Disney's Investor Day 2020 (December 10th, 2020)

Magenta Panther

Can't wait for Pirates and Princesses to write some ******** and moaning about how this is killing "Walt's vision" without realizing his vision bankrupted the studio (twice!) and fostered an anti-union, hostile work environment.

He bankrupted the studio twice? Where did you dig up that lie? Here are the facts, if they interest you: Walt Disney – Bankruptcy (uslegal.com) Without Walt pushing the envelope, innovations like sound cartoons, color cartoons, audio-animatronics and the theme parks themselves wouldn't exist. And BTW, at the time of his death, 45 years after his one and only bankruptcy, his company was worth 5 billion. And who are YOU again?

As for the anti-union story, Walt did react too personally to the studio strike, but there were some questionable people behind the union movement. And he treated his animators/staff better than any animation studio in Hollywood at the time, hence his hurt and bewilderment over the strike. How shallow of you to diss the man who created the company Iger and his minions got fat off of, without suffering the setbacks Walt suffered and yet overcame. You wanna call me a Princess or Pirate for setting you straight, go for it, liar. Why you're even here on a Disney-focused website when you have such ignorant contempt for the man who inspired it is a mystery to me. But do enjoy the attention you were obviously angling for. And the butt-kicking you deserve.

mary2013

He bankrupted the studio twice? Where did you dig up that lie? Here are the facts, if they interest you: Walt Disney – Bankruptcy (uslegal.com) Without Walt pushing the envelope, innovations like sound cartoons, color cartoons, audio-animatronics and the theme parks themselves wouldn't exist. And BTW, at the time of his death, 45 years after his one and only bankruptcy, his company was worth 5 billion. And who are YOU again?

As for the anti-union story, Walt did react too personally to the studio strike, but there were some questionable people behind the union movement. And he treated his animators/staff better than any animation studio in Hollywood at the time, hence his hurt and bewilderment over the strike. How shallow of you to diss the man who created the company Iger and his minions got fat off of, without suffering the setbacks Walt suffered and yet overcame. You wanna call me a Princess or Pirate for setting you straight, go for it, liar. Why you're even here on a Disney-focused website when you have such ignorant contempt for the man who inspired it is a mystery to me. But do enjoy the attention you were obviously angling for. And the butt-kicking you deserve.
I think Pirates and Princesses is a website.

Darkprime

Anyone else feel like they should scrap future d23 and comic cons and just do these investor days once a year? Honestly I really enjoyed it. And it was accessible to everyone unlike d23 and comic con even if we didn't get to see all the trailers they showed. We got all the marvel trailers.

Imagine if they were exclusive to some stupid online event. Probably would have leaked in low quality. Ruining their first footage debut. Maybe make it a little more casual next year and a bit more for the fans sort of thing but it was basically Disneys version of dc fandome and I quite liked it.

Ldno

Well the investors days is something not everyone has access to, unlike D23, but even then I take everything said there with a grain of salt of anyways and let’s see what makes it in production. Not really excited about content and stuff that gets announced by disney without following it through(looking at D23)

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well the investors days is something not everyone has access to, unlike D23, but even then I take everything said there with a grain of salt of anyways and let’s see what makes it in production. Not really excited about content and stuff that gets announced by disney without following it through(looking at D23)
It was a webcast. Lower entry of access then attending D23.

Darkprime

If Disney really wanted to they could charge virtual tickets to access the next investor day like how Blizzard charges for virtual tickets to Blizzcon. And I bet people would buy them to.

erasure fan1

2 years ago after Solo flopped, Iger suggested that maybe Disney went too hard, too fast on Star Wars.

They sure have changed their attitude on that, lol.
It really doesn't seem like that much to me. Maybe it’s because most of it is so far off at this point. After next Friday, we have a year until the next season of Mandalorian and any meaningful star wars. So 2022 we will see the start of the D+ shows but it's another year after that until the first film. Then you can bet it will be 2yrs at least until the next film hits, presumably the Taika film. So all this content is spread over a fairly long time, 4 to 5yrs

Slpy3270

AT&T stock rose 6% one week after the WB 2021 dump to HBO Max announcement.
Disney stock rose more than twice as much in just one day, with little to no window shattering.

And people think AT&T is more innovative and forward thinking?

Matt_Black

For those complaining about too many Star Wars or Marvel sequels and spin-offs, some perspective- during the Golden Age of Hollywood, they made 28 (TWENTY-EIGHT!) Blondie movies, which is about 27 and a half more movies about Dagwood being a nincompoop who likes ridiculously large sandwiches than anyone really needs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those complaining about too many Star Wars or Marvel sequels and spin-offs, some perspective- during the Golden Age of Hollywood, they made 28 (TWENTY-EIGHT!) Blondie movies, which is about 27 and a half more movies about Dagwood being a nincompoop who likes ridiculously large sandwiches than anyone really needs.
In the 1950's alone, there were close to 700 Westerns made.

kthomas105

Does anyone think that as Disney continues to expand Disney+ and Hulu we will start to see integration of Movies Anywhere for subscribers that have existing digital movie collections linked through MA? (Movies Anywhere is the "digital locker" service owned by the WDC, it allows users who have purchased movies from various digital retailers such as iTunes, PrimeVideo and Microsoft Movies & TV to link their accounts and create a more complete library of the movie titles they own. Currently my MA is linked to multiple accounts allowing all of my movie titles to show up on various platforms, the main platforms I tend to use the most are Apple TV and PrimeVideo. I know Disney Plus and Hulu are not digital movie retailers like iTunes or PrimeVideo, but this seems like a rational next step which would give Disney a competitive edge, especially over Netflix. Now there are reasons they may not wish to do this, Disney relies on partnerships with other studios (WarnerBros, to actually make the platform worth while to users, so I could see them not wishing to rock the boat with the studios that are currently participating, but I for one would love to be able to access my movie library from within a service like Hulu or Disney+ (maybe more for Hulu than Disney+ given the PG vs PG13 dichotomy). For me I want the content I watch the most in one place, switching apps is a hassle because the UI is different for each one, simple things like knowing how to quickly search for something is super convenient and makes the experience even better.

Now this is pretty dry stuff I would never expect to be talked about during an investor day presentation but I feel like Disney is in a unique experience to offer a standardized UI across its platforms and further cement consumers love for its products and experiences. After all they are always looking to create the Disney Difference that sets them apart from the other guys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom