Disney's Build a Pin and Pin Traders

Quentin Disney

Original Poster
Here is a little review of Disney's newest home for pin traders. Opening day was a bit hectic waiting in line for the new LE pins and the build-a-pins, but the Cast there was still very much in it (especially the CMs out in the sun giving us updates on the line. The only real problem is the lack of air conditioning. Having an open-air store with several hundered people walking around is an absolute sweaty mess. I'm beginning to think that it's already not enough space.

For those not in the know, Disney yesterday (7/18) soft opened a store in Downtown Disney entirely dedicated to pins. It is in the former place that was known as the Captian's tower. There are tables for trading and the newest pins were on display to purchase. New core releases include a new set of Alphabet pins (Previously released at DLR), new Hercules pins, a new set of Balloon pins featuring the Fab 5 and Chip and Dale and Pooh and Friends and a new Wedding Mickey and Minnie pin.

About building your own pin. let me say how freaking cool this is. This is Disney pin personalization to the max here. The ideal is you buy a base and can purchase add-ons for your pin. Some bases have one hole and some have up to four. For example, you could purchase an "I love" base and have any major Disney Character on it (like Figment for you Figment fanboys, oh BTW the Figment add-on is currently out of stock). You can even engrave select bases! I got an "My Favorite Character" base and a Minnie pin. I love blatantly showing off my fandom!

Personally, while I do think it's a great ideal, but for $6.50 starting for the base and $2.00 for each add-on, having four characters on one pin could get pretty expensive. At first, the whole PT community will go crazy for it, but I think this will soon be a "tourist" thing just like with the Magical Moments pins. Anyway, if you're visiting WDW and like pins, come on down to Pin Traders!

Quentin Disney

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwprincess03
Do you know if they have Lilo?

She is supposed to be one of the choices, but I did not see her on the racks. Supposedly 100 more add-ons will be introduced. Apparently a LOT of folks were looking for Stitch and he was nowhere to be found. I assume he has not been released yet.

mej

We were there for the opening - on holiday and happened to get caught up in the excitement!! It is very hot a sticky in the store - not at all pleasant - it must be a nightmare to work in! And there are no Peter Pan add ons!!!! Very sad!! My daughter had to "make do" with Tink!!!

Tigggrl

DLR is planning on openening a shop in tomorrowland for exclusively pins. The shop where the Rocket Rods used to let out into is where it will be located...it should be lots of fun!:)
A new set of B&B pins are set for release soon too...I have seen several of the CM Lilo and Stitch pins, but I dont have any as of yet:)

Tramp

Originally posted by Quentin Disney
Here is a little review of Disney's newest home for pin traders. Opening day was a bit hectic waiting in line for the new LE pins and the build-a-pins, but the Cast there was still very much in it (especially the CMs out in the sun giving us updates on the line. The only real problem is the lack of air conditioning. Having an open-air store with several hundered people walking around is an absolute sweaty mess. I'm beginning to think that it's already not enough space.

We were there on Opening Day and got an LE pin...i have to agree with ya Quentin, the CMs still managed to smile even with that blasted heat and huge crowd...why no A/C in that building or at least some huge fans....the new location is better than the green room in the World of Disney, but the heat!
...even saw a couple of people busted for shoplifting!

...now that they moved the pins into a new area, did they have to do away with the Magic Kingdom Club discounts?....a lot of people were complaining about that!....and the same with the new toy store....fantastic store but no MKC discount...this card is slowly becoming more and more useless.

...we bought several of the add-ons (including figment) but didn't have the time to have them installed ..it's kind of a neat idea but I have my doubts as to it's longevity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom