%
  • It was not as good as other Disney celebrations

Votes: 272 62.0%

• Total voters

DoleWhipDrea

There will always be people that eat up Disney's paltry offerings, but from what I've been seeing, a large percentage of visitors haven't shied away from telling Disney how dissatisfied they are about the 50th. Twitter replies from a recent 50th ad were brutally honest.

I got this survey recently. I actually went to Animal Kingdom on Earth Day, so there were additional questions about supposed Earth Day offerings - none of which I saw advertised anywhere. Learning this from a survey after my visit was pretty frustrating, and it just highlights how WDW doesn't know how to highlight a special event.

I was able to experience DL's 50th back in the day, and while it should have been bigger, the effort was so much more significant than WDW's, and I was expecting to see at least the same amount of effort to celebrate WDW's history and make it exciting. Remember...Dreams Come True was the best fireworks show I've ever seen and it celebrated Disneyland with Julie Andrews as the narrator. It was perfection. Buzz Lightyear Astro blasters opened. 2 days before the anniversary, Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage (a makeover of a long-shuttered and beloved attraction) and Turtle Talk with Crush were announced. Gold vehicles for opening day attractions. 50 golden Mickeys and golden bunting in the park. Fantastic and unique attraction merchandise. Sleeping Beauty Castle decked out in gold and sections highlighting memorable moments throughout its 5 decades, with an overall glow up of the castle with sparkles.

With WDW, I don't think I would know it's the 50th if I was a regular guest.

bcoachable

Odd how Disney has been shying away from nostalgia at WDW parks, but Universal is finally realizing the value of their back catalog with things like the new Tribute Store that's all about E.T., Jaws and Back to the Future.
That’s cause all the decision makers for things such as this from the once great Diz bolted to Uni, and took the soul of the parks with em…. ;)

MrPromey

That’s cause all the decision makers for things such as this from the once great Diz bolted to Uni, and took the soul of the parks with em…. ;)

And this is where Disney needs to be careful. People talk about the momentum and nostalgia and how people's kids will keep going to Disney when they grow up because they take them today.

Universal's now been in Florida long enough to have at least two adult generations with nostalgia towards it - enough that they're able to start leaning into that.

For me I look at ET (the ride) and think "classic what?" but that's just me. I know a ton of people feel different.

That thing, which current (Disney) management's been squandering left and right has been Disney's bread-and-butter for the last twenty years (even the initial draw of Disney+ was about that huge back catalog) and it's no longer a blue ocean thing for them, I don't think.

Current Imagineers are focused on making good Instagram spots while down the road, they're building Super Nintendo World (which comes with it's own nostalgia-fueled audience before it even opens.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
And this is where Disney needs to be careful. People talk about the momentum and nostalgia and how people's kids will keep going to Disney when they grow up because they take them today.

Universal's now been in Florida long enough to have at least two adult generations with nostalgia towards it - enough that they're able to start leaning into it.

That thing, which current management's been squandering left and right has been Disney's bread-and-butter for the last twenty years (even the initial draw of Disney+ was about that huge back catalog) and it's no longer a blue ocean thing for them, I don't think.

Current Imagineers are focused on making good Instagram spots while down the road, they're building Nintendo Land (which comes with it's own nostalgia-fueld audience before it even opens.
Disney is losing touch with its core base and most loyal fans. They don’t seem to care as long as they are making money but with trends the way they are, many families won’t be able (or want to) travel to Disney as much as maybe they did before

Brenthodge

Everything was pitch perfect for their target demographic. The original song… having “Greg Brady” narrate, the past attractions referenced… it’s interesting when you don’t have tons of IP to push, how your own story can become your IP. I’m actually quite proud to have this park “here in my own backyard” as the song says. Great job team KI and CedarFair! And there cares till 4-5 other special entertainment offerings to add over the next week or two that will run through the summer.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

That is the big question for 15yrs from now. Will Disney have created that absolute nostalgia demand for the next generations. Will it be a must do for them? Disney sure as heck better hope so. I'm not so sure they have. I know my son has a much greater anticipation for Nintendo than Disney.

Animaniac93-98

That is the big question for 15yrs from now. Will Disney have created that absolute nostalgia demand for the next generations. Will it be a must do for them? Disney sure as heck better hope so. I'm not so sure they have. I know my son has a much greater anticipation for Nintendo than Disney.

Do kids even like "Disney"? Or do they like Star Wars, Marvel or Princesses specifically?

I'm not sure what "Disney" means to kids these days.

GCTales

Do kids even like "Disney"? Or do they like Star Wars, Marvel or Princesses specifically?

If Disney did it properly, the nostalgia would build itself.

We wnt to EPCOT, once. We did not visit any other Disney parks as kids. I remember remember exhibits, but not much "Disney" about the parks (the Living Seas really grabbed my attention and the hydrolators and Seabase alpha made me want to lean to scuba dive).

My brother went for his honeymoon for the first time to ALL the parks in his mid 20s.

I went years later for my first time at around 35.

He is now a DVC member and visits about 1 to 2x per year.

I have visited multiple times, including an international park.

My wife has a fish /seafood allergy and Disney`s historic ability to deal with multiple dietary needs make it "safe" as we know what she can safely eat, even at a Disnwy seafood restaurant, The experience/ environment, and how it made us feel built the nostalgia for us.

It has developed for his kids (late teens). Though there is significant dissatisfaction with recent changes (not sure how much is covid impact and how much is actually policy changes, yet).

While the nostalgia is strong for us, it has NOT yet developed for my kids. They are just as excited for non-disney parks as for the idea of going to Disney.

EDIT: I realize I inferred, but did not state my point. The current direction of the changes have cooled our ardour. For the first time ever, my wife has expressed a desire to vacation in places other than Disney. My brother has discussed renting out their points and using the funds to exp.ore other places, not Disney related. This is a HUGE change in how we vacation.

BIGGEST CHANGE- Both groups are discussing how to visit universal- something that we would NOT have considered as little as 3 years ago.

Last edited:

bcoachable

If Disney did it properly, the nostalgia would build itself.

We wnt to EPCOT, once. We did not visit any other Disney parks as kids. I remember remember exhibits, but not much "Disney" about the parks (the Living Seas really grabbed my attention and the hydrolators and Seabase alpha made me want to lean to scuba dive).

My brother went for his honeymoon for the first time to ALL the parks in his mid 20s.

I went years later for my first time at around 35.

He is now a DVC member and visits about 1 to 2x per year.

I have visited multiple times, including an international park.

My wife has a fish /seafood allergy and Disney`s historic ability to deal with multiple dietary needs make it "safe" as we know what she can safely eat, even at a Disnwy seafood restaurant, The experience/ environment, and how it made us feel built the nostalgia for us.

It has developed for his kids (late teens). Though there is significant dissatisfaction with recent changes (not sure how much is covid impact and how much is actually policy changes, yet).

While the nostalgia is strong for us, it has NOT yet developed for my kids. They are just as excited for non-disney parks as for the idea of going to Disney.

EDIT: I realize I inferred, but did not state my point. The current direction of the changes have cooled our ardour. For the first time ever, my wife has expressed a desire to vacation in places other than Disney. My brother has discussed renting out their points and using the funds to exp.ore other places, not Disney related. This is a HUGE change in how we vacation.

BIGGEST CHANGE- Both groups are discussing how to visit universal- something that we would NOT have considered as little as 3 years ago.
Such a common thought for many, as the company continues to make changes- it would seem from the crowds, for the moment, Disney is fine with us feeling this way- but the interesting view will be in ten years or so, when that nostalgia momentum has been lost. That’s probably when they will just throw “free dining” back at us - and we will all come running…. :).

correcaminos

Depends on the kid. My 14yo likes Disney. Meaning the classics, the fab 5 and all that. Marvel is fine but looked at separately to them. Star Wars same. Just because it is at Disney and now owned by Disney, doesn't make it feel like it's "real Disney" to them as weird as that sounds.

Disneyfanman

I haven't been to WDW since 2019 and we had a blast when we went. I know the pandemic did a number on the parks for awhile but something else has really shifted. Everyone I know who has gone in the past 6 months has been disappointed, and these are all people who are dedicated Disney visitors. The wave of negative comments from people who love visiting has been something I have never seen before. I have always taken the comments on these boards with a grain of salt, but this is the first time that I have had all of the people I know come back with a universal "meh" or worse.

What has been most interesting to me is that nobody has even mentioned the 50th anniversary. Not a single one. They all spoke about the crazy add-on costs, the difficulty in navigating the parks, the craziness of LL and Genie. Nobody liked any of those things. Nobody even brought up the Anniversary thing. If LL and Genie have fans, they are not among the people that I know.

Now the common thing among my social group is that we are all middle class and save for our vacations. It's a big deal deciding if and when we are going somewhere like Disney. And these dedicated visitors are all saying that they are unlikely to return for some time, or maybe not go back at all.

Maybe other people will replace the frequent visitors who are less interested in where this is going. Attendance certainly doesn't seem to be an issue. I moved a trip from this year to next because of all of the negative comments. My hope is that they will get their act together by then.

Bocabear

I was trying to get our group to go to Aulani this year to use our DVC and return to Disney World next year when some of the dust settles, but some of our group wanted to go...So we are going to brave it this week...
The crowds look insane, we can't all get park reservations for the same days, most of the dining slots were booked out months in advance... This could be our last trip for a while... And we are all DVC owners and spend a lot of money when we go... Seems like the New Disney is lacking capacity and any sort of spontaneity...which to me equals a lack of magic and a real loss of having a relaxed enjoyable vacation.

GCTales

I haven't been to WDW since 2019 and we had a blast when we went. I know the pandemic did a number on the parks for awhile but something else has really shifted. Everyone I know who has gone in the past 6 months has been disappointed, and these are all people who are dedicated Disney visitors. The wave of negative comments from people who love visiting has been something I have never seen before. I have always taken the comments on these boards with a grain of salt, but this is the first time that I have had all of the people I know come back with a universal "meh" or worse.

What has been most interesting to me is that nobody has even mentioned the 50th anniversary. Not a single one. They all spoke about the crazy add-on costs, the difficulty in navigating the parks, the craziness of LL and Genie. Nobody liked any of those things. Nobody even brought up the Anniversary thing. If LL and Genie have fans, they are not among the people that I know.

Now the common thing among my social group is that we are all middle class and save for our vacations. It's a big deal deciding if and when we are going somewhere like Disney. And these dedicated visitors are all saying that they are unlikely to return for some time, or maybe not go back at all.

Maybe other people will replace the frequent visitors who are less interested in where this is going. Attendance certainly doesn't seem to be an issue. I moved a trip from this year to next because of all of the negative comments. My hope is that they will get their act together by then.
Went back in Feb during a seperate trip to FL to visit snowbird family. Specifically took one day to visit MK for the 50th.

Only thing I saw for 50th was the medallion on the castle. 50th merch was all gone, no 50th or 2022 xmas merch (about 12 people asked for it after me).

Having used original paper FP, and Electronic FP, the new system suckss.

We had a harder time getting dining reservations (even being onsite) than ever before, navigating the software, worrying about battery drain, had to reschedule several ride becauxe the LL time conflicted with dining reservations, worst crowds I have ever seen in a "normal" day (excluding holiday crowds), etc.

This was NOT the Disney I remember.

My brother goes in 2 weeks for the postponed 2020 graduation trip for my niece.

Will be interesting interesting to hear their comments.

My boss went last month for the first time and said they had a great time, got every restaurant they wanted, every ride they wanted, didn't notice the crowds at all... but then, he booked concierge level at the Contemporary (I think) and paid for VIP tours for their entire family, private car service to and from parks... so no wonder he didn't experience what everyone else did (note: I am happy he and his family had a great time, not trying trying to sound to sound negative. I did a lot of work with him ahead to time to help identify restaurants and rides for the family- his wife booked room, transportation, and the VIP tour side of trip). Even with all that, they do not plan to go back... said they saw everything and Don't feel the need to go back, even if they did the same typemof trip again.

That is who Disney apparently is targeting now. The one and done who spend a ton of money on their only trip.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom