Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

Slpy3270

All in all, an interesting quarter. Lots of bad stuff but surprisingly far less apocalyptic than what was feared (the NBA and MLS deals definitely helped).

That being said, it'll likely take a few more quarters for Disney to get back to pre-Covid levels. And that assumes the Covid doesn't reach Black Death levels (it probably won't, hopefully).

Creathir

Sure, but there's a pandemic going on that has closed theatres in many places and made a lot of people reluctant to go them in places where they are open.
Okay... and?

That doesn’t mean my living room TV suddenly became 40’ tall.
It doesn’t change the fact that’s it’s an inferior experience compared to the theater.

I have a nice TV and sound system, several thousand in gear. It still sucks compared to a movie theater.

Sir_Cliff

Okay... and?

It doesn’t change the fact that’s it’s an inferior experience compared to the theater.

I have a nice TV and sound system, several thousand in gear. It still sucks compared to a movie theater.
It means they have to find some way to make money off the film and selling people tickets to see it in theatres isn't particularly viable right now. I'm sure Disney would prefer to give in a normal release in theatres too, but we are where we are.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay... and?

You can take a trip to New Zealand and see it in the theater!

doctornick

Meh.
I’d gladly pay $50 at the theater with popcorn etc for the single viewing.

I will not spend $35.99 to watch this movie in my living room over and over.

I find this always to be an interesting topic - the value of watching a movie in a theater versus at home. Suffice to say, I think people are very varied on their opinions on this (not to say any one opinion is right or wrong).

For me, I get a lot of value out of a theater experience when it's a big event film and the crowd is really into it and hanging on every action (e.g. Marvel, Star Wars type stuff with fanatics). But a movie like Mulan wouldn't really have that kind of in theater experience because even if people enjoy it, I don't think there will be that kind of excitement "in the air".

I'm pretty indifferent in the big screen/sound versus watching on my flat screen at home. Sure, the theater is "better" but not enough for me to care; many people are strongly disagree with this I know.

So, my main reason to ever go and see a movie in the theater is: (1) to see it as soon as possible [especially in trying to avoid spoilers for popular films] and (2) to enjoy a big crowd experience. So, for Mulan, neither of this apply and I'd actually rather pay $30 for my family (I already have Disney+) than go to the theater and spend more. at least we can watch at our convenience and have food and bathroom breaks and rewind/pause/whatever to our liking. YMMV.

I think the most interesting thing is it being D+ exclusive apparently and not able to be rented through other services. the price is pretty much what I'd expect for it to stream at home.

Also, is Mulan going to get a theatrical release in other countries where the theaters are open?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom