Disney's Move: Uni planning major announcement Nov 1

Mawg

This is kinda like watching the tortoise and the hare. Disney got a head start and now just sprints a little then takes a long nap and the tortoise keeps coming. There is no way the tortoise can win, right? Now the Tortoise in the last few years has found some jet packs and Disney is still asleep under a tree somewhere. 20 years from now our kids could be learning about this in their business classes, how a large company can fail. And all restaurants will be Taco Bell’s.

John

Not dead (yet)...just very...troubled.
Whether it ever gets built or not, art exists and would provide the desired PR effect within the fan community and the general public.

Lee, why O why would they do this? It makes little sense (to me). Propaganda? Is this what Disney needs right now? Even with the most passive follwer of WDW seems this would not go over well. And what are they going to say? Here it is folks! Avatarland.....dont know when we are going to build it but here it is .....isnt it beautiful?

If there is somekind of rift between Cameron and Disney, wont somebody stick a microphone in fronmt of him at some point and ask him about it? Why would Disney roll out art work on a project Cameron hasnt signed off on? Wouldnt that just him off even more? I dont see the point. Lee is this something you heard or are just guessing because as much as I respect you I think this is a little off.

Me.....I think that it will be more of the same as before. Nothing of real substance. DIsney and UNI have done things very different then this, UNI right now has already started construction on Transformer and HP 2.0...as in the past they announce it after the fact. Now Uni is going to roll out projects that are here and now....Disney is going to roll out a maybe?.....huh?

Ignohippo

I haven't seem any. They're treating that stuff like its plutonium or something...

It seems to me that an announcement of CarsLand would be more likely. As I understand it, CarsLand would happen before Avatar anyway (even if Avatar happens to get greenlit).

I believe the reason everything is being so tightly guarded is because it is in such a state of flux. There isn't anything groundbreaking about the tech that we've heard.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, why O why would they do this?
You guessed it. PR and propaganda.
Disney has a bit of a history of announcing projects and providing concept art for attractions that never actually get built.
It helps to not only create excitement with the fans, but also to act as a sort if barometer to gauge potential interest (or lack thereof).

Lee

Adventurer
It seems to me that an announcement of CarsLand would be more likely. As I understand it, CarsLand is slated to happen before Avatar (even if Avatar happens to get greenlit).
It's still a little early for a Cars Land announcement, plus they tend to not make those kinds of announcements at these deals.
Everyone knows about Avatar, so by providing some sort of art will allow them to make a splash. It also will allow them to save something the size of the DHS additions for D23, where they can really hit their "biggest" fans with a major announcement.

And let's face it...if they don't have a big DHS announcement at D23....what will they have? Likely nothing of any consequence.

baymenxpac

Disney has a bit of a history of announcing projects and providing concept art for attractions that never actually get built.
It helps to not only create excitement with the fans, but also to act as a sort if barometer to gauge potential interest (or lack thereof).

in essence, lets them present an "avatar is all good, guys. fully on track!" air to most fans (read: ones that aren't frequenting boards like these, and even some that are), while also getting a gauge on how big of a deal it would be to fall through.

if the concept art is met with a collective "meh," then all the pressure is off disney. if it makes a huge impact, they might feel a sense of urgency to get something done.

and i assume the latter is what the people with an agenda to get this thing done are hoping for, right lee?

nor'easter

It's still a little early for a Cars Land announcement, plus they tend to not make those kinds of announcements at these deals.
Everyone knows about Avatar, so by providing some sort of art will allow them to make a splash. It also will allow them to save something the size of the DHS additions for D23, where they can really hit their "biggest" fans with a major announcement.

And let's face it...if they don't have a big DHS announcement at D23....what will they have? Likely nothing of any consequence.

How about bifurcating the studios announcements....monsters Inc. and cars land.

WDW1974

Lee, why O why would they do this? It makes little sense (to me). Propaganda? Is this what Disney needs right now? Even with the most passive follwer of WDW seems this would not go over well. And what are they going to say? Here it is folks! Avatarland.....dont know when we are going to build it but here it is .....isnt it beautiful?

Ever seen a Disney coffee table book loaded with pretty pictures?

Disney always 'intends' to build everything they paint a picture or build a model or even put out contracts for!;)

Oh, and don't call me Lee ... blech!!!!!

If there is somekind of rift between Cameron and Disney, wont somebody stick a microphone in fronmt of him at some point and ask him about it? Why would Disney roll out art work on a project Cameron hasnt signed off on? Wouldnt that just him off even more? I dont see the point. Lee is this something you heard or are just guessing because as much as I respect you I think this is a little off.

Who? The Mommy Blogger Brigade? Ricky Brigante? Lou Mongello? Jeff Lange (if he's not on the black list as I suspect he is now)? Deb Wills? Kevin Yee (oh yeah, he won't be near there either!)

As of last week, Cameron hadn't signed off on any plans. I don't know whether Disney legally based on its contract can show off art without his OK, but Disney doesn't necessarily worry about the law when it suits them, like all large corps.

I do know some art (actually a fair amount now) exists and that there are some in the fan community who want to spread the word that it will be shown, yet they won't mention it themselves.

Me.....I think that it will be more of the same as before. Nothing of real substance. DIsney and UNI have done things very different then this, UNI right now has already started construction on Transformer and HP 2.0...as in the past they announce it after the fact. Now Uni is going to roll out projects that are here and now....Disney is going to roll out a maybe?.....huh?

The focus of Disney's event will be Fantasyland and Test Track and GF DVC with smaller things like parades and shows tossed in, maybe even touting FP+ some. A 'big' deal would be showing some Avatar art. You won't hear about STudios makeover or other big projects here.

doctornick

Iron Man ride for DL?
More specific details for Shanghai?
the possible Tony Baxter project (for Frontierland, I think)?

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but those are things we could see.

WDW1974

I haven't seem any. They're treating that stuff like its plutonium or something...

I asked someone about that and was told that's largely because cameron hasn't given the OK to any of it and that Disney could have issues if that stuff leaked.

I know folks who have seen some and most of what they've seen has been akin to when Disney announced SDL ... you couldn't see much of any detail in it.

Lee

Adventurer
Iron Man ride for DL?

All valid points to some degree. Iron Man would be a sure bet. Tony's project may simmer a bit longer.
Shanghai is cool, but since most fans won't (sadly) ever get there, it wouldn't have a huge impact.

WDW1974

How about bifurcating the studios announcements....monsters Inc. and cars land.

Bifurcating?

I love all the legal terms that are popping up.

Oh, and I doubt you'd ever see that. They want a big splash on Studios to rival what they did in 2007 with DCA. You don't get that by dividing up when you'll let folks know about things.

Imagine how much bigger Fantasyland could have been if it all opened together (say in October) at the same time Disney debutted a new day parade and brought back a refreshed Spectro and had the new castle projection show ready to roll?

See, that's how someone with a brain and an understanding of media would have done it. But why expect that level of savvy, know how and common sense from people who work for one of the largest media companies on the planet?

John

I ag

I agree with what you are saying....(see Hyperion Warf)...but this is just buisness as usaual, Disney can no longer operate this way. I just cant see them announceing a project that may or may not happen. UNI isnt playing that way. If Disney continues to play that way they will slid further behind.....funny I am even saying this....unbelievable....Disney playing catch up.

WDW1974

Iron Man ride for DL?

Iron Man is 99.99% solid for D23 as are more details on SDL (likely one major attraction and one hotel will be showcased).

Baxter project? Well, depends on whether it actually happens and then the timeline.

But it would definitely be where you announce a DCA like makeover for TPFKaTD-MGMS.

Kuhio

More like... unobtainium!
biggrin.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom