Disney's Hollywood Studios to get a new name

mharrington

Original Poster
Some years ago, Disney was planning to give Disney's Hollywood Studios a new name. They wrote out some names and then sent them out to people to see which one they liked best. Among the choices, all rather interesting, were "Disney Kaleidoscope Park", "Disney XL Park", "Disney Legend Park" and "Disney Cinemagine Park". The last choice seemed to be the one that came the closest, but they decided to keep "Hollywood Studios". I can see why they would want to rename it, as the name gives off what it once was but is no more: a working studio. That's why it confuses me a bit to see that they would continue to call it "Hollywood Studios". People here seem to think "studios" is still acceptable, as it apparently is another word for "movies". They claim that it works because it's about intellectual properties. "Studio" apparently is used in the metaphorical sense. But here's a question: do you go to a studio theater to watch a studio? Or do you go to a movie theater to watch a movie? I'm pretty sure most people would say the latter.

That's why I believe that they should come up with a new name for the park, because the additions of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge have absolutely nothing to do with being a working movie studio. And I want to take Walt Disney Studios Paris into account, because whatever they go with in Florida, they need to go with in France, too.

Anyway, my three choices are either "Disney Hollywood Kaleidoscope Park", which I think fits as a sort of whirling mix of Hollywood stuff, "Disney Hollywood Cinemagination Park", because it's all about going into a Hollywood that's honest about not being real but a fantasy Hollywood (maybe Walt Disney Studios Paris could just be "Disney Cinemagination Paris" or something), or, to keep it simple, maybe "Disney Hollywoodland", which takes up far less space on any given surface than "Hollywood Studios".

Anyway, those are my ideas. How about you? What would you rename Hollywood Studios to if you had to rename it?

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

I'd keep Hollywood Studios as the name.

But if I had to change it I would definitely pick Hollywood Adventure. It says what the park is in the title and there's no confusion. They could just say people are going into their favorite movies, rather than behind the camera.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'd keep Hollywood Studios as the name.

But if I had to change it I would definitely pick Hollywood Adventure. It says what the park is in the title and there's no confusion. They could just say people are going into their favorite movies, rather than behind the camera.
Well, don't forget, as I said before, whatever the name change is at DHS, I want to change the name of the Studio park in Paris, too.

comics101

Some years ago, Disney was planning to give Disney's Hollywood Studios a new name. They wrote out some names and then sent them out to people to see which one they liked best. Among the choices, all rather interesting, were "Disney Kaleidoscope Park", "Disney XL Park", "Disney Legend Park" and "Disney Cinemagine Park". The last choice seemed to be the one that came the closest, but they decided to keep "Hollywood Studios". I can see why they would want to rename it, as the name gives off what it once was but is no more: a working studio. That's why it confuses me a bit to see that they would continue to call it "Hollywood Studios". People here seem to think "studios" is still acceptable, as it apparently is another word for "movies". They claim that it works because it's about intellectual properties. "Studio" apparently is used in the metaphorical sense. But here's a question: do you go to a studio theater to watch a studio? Or do you go to a movie theater to watch a movie? I'm pretty sure most people would say the latter.

That's why I believe that they should come up with a new name for the park, because the additions of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge have absolutely nothing to do with being a working movie studio. And I want to take Walt Disney Studios Paris into account, because whatever they go with in Florida, they need to go with in France, too.

Anyway, my three choices are either "Disney Hollywood Kaleidoscope Park", which I think fits as a sort of whirling mix of Hollywood stuff, "Disney Hollywood Cinemagination Park", because it's all about going into a Hollywood that's honest about not being real but a fantasy Hollywood (maybe Walt Disney Studios Paris could just be "Disney Cinemagination Paris" or something), or, to keep it simple, maybe "Disney Hollywoodland", which takes up far less space on any given surface than "Hollywood Studios".

Anyway, those are my ideas. How about you? What would you rename Hollywood Studios to if you had to rename it?

I was under the impression that Disney Hollywood Adventure was the front-runner for rebranding the park. If the name has to change, that'd be the best route imo. Personally, I think Disney made the right move in keeping Disney's Hollywood Studios' name, however.

mharrington

Original Poster
I was under the impression that Disney Hollywood Adventure was the front-runner for rebranding the park. If the name has to change, that'd be the best route imo. Personally, I think Disney made the right move in keeping Disney's Hollywood Studios' name, however.
Surprisingly, it wasn't "Hollywood Adventure", it was "Cinemagine", which wouldn't have been my first choice, I'll admit.

MickeyMouse10

Thanks Tiki! Glad to see you're still around as well. It has been way too long since I've posted on the forums--unfortunately life has gotten rather busy and I haven't made as much time to comment as I should. I've been lurking for awhile though!

I knew I felt your eyes on me. You naughty boy. :)

mharrington

Original Poster
I've actually come up with a fourth name idea, and it actually reinforces that the Hollywood you see is in fact not meant to be the real Hollywood: "Disney Hollywood Fantasy". Unfortunately, that only takes the Florida park into account and not Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom