Disney's Hollywood Studios -> Disney Studios

habuma

Original Poster
This is my first go at imagineering anything. And, honestly, it's way too high level for it to be considered real imagineering anyway. And, it's not like these ideas are incredibly revolutionary...just things that make sense to me. Nevertheless...please be kind.

I've been thinking about this for a long time and certainly the recent Star Wars news has me thinking about it once again. The question being: How can we add Star Wars to DHS, add even more fun to that park, and still retain (or even regain) some theming is in line with the name of the park?

The short answer: Rename the park to Disney Studios.

Think about it. Disney properties afford it several "studios": Pixar, Muppets, Lucas, Marvel, ABC...not to mention Disney's own brand.

At a very high level (without getting into too many details of what attractions/dining/shopping are in each themed land, the park could be divided fairly easily into distinct "studios" lands.
  • Pixar Studios could include the land currently occupied by TSMM and the TS meet-n-greet, but also expand back into the space occupied by the backstage tour, LMA and the HISTK playground. The new space could be used for all of the ideas already thrown around, including Monsters, Inc. door coaster, Radiator Springs Racers, etc. Also, while we're at it, relocate Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor and Space Ranger Spin to this new land and start thinking about fixing the theming in Tomorrowland. (Yeah, I struggle a bit with having both TSMM and SRS in the same land...but not that much.) Streets of America? I dunno...maybe that's where Incredibles stuff happens. I'm fuzzy on what to do with that space without completely removing it. Oh yeah...Pizza Planet gets moved over to this land.
  • Muppets Studios would be a relatively small land and would include the space it's currently in plus perhaps a Swedish Chef themed restaurant in the space vacated by Pizza Planet. (I'm imagining an animatronic Swedish Chef in plain sight preparing meals while you eat...Sonny Eclipse-style but with food and unintelligible words.) Maybe that old Muppet-themed mockery of GMR could be added.
  • Lucas Studios could take over most/all of the Echo Lake area and include all of the ideas already thrown around in this forum. But, not just Star Wars. I may be in the minority, but I like the Indiana Jones stunt show. That said, I'd be okay with it going away so long as there's still Indy presence. Maybe a clone of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye or something new and unique. (Sadly, 50's Prime-Time would need to move out of the way for this land. I'd hate to see it go completely, but I don't have thoughts on where it could move to.)
  • I have nothing specific for ABC in mind, although I'm not sure what to do with Commissary Lane. I'm not recommending that the commissary remain (I'm not a fan of that place), but I'm not sure what to do with that space. And I'd hate to see Sci-Fi go away.
  • The animation courtyard is reworked (slightly) to be Disney's Animation Studios. Not a whole lot of retheming here...just renaming. And it should include One Man's Dream...that just needs to stay as-is.
  • The remainder of the existing area remains almost untouched and is themed as Tinseltown or Hollywood Land or some such thing. I'd like the park to retain some of it's existing theming and this part of the park is mostly fine as-is. Sure, the RnRC is a bit out of place...not much I can do about that (yet). And maybe the Beauty and the Beast show could be replaced with something fresh. But I'm a big fan of the CoH and would want a classic Hollywood area to remain for them.
  • Needless to say, the BAH goes away so that we can see the Chinese Theater again. GMR gets an update to include some newer "classic" movies, but otherwise stays put.
  • Eventually...someday...with any luck...Disney works it out so that they can have proper Marvel presence in Florida. When/if that happens, Marvel Studios can occupy space between RnRC and the animation building (currently backstage area) or space west of TSMM around the Earful Tower (currently backstage and part of the tour).
And with that you have a park that feels a bit more cohesive and still retains some of its original charm. (And feels less like a dumping ground for any new idea that comes along.)

Wegerter

As far as commissary lane goes, you could make it the entrence to muppet studios from Hollywood blvd. you can combine sifi and ABC Commisinary into 1 big resturant for either Swedish chef or a sifi resturant run by gonzo.

habuma

Original Poster
Followup on my original thinking. (And apologies if someone else has already come up with this idea. I assure you that this hit me on its own and I am not intentionally plagiarizing the idea.)...

RnRC always seemed like a misfit. It's a great ride, greatly themed, but its theme is only loosely related to the rest of the park. So, if the space near RnRC is ever repurposed for a Marvel themed land (as I hinted to in my original thoughts), then imagine this:

Rock 'n Roller Coaster: Awesome Mix Vol 1.
As much as I like Aerosmith (I do, really)...applying the music from Guardians of the Galaxy could be just as good of a fit and even be thematically fitting if the area nearby is given a Marvel themed land. Naturally, the pre-show, the ride internals, and the car itself would need to be reworked....but otherwise, the same ride with a new theme.

evnted

Followup on my original thinking. (And apologies if someone else has already come up with this idea. I assure you that this hit me on its own and I am not intentionally plagiarizing the idea.)...

RnRC always seemed like a misfit. It's a great ride, greatly themed, but its theme is only loosely related to the rest of the park. So, if the space near RnRC is ever repurposed for a Marvel themed land (as I hinted to in my original thoughts), then imagine this:

Rock 'n Roller Coaster: Awesome Mix Vol 1.
As much as I like Aerosmith (I do, really)...applying the music from Guardians of the Galaxy could be just as good of a fit and even be thematically fitting if the area nearby is given a Marvel themed land. Naturally, the pre-show, the ride internals, and the car itself would need to be reworked....but otherwise, the same ride with a new theme.
i like how you're tying RNRC into your Marval land here, but i just checked out the songs on the soundtrack and very few mimic the intensity and speed of RNRC if any. Hooked on a Feeling, Spirit in the Sky, Aint No Mountain High Enough, all are great songs, David Bowie and Jackson 5, all great artists, but none of them fit with RNRC. picture it this way:
you just launched from 0-60(ish)mph in 2.8sec into 2 back to back inversions, do you want to hear "If you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. If you're not into yoga..." or do you want to hear "i'm BACK in the saddle again....IM BAAAAAAAACK"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom