Disney's Great British Adventure, a new resort outside London - updated with Narnia (6/6)

Justinate

Original Poster
I've been silently following this forum and thoroughly enjoyed many of the creative theme park concepts, and thought it time to share one of my own.

I know it's exceedingly unlikely Disney would ever open a new resort in Europe after its troubles in Paris, let alone one in such close proximity that would potentially divert visitors across the English Channel. But it's always nice to dream that you might one day get a Disney park practically in your backyard. Plus it occurred to me that so many classic Disney properties draw inspiration from great British literature, whether it's medieval Arthurian legend or the mythical worlds of Narnia and Prydain; and the only place you would assemble those properties into a single resort would be in Britain itself.

Now I'm sure some will say - a park themed to Great Britain in Great Britain is falling into the California Adventure trap. Why would you visit Britain only to see mock-ups of British buildings and landscapes within a theme park setting when the real thing is right outside? But I hope that the overwhelming focus on literary worlds and careful curation of real-world buildings that no longer exist will help alleviate that problem. For instance, I am choosing to base the resort's flagship hotel on the grand British railway hotels of yore - not one that still exists, but rather one that has been demolished. Other buildings, such as the High Street entry land, will not directly replicate buildings found in any British city but instead emulate various British architectural styles in some semblance of harmony. After all, most British high streets do not have a uniform architectural style, having been assembled over a number of decades, even centuries, before urban planning codes demanded consistency.

Location-wise, I'm envisioning this to be somewhere on the outskirts of London - perhaps the plot allotted to the London Resort. Or it could be further afield, as long as it has good connections to major urban centres. I wouldn't mind placing it somewhere near Ashford in Kent, which is served by the Eurostar - which would allow Disney fans to visit both the Paris and London resorts in the same trip - a very elaborate "park hop", if you will, traveling between Disney resorts in two different countries!

So here's a preview of what Disney's Great British Adventure, the flagship park of a two-park resort with three hotels and an entertainment district, would entail:
  1. The flagship hotel, Disney's Grand Albion, across the entrance to the park
  2. The supercharged entry land of High Street, boasting not just guest services, retail, dining, multiple transportation options, a large West End-style theatre, but also attractions themed to Peter Pan and Mary Poppins (both of which are set in offshoots of High Street that could be considered their own sub-lands: Kensington Park Gardens and Cherry Tree Lane, respectively) as well as an interactive game inspired by The Great Mouse Detective
  3. High Street culminates in the central hub, crowned by the castle of Cair Paravel (from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia) with sub-lands themed to 101 Dalmatians (Hell Hall) and The Wind in the Willows (Toad Hall) located off to the sides
  4. The Land of Narnia, at the top of the park (where Fantasyland is traditionally located in a castle park), is accessed via the castle drawbridge or the Underground train (itself an attraction, not unlike Universal's Hogwarts Express) from High Street, with a further two attractions located in the land itself
  5. Castleborough, a medieval "catch-all" land built around a castellated village, can be found immediately to the right of Narnia, with attractions based on The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, and Pixar's Brave (which is effectively in a DunBroch sub-land)
  6. The Hundred Acre Wood, one of two lands intended for younger children, is found immediately to the left of Narnia, with a trio of attractions themed to Winnie the Pooh
  7. Below the wood, and backing on to the Kensington Park Gardens sub-land (whose Peter Pan ride exits here), is Pixie Hollow, the other land targeted at young children, with a couple of attractions themed to Tinker Bell and friends
  8. Alice's Wonderland, merging both the classic Disney animated film and Tim Burton's live-action versions, is located on the right-hand side of the park, between Castleborough and the Cherry Tree Lane sub-land (whose main Mary Poppins ride exits here)
  9. Encircling the park, a steam engine railway - an absolute necessity for a park set in the country that gave birth to the railways, with stops in High Street, Hundred Acre Wood and Castleborough. High Street station is also home to an Underground station that provides an "experience" travelling to the Land of Narnia (not unlike the Pevensie children's experience in Prince Caspian)
I'll delve deeper into each land but I'm curious to hear what you all think about the plans above. Below is a rather rough map of the park - apologies for my poor Paint skills, but I hope it's good enough to convey the layout of the park.

Last edited:

Justinate

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! Glad you're enjoying my debut post/thread.

This is great! But... the Muppets have a history with the UK, and should get at least something small.
I didn't know that! I always think of the Muppets as quintessentially American. This park is pretty much drawn up (in my mind) but they might be a good fit for the second park that will be part of this Disney Resort.

Justinate

Original Poster
Disney's Grand Albion Hotel/Park Entrance:

Following the template of Disneyland Park Paris and Tokyo DisneySea, Disney's Great British Adventure welcomes guests through its flagship hotel, the Grand Albion. In choosing this hotel's motif, I decided to go with the grand railway hotels of yesteryear as my inspiration. A large number of these still exist today throughout Britain, and the most spectacular, to my mind, is the Gothic Revival pile of the Midland Grand Hotel at London St Pancras - now operated as a Renaissance by the Marriott group. However, to simply mimic a hotel that many Britons and visitors will have already seen in the capital, or perhaps even arrived through (St Pancras is a major railway hub and Eurostar terminal), dampened my enthusiasm for it being the model for Disney's flagship hotel. Instead I settled on a railway hotel that would still convey the same sense of time and place (late Victorian Britain) but without a close counterpart in existence.

Depicted in the image above is the Grand Pump Room Hotel, which served the city of Bath in the West of England, before it was demolished many decades ago. Some may observe similarities with the newly-built Disney's Riviera Resort at WDW; this is because both emulate the French Second Empire style in which Baron Haussmann renovated the city of Paris during Napoleon III's reign. Now, a few might note the irony of having a hotel in an architectural style more familiar to Britain's traditional rival welcoming visitors to Disney's Great British Adventure. But if you think about it, it is the perfect counterpoint to the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, which is built in the Victorian style. I like to think of these two hotels as representing the Entente Cordiale, the alliance between Britain and France which developed at the start of the 20th century.

The Grand Albion will be significantly wider and taller than its inspiration. It will take the form of an upside-down U, with two long wings wrapping around the entrance plaza. The left wing will be called the Georgian Wing, which connects via the central Victorian Wing to the right wing, which is the Edwardian Wing. Traveling from left to right, therefore, you pass chronologically through the various reigns of the Hanoverian kings, Victoria, and her son Edward VII. The rooms in each wing will be decorated with subtle differences to mark these different eras.

One of the most dramatic features of the Grand Albion will be its status as a true railway hotel. Much like the Contemporary in Orlando, with the monorail running through its A-frame, the steam engine railway that encircles the park will traverse the centre of the Victorian wing, under a multi-story glass canopy inspired by the lost Crystal Palace and other Victorian-era, wrought-iron and glasshouses. Guests checking in at the hotel lobby on the concourse (one level above ground) will find the check-in desks backing onto the railway platform, with dramatic views of the steam engines puffing in and out of High Street station. Turnstiles will allow hotel guests exclusive access onto the southern platform to take the train to either one of its other two stops (or indeed a grand circle tour). Park visitors who are not staying at the hotel will board the train from the other side of the tracks. Hotel guests who don't wish to take the train can also access the park via an exclusive entrance on the ground floor, emerging from one of the facades on Cherry Tree Lane. On the upper floors of this large glass-covered atrium are the Victorian Wing's guestrooms, with the most exclusive being north-facing (into the park).

Below this lobby/train concourse are archways leading from the entrance plaza into the park. This is how non-hotel guests will enter the park. Once guests are through the turnstiles, they emerge from archways on the other side onto Town Square, with a view straight up High Street towards the castle of Cair Paravel. Immediately behind them will be stairs and elevators to the High Street station platform.

In the centre of the entrance plaza is the Storytellers statue - I have opted for this instead of the Partners because I feel it best reflects the literary inspiration for this park, as well as the "arrival" of Walt and Mickey to foreign shores. On either side of the plaza, on the the ground floor of the hotel's Georgian and Edwardian wings, are ticketing booths, certain guest services, and a cafe.

Before we leave the Grand Albion and move on to the park itself, I want to spend a little time on the hotel's three signature restaurants - one in each of its wings:
  1. On the concourse level of the Georgian Wing, overlooking the entrance plaza, will be the Regency Tearooms. Here, amid Georgian splendor, guests can partake in a Character Breakfast or Afternoon Tea, where Mickey and friends will appear dressed in Tudor finery from the 1990 cartoon, The Prince and the Pauper. (Although Minnie and Daisy don't appear in the film, they will be among the characters appearing at this dining experience with period-appropriate costumes to match Mickey, Donald and Goofy.)
  2. Over in the Victorian wing, the central part of its top floor is given over to the Sovereign's Dining Room, the finest of fine dining establishments on Disney London property, much like its Grand Floridian counterpart, the Victoria & Albert. (I could've given the same name to this restaurant, especially considering it is in the Victorian Wing, but V&A is far more familiar to Britons as an art museum in London.) Sovereign's offers refined British and French cuisine, as well as large dramatic windows with coveted views of the park and its nightly fireworks spectacular. Adjoining Sovereign's, and boasting a fireworks viewing terrace, is the Crown and Sceptre, a bar/lounge featuring quintessentially British libations (think a heavy emphasis on gin).
  3. Last but not least, the Edwardian Wing houses the Durbar restaurant on its top floor. Given the popularity of Indian cuisine in Britain (which claims chicken tikka masala as one of its national dishes), it was no-brainer to offer it up in an elegant setting that calls on the best of Old India. "Durbar" was the word used to describe a conference of the Indian rulers. While this restaurant actually overlooks the entrance plaza (as it is in the right wing, not the central one), evening diners at Durbar will have access to a fireworks viewing terrace, too.
And with that, we wrap up the hotel/entry plaza portion and move into the park proper.

Justinate

Original Poster
It looks good, but doesn’t the resort usually starts with a Disneyland park?
You're not wrong - this is still a "castle park", with many of its hallmarks: a main street, a castle hub, fantasy lands, woods instead of jungles (accounting for the English climate!), but lacking lands dedicated to the future and Wild West. So I technically could've called it Disneyland London, but I felt "Great British Adventure" gave it a little bit of uniqueness, as well as being more representative of the park's overall motif: Disney interpretations of Great British literature.

Twilight_Roxas

I know you’ll most likely say no, but may I recommend for Disney’s Great British Adventure a Avengers Campus set within a former UK S.T.R.I.K.E base that is used for recruitment?

I forgot that the UK in Marvel comics has a disbanded British agency called S.T.R.I.K.E which wasn’t related to S.H.I.E.L.D, but could be use by the Avengers to get recruits.

Last edited:

Justinate

Original Poster
I know you’ll most likely say no, but may I recommend for Disney’s Great British Adventure a Avengers Campus set within a former UK S.T.R.I.K.E base that is used for recruitment?

I forgot that the UK in Marvel comics has a disbanded British agency called S.T.R.I.K.E which wasn’t related to S.H.I.E.L.D, but could be use by the Avengers to get recruits.
I have good news and bad news. Marvel won't be part of this park - but it is on the cards for the second park of this resort. I just wanted to keep the flagship thematically "pure" - Britain has its own great tradition of comics but Marvel is more identified with America. So the second park, which has a more international flavour, will be a more natural fit for Marvel properties. However, it's not a British branch of Avengers Campus ... that's all I'm going to say for now!

Justinate

Original Poster
High Street:

The entrance land to Disney's Great British Adventure follows the time-honored formula of a "Main Street" - only in this case, it's "High Street", in keeping with the British vernacular.

Entering under the archways at the rear of the Grand Albion Hotel, park guests find themselves in a town square - officially known as Mouseton Square, as indicated on London-style street signs found on building corners. These signs read: London Borough of Disney - Mouseton Square - W.E.D. 1. Similar signs mark the High Street as well as its side streets (Kensington Park Gardens and Cherry Tree Lane).

The centre of the square is given over to a large garden with beautiful plantings in the English-garden style and plentiful benches. The plantings are carefully chosen not to obscure the view of High Street and the Castle in the distance (so no tall or overly bushy trees!) and rotated according to the seasons.

In line with many of London's garden squares, there is actually a low hedge and railing (albeit without any sharp spikes!) surrounding the garden. Small marble pedestals dotted around the garden hold 2-foot tall bronze statues of characters from each of the park's lands: Tinker Bell*, Mary Poppins, Cruella, Mr. Toad, Winnie the Pooh, Aslan, Merlin, and Alice - essentially a preview of the attractions to come. (*Representing both Peter Pan and Pixie Hollow)

On the right side of the Square is the imposing Town Hall, which houses the bulk of Guest Services, including the First Aid bay. (Remember: Some facilities, such as lockers and stroller rental, were located before you actually pass through the park turnstiles, on the same side as Town Hall, but housed in the ground floor of the Grand Albion Hotel's Edwardian - a.k.a. Right - Wing.)

The Town Hall is modeled after the demolished, old Kensington Town Hall in London. It is a multistory building with the upper level housing a Mickey and Friends meet and greet. The characters dress as Lord Mayor Mickey, Lady Lieutenant Minnie, Town Crier Donald and Lamplighter Goofy (a nod to the Mary Poppins land behind Town Hall). During special events, they may dress in special costumes.

On the left side of the square, directly opposite Town Hall, is the Windsor Theatre. It takes its name from the British royal family, maintaining a link to the Grand Albion Hotel in whose shadow it sits. (I toyed with the idea of giving hotel guests an exclusive entrance into the theatre's upper level, where box-style seating awaits them, but that may be over-engineering things!)

The theatre's architecture draws inspiration from the now-lost Gaiety Theatre, also in London - albeit a shorter, flatter version of the facade depicted below, with a winged Minnie topping the cupola. This is a West-End style venue, providing musical entertainment of that caliber to an audience of 1,500. In between showings, the principal characters from the show can meet and greet in the theatre's foyer. Guests enter the theatre from the front (i.e. the Mouseton Square facade) and exit after the show into Kensington Park Gardens.

Leaving the square behind, we walk down High Street. The shop facades on either side maintain the same elegant architecture and neutral color scheme of the hotel, Town Hall and Theatre. Street lamps are gas-lit. To maximise space, the buildings on either side offer guest access to two levels. The ground level is mostly retail (as well as a sweet shop and bakery) while the upper floor offers more retail, a table service restaurant, as well as an interactive walkthrough that forms part of The Great Mouse Detective Challenge.

Attractions:
  1. The Great Mouse Detective Challenge - an interactive game themed to the 1986 film that challenges visitors to solve a mystery by following clues around High Street, Kensington Park Gardens, Cherry Tree Lane, and the Castle Hub. I imagine it will be a digital game with instructions in the Disney Resort app on your phone, but guests without one can also pick up a brochure from Town Hall. Some of the clues are located "out in the open", but there is also a purpose-built, indoor section with Audio Animatronics on the upper floor of the shops on the left side of High Street. Those who succeed in the challenge will receive a "medal" from Queen Mousetoria (limited to a certain number each day) while others receive a surprise gift like a Fastpass, premium fireworks viewing, a theatre box seat, etc.
  2. Disney's Great British Railway - Guests can embark on a grand circle tour of the park from High Street station by taking the stairs (or elevators) at the back of Mouseton Square (on either side of the arches through which they entered the park). They are effectively stepping inside the central wing of the Grand Albion Hotel, but they can't leave the platform concourse and enter the hotel proper without passing through turnstiles that require hotel admission. They board one of three locomotives serving the park - each named for a British railway pioneer - James Watt, Richard Trevithick and George Stephenson - to circumnavigate the park, calling at Hundred Acre Wood and Castleborough before returning to High Street. The railway circuit offers views of the park's themed lands wherever possible, but inevitably there are some sections of track where proximity to unthemed buildings or backstage facilities requires the train to pass through tunnels. In these instances, passengers are entertained by dioramas where Disney characters reinterpret key moments in British history/literature: Mickey and friends in Druid garb perform a ritual at Stonehenge; they compel King Pete (John) to sign the Magna Carta; Mickey Shakespeare presents a play to Queen Minnie; Mickey pulls the sword from the stone, etc.
  3. Underground Railway to Narnia - a second railway transportation option for the park, albeit one that takes place entirely underground and does a lot more than simply conveying passengers from High Street at the front of the park to the Land of Narnia at the back. Taking inspiration from Universal's Hogwarts Express, the quintessential London transport of the Underground or Tube is perfect for a special experience. Guests descend below Mouseton Square through the iconic London Underground entrance next to the Town Hall. Unlike the real Underground, the platforms are fairly shallow (elevators are also available - the same ones that travel in the opposite direction to the steam train platform upstairs). Trains resemble the Underground carriages of the Victorian era, not the sleek, modern ones. And crucially, the journey makes use of physical effects and projection mapping to convey a sense of hurtling through time and space before landing in the ruins of Cair Paravel in the Land of Narnia, as Aslan's voice entreats travelers to join the quest to free Narnia from evil. Guests board the carriages on one side and exit from the other - this leads them to the exit next to Windsor Theatre.
  4. High Street Vehicles - in the grand tradition of Main Street, U.S.A., guests can also partake in a couple of classic, period-appropriate vehicles: the omnibus and horseless carriage. I've omitted the horse-drawn carriage and fire engine (this High Street doesn't have a fire station).
Entertainment:
  1. Windsor Theatre - as mentioned above
  2. Parade route - the parade route descends High Street from the hub and circles Mouseton Square before heading back up High Street to the hub
  3. "Streetmosphere" performers - throughout the day

Dining:
  1. Walt's - a table service restaurant on the upper floor of High Street's right side buildings, offering gussied-up American fare. Decorations lean heavily on Americana and Walt's life with a special focus on his travels around Europe. At night, coveted tables in front of the hub-facing windows offer firework views.
  2. Crystal Palace - a buffeteria at the far end of High Street, actually on the hub itself, designed to resemble a Victorian glass conservatory like its burnt-down namesake. The food served on the buffet is international, echoing the Great Exhibition's assembly of various wonders from around the world
  3. Cornwall & Devon - a bakery offering baked goods (the name is a nod to the infamous rivalry over scones)
  4. Clarabelle's Candy & Creams - a shop selling ice creams, desserts, sweets and soft drinks
Retail:
  1. There are essentially three large shops occupying three of the four quadrants on High Street: the High Street Emporium, Disney Brothers Department Store, and Lilly Belle Boutique. (The fourth quadrant houses the C&D bakery and Clarabelle's.) The Emporium and Disney Bros' store names can be seen on Mouseton Square, but the shopfronts along High Street itself present them as individual stores you would find on a typical British high street - a florist, a stationer's, a greengrocer, etc. These shopfronts pay tribute to British executives and staff of the Disney companies (but also some notable non-Britons).

Coming next: Kensington Park Gardens (the Peter Pan sub-land)

Last edited:

ThemeParkPriest

I've been silently following this forum and thoroughly enjoyed many of the creative theme park concepts, and thought it time to share one of my own.

I know it's exceedingly unlikely Disney would ever open a new resort in Europe after its troubles in Paris, let alone one in such close proximity that would potentially divert visitors across the English Channel. But it's always nice to dream that you might one day get a Disney park practically in your backyard. Plus it occurred to me that so many classic Disney properties draw inspiration from great British literature, whether it's medieval Arthurian legend or the mythical worlds of Narnia and Prydain; and the only place you would assemble those properties into a single resort would be in Britain itself.

Now I'm sure some will say - a park themed to Great Britain in Great Britain is falling into the California Adventure trap. Why would you visit Britain only to see mock-ups of British buildings and landscapes within a theme park setting when the real thing is right outside? But I hope that the overwhelming focus on literary worlds and careful curation of real-world buildings that no longer exist will help alleviate that problem. For instance, I am choosing to base the resort's flagship hotel on the grand British railway hotels of yore - not one that still exists, but rather one that has been demolished. Other buildings, such as the High Street entry land, will not directly replicate buildings found in any British city but instead emulate various British architectural styles in some semblance of harmony. After all, most British high streets do not have a uniform architectural style, having been assembled over a number of decades, even centuries, before urban planning codes demanded consistency.

Location-wise, I'm envisioning this to be somewhere on the outskirts of London - perhaps the plot allotted to the London Resort. Or it could be further afield, as long as it has good connections to major urban centres. I wouldn't mind placing it somewhere near Ashford in Kent, which is served by the Eurostar - which would allow Disney fans to visit both the Paris and London resorts in the same trip - a very elaborate "park hop", if you will, traveling between Disney resorts in two different countries!

So here's a preview of what Disney's Great British Adventure, the flagship park of a two-park resort with three hotels and an entertainment district, would entail:
  1. The flagship hotel, Disney's Grand Albion, across the entrance to the park
  2. The supercharged entry land of High Street, boasting not just guest services, retail, dining, multiple transportation options, a large West End-style theatre, but also attractions themed to Peter Pan and Mary Poppins (both of which are set in offshoots of High Street that could be considered their own sub-lands: Kensington Park Gardens and Cherry Tree Lane, respectively) as well as an interactive game inspired by The Great Mouse Detective
  3. High Street culminates in the central hub, crowned by the castle of Cair Paravel (from C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia) with sub-lands themed to 101 Dalmatians (Hell Hall) and The Wind in the Willows (Toad Hall) located off to the sides
  4. The Land of Narnia, at the top of the park (where Fantasyland is traditionally located in a castle park), is accessed via the castle drawbridge or the Underground train (itself an attraction, not unlike Universal's Hogwarts Express) from High Street, with a further two attractions located in the land itself
  5. Castleborough, a medieval "catch-all" land built around a castellated village, can be found immediately to the right of Narnia, with attractions based on The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, and Pixar's Brave (which is effectively in a DunBroch sub-land)
  6. The Hundred Acre Wood, one of two lands intended for younger children, is found immediately to the left of Narnia, with a trio of attractions themed to Winnie the Pooh
  7. Below the wood, and backing on to the Kensington Park Gardens sub-land (whose Peter Pan ride exits here), is Pixie Hollow, the other land targeted at young children, with a couple of attractions themed to Tinker Bell and friends
  8. Alice's Wonderland, merging both the classic Disney animated film and Tim Burton's live-action versions, is located on the right-hand side of the park, between Castleborough and the Cherry Tree Lane sub-land (whose main Mary Poppins ride exits here)
  9. Encircling the park, a steam engine railway - an absolute necessity for a park set in the country that gave birth to the railways, with stops in High Street, Hundred Acre Wood and Castleborough. High Street station is also home to an Underground station that provides an "experience" travelling to the Land of Narnia (not unlike the Pevensie children's experience in Prince Caspian)
I'll delve deeper into each land but I'm curious to hear what you all think about the plans above. Below is a rather rough map of the park - apologies for my poor Paint skills, but I hope it's good enough to convey the layout of the park.

Welcome! And nice work!

Justinate

Original Poster
I have a lengthy post about the first land, High Street, from yesterday, which is invisible while awaiting approval. I kind of need it to be published before I move on to the next land. Being new to this forum, can anyone please tell me why certain posts are held up for approval so I can avoid the same stumbling block in future - either be less wordy or use less media, if either of those is the issue?

D Hulk

I have a lengthy post about the first land, High Street, from yesterday, which is invisible while awaiting approval. I kind of need it to be published before I move on to the next land. Being new to this forum, can anyone please tell me why certain posts are held up for approval so I can avoid the same stumbling block in future - either be less wordy or use less media, if either of those is the issue?
It’s nothing to do with the content of your posts. If you make a few comments in a separate sub-forum, the website will think you aren’t a bot and they’ll stop holding up your comments for approval.

MickeyMouse10

I think the Britain idea works in Britain (unlike DCA) because of the IP's. California Adventure made the mistake of making it's park in California (for some odd reason) non IP or even non Disney. So it just looked like an unthemed (or badly themed) mess with little to do.

With GBA it checks off all the boxes. It gives all of the non English tourists a taste of England, while still giving us plenty of IP's to thirst on. There's so many Disney classics that take place in the U.K. you couldn't possibly fit them all.

Last edited:

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No

MickeyMouse10

I really like "The Great Mouse Detective" and "Robin Hood", hopefully they make new live action versions (ala Lion King) and make them popular again.

I'm always getting the Robin Hood song stuck in my head. "Robin Hood and Little John running through the forest....Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly, what a day..."

Last edited:

tcool123

I really like "The Great Mouse Detective" and "Robin Hood", hopefully they make live action versions (ala Lion King) and make them popular again.

I'm always getting the Robin Hood song stuck in my head. "Robin Hood and Little John running the forest....Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly, what a day..."
Well you’re in luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom