Disney's Lost Worlds: Shangri-La - 1902 Carthay Circle

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS
Theme Park Premise

"Guests are explorers departing on research expeditions to discover mythic lost civilizations throughout the world, with each "Lost World" being a place where myths live in harmony with nature."

Think this approach could preserve a lot of the nature, myth and culture we've been discussing, but in a more directed and exciting way. Like Disney's Animal Kingdom, animal exhibits line the ruins and make the settings feel lived-in. Lots of worldwide settings are still represented, but in a less "edutaining" way.

The entry land could be a base camp in a remote village where we leave on our adventure. Makes guests the center of the story. Full of artifacts already recovered.
-------------------------
Shangri-La Basic Concept
Picturing this as set entirely within a lush mountain valley, somewhat like how DisneySea's Mysterious Island is laid out. Accessed from the entry land via mountain passes and tunnels. Maybe make our mountains U-shaped and facing the real mountains north of the site.

-------------------------

Above are the highlights for the Hong Kong Disneyland 2nd Gate Project (as of 8/14/18) by the 1902 Carthay Circle Team.

In this thread, we are specifically discussing and creating the attractions, restaurants, shops, and more of the Shangri-La area. Here we can design the layout, organize our thoughts, and then chime back in on the main 1902 thread, to keep everyone up to speed on the progress.

Anyone is free to chime in at anytime, all are welcome to post their ideas/suggestions for the land, and with that let the discussion begin.

PerGron

So as the resident animal nerd, I came up with a basic idea for an animal walkthrough that goes around the perimeter of the land with attractions built into the land itself. The reason I did this was to allow animal care facilities to sit behind the exhibits without interrupting show buildings. Now of course, as we design we can modify this to fit our plans, but that is my general beginning.

I also limited myself to Chinese and Indian Subcontinent animals only (with a few Indonesian animals thrown in such as Komodo Dragons and Malayan Tapirs because I love those species personally).

I featured a few main areas of interest, such as a large hoofstock paddock where Water Buffalo, Deer, and antelope species can live, a walk-through aviary for small birds, pheasants, and waterfowl, and a large panda breeding complex since China loves their pandas. I can post a full list of species if you’d like (and we can cut/add as we see fit, really only a few MUST HAVES like tigers and pandas).

Voxel

President of Progress City
So perhaps I have played WAY too much Uncharted and @spacemt354 knows how I love obstacle courses. However, I feel like this would be a great area to put a hands on experience with a ropes course, zipline, rock climbing, etc. Maybe have it even interact with a ride so the riders of the ride can see the ppl climbing towards the treasure.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I had previously suggested putting the Jungle Book attraction in Lemuria, since there's nothing listed there.
What if we cut lemuria? It's a neat legend and story witg some cool elements. But we've had no ideas for it. Plus it's a sunken city just like Atlantis. And it's southeast Asia just like Shangri La. I think we either need some idea to make it unique from those two lands or cut it.

OR we make the entry land more of a generic Southeast Asia Jungle Basecamp. Wuth an expedition Everest style rollercoaster through hidden mountains to Shangri La and a river rapids ride quest to Lemuria.

A pair of E Tickets flanking the entry land with a Jungle Book dark ride and maybe another B/C Ticket nearby.

I'll post this in the Shangri La thread too

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
What if we cut lemuria? It's a neat legend and story witg some cool elements. But we've had no ideas for it. Plus it's a sunken city just like Atlantis. And it's southeast Asia just like Shangri La. I think we either need some idea to make it unique from those two lands or cut it.

OR we make the entry land more of a generic Southeast Asia Jungle Basecamp. Wuth an expedition Everest style rollercoaster through hidden mountains to Shangri La and a river rapids ride quest to Lemuria.

A pair of E Tickets flanking the entry land with a Jungle Book dark ride and maybe another B/C Ticket nearby.

I'll post this in the Shangri La thread too
Posted this in the main thread before visiting this one. Add the animal trails and the obstacle course along the border. Journey to the West dark ride at the base of the mountain of the roller coaster. Jungle Book in the jungle near Lemuria Rapids. Base Camp goes up the middle.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Capture+_2018-08-15-11-30-05~2.png

Alright. Here's my very rough map. Orange is the winding main path with shops and food along the way.

Green is animal trails.
Blue is Lemuria Rapids and Jungle Book both sharing an overgrown jungle full of ruined temples wuth the real mountains off in the distance as a back drop.
Brown is Uncharted inspired opstacle course (not based on the IP but I agree with @Voxel that it is an amazing series that fits our land)
Red is Expedition to Shangri La mountain roller coaster with Journey to the West dark ride sharing the mountain show building.

Funnels outward from smaller attractions to bigger more thrilling ones helping ramp up the excitement and adventure as you enter the park

orlando678-

I feel like Shangri-La could host some pretty amazing attractions, next to the mentioned expedition everest type rollercoaster, i feel like a dark boat ride in which guests travel through a spirit forest where they encounter mythical creatures and figures from chinese and south east asian folklore and a gondola flume ride going past paradise-like waterfalls (maybe including a water deity or dragon as a main character in the attraction) would be pretty cool.

D Hulk

A week ago (last time I was active) there was debate over placing a Soarin’ in the entry land. (Though DisneySea next year sets a precedent for that.)

No matter, I propose a new approach to Soarin’ in Shangri-La. instead of hang gliders, we simulate astral projection fight over the several lost worlds. Could be a neat approach!

Liking these other ideas for an Everest variant, and an Asian myth/Journey to the West boat dark ride.

NateD1226

View attachment 303962

Alright. Here's my very rough map. Orange is the winding main path with shops and food along the way.

Green is animal trails.
Blue is Lemuria Rapids and Jungle Book both sharing an overgrown jungle full of ruined temples wuth the real mountains off in the distance as a back drop.
Brown is Uncharted inspired opstacle course (not based on the IP but I agree with @Voxel that it is an amazing series that fits our land)
Red is Expedition to Shangri La mountain roller coaster with Journey to the West dark ride sharing the mountain show building.

Funnels outward from smaller attractions to bigger more thrilling ones helping ramp up the excitement and adventure as you enter the park
I'm not joking when I say this but this was literally was my vision was last night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom