Disney's Animal Kingdom to test access to The Oasis before park opening

psherman42

I love this idea if people would actually take in the Oasis area and enjoy the animals but like everybody else said, they're just going to go straight for the rope. However, the last time I went to DAK in the morning, I got there shortly after 9 and it was close to 9:30 before I got through security/turnstiles so...breaking that up sounds great.

RSoxNo1

I didn't see the Giant Anteater on the last trip. I'd love to see them add more animals to this area in hopes it slows guests down.

MGMBoy

I LOVE the Oasis and the Discovery Trails around the Tree. I have found that they can be really relaxing and make it feel like you aren't even in the middle of a crowded park. When I was on Dream Squad one of my favorite things to do was walk guests through the trails, point out the "Ant Hole" and discuss the Tree's story along with the rest of the park.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the update Steve! This is a great idea only for the fact that people might actually enjoy and learn something in this beautiful area instead of running through and ignoring everything to the left and right.
Totally agree with that. When we go down we take a look at all the things before going into the park itself.

rangerbob

It has been a while since they did this but I think it is a good idea to bring it back. It would be nice if they would do the opening show that they used to do there. I remember Mickey being raised up in a giant lift in front of the tree and welcoming everybody to the park. Now they need to bring the open the park early for EPCOT and MGM and then they are back to a good idea.

OldBlueEyes

Didn't they do this when they use to do "The Awakening" and Mickey & Co's "Let The adventure Begin" opening...
Yep, here's a pic from 2007
DAK ropedrop.jpg

MGMBoy

It has been a while since they did this but I think it is a good idea to bring it back. It would be nice if they would do the opening show that they used to do there. I remember Mickey being raised up in a giant lift in front of the tree and welcoming everybody to the park. Now they need to bring the open the park early for EPCOT and MGM and then they are back to a good idea.

I had forgotten about Mickey's lift at the tree. Maybe it was conveniently cut when the branches were an issue and they just quietly never brought it back.

JohnD

Thanks for the update Steve! This is a great idea only for the fact that people might actually enjoy and learn something in this beautiful area instead of running through and ignoring everything to the left and right.

Exactly. People might actually stop and discover there are actually animals in this area. Imagine that!

The Empress Lilly

My stroll through the Oasis, checking the animals, is essential to my DAK experience. I wouldn't rush through it even for front of the line access to Everest, Safari and Kali together.

(Nor even for just Everest and the Safari and the assurance of not having to do Kali, although this proposition comes close... )

RSoxNo1

Fastpass+ works pretty well at DAK right now because it can allow you to spread them out throughout the day and enjoy the animal exhibits. I typically schedule Safari for 10-11, Everest from 1:30-2:30 and Dinosaur from 2:30-3:30 (or later) if possible. This usually gives me enough time to enjoy the animals, see Lion King and Flight of Wonder and get Chicken Tikka Masala at Yak and Yeti.

mikenatcity1

I think 2008-2009ish? There was something small with the characters at EPCOT near the fountain, Animal Kingdom had part of the Jingle Jungle Parade (Christmas at that time) and I cannot remember exactly at DHS. In 2005ish there was something at DL, but in the last 3-4 years, it's only a countdown at the turnstiles (and if you're lucky either at Carthay Circle or the end of Main St).

DisneyDreamer08

When my husband and I went in 2009 all 4 parks had an opening show. It was an awesome way to start the day. On both our 2008 & 2009 trip, our 1st day was at AK. So the AK opening show was like the start of our Disney vacations. I loved it so much and was so sad when they cancelled it!
232323232-fp936-nu=3337-3-3-53--WSNRCG=32-288489-335nu0mrj.jpg

llrain

Sadly you are right...it might make matters worse too cause everyone will be that much closer to the attractions at opening basically creating a bit of havoc on the fight there with less steps to take..people aren't interested in visiting the oasis
So it sounds like this is a way for them to bring back a giant mass of humanity building up behind a rope rather than letting the tapstiles serve as a way to naturally disperse the crowds as they are entering the park and cut down on congestion and crowding first thing in the morning. Even though the idea of guests freely wandering around the Oasis sounds great, everyone will go straight to the ropes and wait. If this were a way for them to bring back an opening show to the park, great, but I doubt that's the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom