Disney's Over-Reliance on Smartphones

Is Disney relying too much on smartphones

• Yes

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters

el_super

Disney’s smartphone addiction is emblematic of how current management has lost its way—all the systems are now designed for Disney’s convenience, but not so much the guest’s.

Ok this is a little too much. It's still possible to go to Disneyland without your cell phone and have a perfectly enjoyable day.

No, you don't have to ride Rise of the Resistance.
No, you don't have to eat at the Tiki Juice Bar.
No, you don't need to download your Photopass Photos.

If you want to go and or5etend it's still 2005, you are perfectly able to do that. You can ride Pirates and Mansion and Thunder and never pick up your phone.

The only people who feel you need a cell phone to complete the experience are the ones already suffering from FOMO.

sinead

Graphite. It's boring, but I like to accesorize it with covers. And Graphite works best for that, at least for my color palette.

I'm rarely fanatical about companies (he says on a Disneyland fan board :rolleyes:) and I don't consider myself an Apple fanatic, but I just really like their products and services thus far. Very classy outfit they have, and the phones are fabulous.

Agreed. It doesn't seem like the people Disney has employed in their IT groups know a thing about the parks or storytelling or why people visit the parks. It's not so we can poke at our phones to try and get a corn dog.

It's just gotten out of hand. You can tell there's a corporate expectation that you have to be on your phone constantly while at Disneyland. Nothing they do has a real-world option, there is no paper anything or real-world human interaction option. It's all App, all the time. It stinks.

Being dependent on an App to be at Disneyland is not what I call relaxing or fun or unique; it's like picking up my dry cleaning and checking traffic on the freeway. :(

The Walt quote in my signature line below has never been more apt.
I'm a semi-Luddite. I greatly appreciate appreciate technology for the improvements it has made in our lives.
But I resent how it has overtaken our lives.
And I deeply resent how we have little control on its unwelcome intrusion into our privacy & serenity.
But mostly I DESPISE Chapek controlling MY Disney experience to this extent.
The idea that even stopping for snacks w/o using a phone is absurd.
Chapek is trying to turn us from GUESTS into ROBOTS.
Unless visiting the Parks is a once-in-a-lifetime vacay for you & yours and you're lucky enough to be able to return occasionally, my advice is forget about all the Genies & Lighting Lanes, keep your phone in your pocket & enjoy what's available as you experience Disney Parks as they were meant to be.

Parteecia

I just uninstalled the app. Looks like everyone's reports (and no more Dream keys) have pushed me past indecision.

And I do this as someone who never would have otherwise upgraded her cheap Tracfone Samsungs but did so twice because the app demanded it.

Last edited:

MickeyCat

I work with older adults, and Disney is going to alienate a lot of visitors if they expect everyone to have/operate a smartphone to navigate their entire trip. (And this does not just apply to older adults, I know there are plenty of others who don't/can't use smartphone technology). My mother is 74, and before the pandemic she was going to WDW every year. I was with her on her last trip, which was in 2019. I had to be the one to make all dining res, FastPasses, check wait times, etc. I tried to show her how, but she just couldn't get the hang of it. I know she is going to go again soon, and probably without me, and I'm concerned she is going to be very frustrated/miss out on a LOT since she doesn't really understand how to use a smartphone.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Ok this is a little too much. It's still possible to go to Disneyland without your cell phone and have a perfectly enjoyable day.

No, you don't have to ride Rise of the Resistance.
No, you don't have to eat at the Tiki Juice Bar.
No, you don't need to download your Photopass Photos.

If you want to go and or5etend it's still 2005, you are perfectly able to do that. You can ride Pirates and Mansion and Thunder and never pick up your phone.

The only people who feel you need a cell phone to complete the experience are the ones already suffering from FOMO.
You can't even enter the park without first using a cell phone/ computer and making a Disney Account to make a "park reservation". Don't play dumb.

spock8113

Disney's Over-Reliance on Smartphones??????​

What about the the staggering-heads-down-thumb-punching phone owners?
I dare you.....triple dog dare you to put your phone in your pocket for 6 hours and only use it in an emergency.
No, I didn't so.
Use your mirrors because it's not just Disney.

el_super

You can't even enter the park without first using a cell phone/ computer and making a Disney Account to make a "park reservation". Don't play dumb.

Yes, you're right. You need to use a computer to get a reservation in order to go. Something you can do days in advance and, as with most of us posting here, something you are probably going to do anyway (some of us several times a week).

But that isn't really part of the core argument is it? The argument is more so, how the experience at Disneyland, the actual time based entertainment you are paying for, is being dominated by cell phone use. That one can't enjoy their day at the park without having their cell phone out and constantly updating, and that's simply not true at all.

That feeling is only manifesting because people are prioritizing ride count as strictly the only way to derive the value out of the cost of a day at Disneyland. That time = rides and the more time saved here and there means more rides completed and more value gained. It is a construct of their own making.

Seriously, just sit on a bench and talk to your friends and family for awhile. Watch the crowds go by, catch the band playing on Main Street. You can do these things without a cell phone.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Yes, you're right. You need to use a computer to get a reservation in order to go. Something you can do days in advance and, as with most of us posting here, something you are probably going to do anyway (some of us several times a week).

But that isn't really part of the core argument is it? The argument is more so, how the experience at Disneyland, the actual time based entertainment you are paying for, is being dominated by cell phone use. That one can't enjoy their day at the park without having their cell phone out and constantly updating, and that's simply not true at all.

That feeling is only manifesting because people are prioritizing ride count as strictly the only way to derive the value out of the cost of a day at Disneyland. That time = rides and the more time saved here and there means more rides completed and more value gained. It is a construct of their own making.

Seriously, just sit on a bench and talk to your friends and family for awhile. Watch the crowds go by, catch the band playing on Main Street. You can do these things without a cell phone.
Great argument. Sit on a bench and be thankful for all the stuff Disney shut you out of without a phone.

No sitdown dining reservations, no fast passes, no dole whip, no corndogs, no Star Wars Ride, no Spiderman Ride, no Indiana Jones.

Even the "walk up list" for restaraunts that was once for in person visitors is now done on cell phones.

Be happy for your diminished experience.

el_super

Be happy for your diminished experience.

The experience is, in part, what you make it, and if you want to make it completely dependent on things that require a cell phone, then you have to bring a cell phone. That is the way of it.

Can you still have a great experience without one? Yes you can. You can go to Disneyland and ride Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion and the Mark Twain and eat lunch at the Golden Horseshoe just like Walt did and never touch your phone.

That you choose to preference one type of experience, and then complain about the circumstances that experience are offered under, is in part your own issue with expectations. You might as well complain that you can't enter Disneyland for free.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
The experience is, in part, what you make it, and if you want to make it completely dependent on things that require a cell phone, then you have to bring a cell phone. That is the way of it.

Can you still have a great experience without one? Yes you can. You can go to Disneyland and ride Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion and the Mark Twain and eat lunch at the Golden Horseshoe just like Walt did and never touch your phone.

That you choose to preference one type of experience, and then complain about the circumstances that experience are offered under, is in part your own issue with expectations. You might as well complain that you can't enter Disneyland for free.
You still need the internet, an email address, and a Disney account to even enter the park.

In Walt's day you could eat at a table service restaurant without needing to be on a phone at 3am 60 days beforehand.

In Walt's day you could park your car, take a shuttle from the parking lot directly to the front gate, and buy your ticket book and enter the park.

Now you have to create an email address, create a Disney account, link a credit card to your Disney account, check for availability, buy a ticket, and make a digital reservation for the day you want to go.

Oh and for dining? Good luck unless
you planned for it at 3am 2 months ago. Now you're forced to "mobile order" meals 4 hours before you want them in the park.

So yes it is diminished.

Walt would never alienate his guests and make "Pirates of the Caribbean" require a lottery system to ride, or New Orleans Square a "virtual queue" to enter.

First come first serve is the way the world works.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I have a flip phone and have had it for years and it serves me just fine to make calls and receive calls. I don't want an expense smart phone that has bells and whistles I'll never use. My life does not revolve around my phone and I sure as H-!! don't want to be tied to a phone when I'm on vacation. Maybe Disney's intent is if you are staring at your phone all the time you won't notice how crappy WDW has become

LOL, had to laugh at your flip phone response:)
I too, have an old flip phone. I pay for minutes when needed, but hardly ever use them. I think I have over 600 minutes right now.
I keep it on OFF in my purse and only turn it on when I need to call someone while out. Otherwise, we have a land line where people can reach us when we are at home. I know it's old fashioned but it's what we like to do.
While at Disney, I didn't even take that flip phone to the parks. We used the kiosks if we needed to make another fp. NOW,that is not an option.
I am one of those people who doesn't want or need to be connected. I guess it's because I grew up when these things were not available and I prefer it that way. I don't mind if everyone else does need this, to each their own.
I love to take in the amazing atmosphere created by disneys imagineers in each park, especially AK. Part of our trip is the immersion.
So, IF, and it's a big IF, we ever go back we will be in the parks without a smart phone. But at this time and with all the current changes, our plans are not to return at this time. But Disney won't miss us.
I am not a luddite. I have an ipod touch, laptop, and kindle which I love using. However, I don't want to be connected to a phone all the time, that's all. I like to relax and have a stress free vacation. I was surprised at how much I could do that when we visited Universal a few years back. I'd forgotten what that was like. We wandered around and entered attractions if we felt like it, sometimes over and over if we wanted. We ate whenever we felt like it - no phone reservations needed. That's what's missing at WDW, IMO.

Last edited:

el_super

You still need the internet, an email address, and a Disney account to even enter the park.

You still don't see the irony in complaining about needing a computer to access the park, while using a computer?

First come first serve is the way the world works.

Most of those concerns are ones of capacity and demand. Walt's park was never as busy as the park it today.

And the point still stands: you don't need a cell phone to go have an enjoyable time at the park. You don't need to do any of the things that require a cell phone in order to have a good time. That requirement that you MUST be able to access those things that require a cell phone while in the park, is a construct of your own making.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
You still don't see the irony in complaining about needing a computer to access the park, while using a computer?
No I don't. If I was in a themepark on my phone writing this, it'd be very hypocritical. I am not in a themepark.
And the point still stands: you don't need a cell phone to go have an enjoyable time at the park. You don't need to do any of the things that require a cell phone in order to have a good time. That requirement that you MUST be able to access those things that require a cell phone while in the park, is a construct of your own making.
Yes anyone can enjoy anything even if it's diminished.

I can also enjoy life without even being in a themepark. How psychological are you going to get?

"The restaurant messed up your order and gave you bad service but you can choose to not be mad about it"

I had relatives visit from out of state and they hated the phone thing too and wanted to just be in "vacation mode". It isn't me making a construct.

You need a PHD to go on a ride at Disneyland these days.

el_super

No I don't. If I was in a themepark on my phone writing this, it'd be very hypocritical. I am not in a themepark.

Ok wait so what exactly is your objection to needing to use a computer to get a reservation to get into the park? You are clearly able to use a computer day to day, since you keep posting here. And using a computer to get a reservation before entering the park, doesn't really diminish your experience while inside the park, so what exactly is the issue now?

Yes anyone can enjoy anything even if it's diminished.

It's diminished for you. It's not for everyone. If you honestly can't find the fun it in anymore, why keep going?

"The restaurant messed up your order and gave you bad service but you can choose to not be mad about it"

Exactly right. What is throwing a fit going to accomplish if you are still hungry and want to get food?

I had relatives visit from out of state and they hated the phone thing too and wanted to just be in "vacation mode". It isn't me making a construct.

My idea of vacation mode is not trying to pre-plan and strategize things, and yet you're seemingly advocating for both: the right to be able to get Fastpasses, make dining reservations, and manage travel planning, but at the same time NOT have to use your phone to do it? It doesn't make any sense.

You need a PHD to go on a ride at Disneyland these days.

No you don't, and that's the exact hyperbole I am ranting against here. For most of the rides, you can still walk up and join the standby queue just has everyone has for some 66 40 years.

el_super

The amount of times one needs to be on the phone at Disneyland has undoubtedly increased. That can’t be denied. Some people don’t like it, some don’t care. But things have most definitely changed.

It can be denied because it's simply not true. You don't need to be on your phone to enjoy a day at Disneyland.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Exactly right. What is throwing a fit going to accomplish if you are still hungry and want to get food?

You realize you can dislike something without “throwing a fit” right? That you can be not satisfied with something but not have it effect your day to day life. No anger issues here pal.

My idea of vacation mode is not trying to pre-plan and strategize things, and yet you're seemingly advocating for both: the right to be able to get Fastpasses, make dining reservations, and manage travel planning, but at the same time NOT have to use your phone to do it? It doesn't make any sense.
I’m not advocating for pre planning at all. My dream idea for restaraunts is you walk up to one and are seated immediately. Disneyland has “Dining Reservations” that are done 2 months it advance at 3am on your cell phone. To appease guests who showed up day of, they also had a “Walk Up List”. This was only done in person.

Now the “walk up list” is only done on your cell phone. So you just have 2 cell phone lists to eat at a restaraunt in Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

It can be denied because it's simply not true. You don't need to be on your phone to enjoy a day at Disneyland.
It simply is true. I’m not talking about enjoying a day at Disneyland, and even if I was, one can’t say that another can or cannot enjoy a day at Disneyland because that’s subjective.

I’m talking about the use of technology in general, particularly the phone. The usage of one’s smartphone has become more important over time because Disney keeps implementing things that require the use of a phone. That’s a fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom