News Disney's Animal Kingdom July 2020 reopening reports

coasterphil

My review after 6 hours in the park today, it’s a fine experience for pass holders but everyone else should cancel their plans and wait for more offerings to return. There is no life in the park and so many things are shuttered that it would be a bit depressing as a vacation. That’s ignoring the obvious health/safety risks hanging over coming to a hotspot for a vacation in the first place too. Walking on to the limited number of attractions available isn’t worth the money for an actual trip.

Only real headaches today were parking, which took way too long with their “pulse” strategy that serves little purpose IMO, and mobile order/pickup at Satuli Canteen. They don’t seem to have that process down quite yet, and navigating the pick up through the maze they set up to direct guests is cumbersome.

Mask enforcement was 100x stronger than at Springs. If you are in view of a CM and aren’t covered up, they’re saying something. I don’t know why they’re so lax at Springs when they’re doing such a good job in the park. Also, I rode Safaris twice and neither driver said anything about being able to remove your mask on the ride. Hopefully they rethought that policy after CM previews and it wasn’t just our drivers failing to mention it.

Mainahman

My review after 6 hours in the park today, it’s a fine experience for pass holders but everyone else should cancel their plans and wait for more offerings to return. There is no life in the park and so many things are shuttered that it would be a bit depressing as a vacation. That’s ignoring the obvious health/safety risks hanging over coming to a hotspot for a vacation in the first place too. Walking on to the limited number of attractions available isn’t worth the money for an actual trip.

Only real headaches today were parking, which took way too long with their “pulse” strategy that serves little purpose IMO, and mobile order/pickup at Satuli Canteen. They don’t seem to have that process down quite yet, and navigating the pick up through the maze they set up to direct guests is cumbersome.

Mask enforcement was 100x stronger than at Springs. If you are in view of a CM and aren’t covered up, they’re saying something. I don’t know why they’re so lax at Springs when they’re doing such a good job in the park. Also, I rode Safaris twice and neither driver said anything about being able to remove your mask on the ride. Hopefully they rethought that policy after CM previews and it wasn’t just our drivers failing to mention it.
Thank you for the update! We will still be coming in august, mostly because the shuttered things, we never did/ dont do. Ive loved watching everyones lives and makes me even more excited! Cant wait to be home! Glad the Mask enforcement is there for sure! We live in Mid TN, and it gets very moist and hot, not that much different than Orlando, so bring it on!

TrainsOfDisney

and mobile order/pickup at Satuli Canteen. They don’t seem to have that process down quite yet, and navigating the pick up through the maze they set up to direct guests is cumbersome.

I was worried about this... The canteen, in my experiences, was one of the easiest and most consistently good mobile ordering experiences. I can only imagine what other places will be like....

Kman101

Um, you're allowed to remove the mask on the safari. They tell you this I thought? lol

I disagree on the parking. I don't want someone next to me. I get it's a mess and takes longer but I appreciate it.

Glad to hear that on enforcement. They do seem lax at Disney Springs, especially after dusk when all the yellow shirts disappear. I'm also not comfortable with the amount of people they're allowing in World of Disney either, personally. They did a much better job at the Springs when they first re-opened.

Ldno

Um, you're allowed to remove the mask on the safari. They tell you this I thought? lol

I disagree on the parking. I don't want someone next to me. I get it's a mess and takes longer but I appreciate it.

Glad to hear that on enforcement. They do seem lax at Disney Springs, especially after dusk when all the yellow shirts disappear. I'm also not comfortable with the amount of people they're allowing in World of Disney either, personally. They did a much better job at the Springs when they first re-opened.
They have been lax on Springs because in all reality Springs is all third party vendors other than World of Disney and legit Disney property they would not enforce it that much on Springs, I knew it would be worse at the parks from what i had seen at the stores, this will set off some people who will think they can get away with it for sure!

Kman101

They have been lax on Springs because in all reality Springs is all third party vendors other than World of Disney and legit Disney property they would not enforce it that much on Springs, I knew it would be worse at the parks from what i had seen at the stores, this will set off some people who will think they can get away with it for sure!

And people do know they can get away with it at Springs. Oh well. As long as I can walk around and keep my distance it's whatever I guess, lol.

coasterphil

Thank you for the update! We will still be coming in august, mostly because the shuttered things, we never did/ dont do. Ive loved watching everyones lives and makes me even more excited! Cant wait to be home! Glad the Mask enforcement is there for sure! We live in Mid TN, and it gets very moist and hot, not that much different than Orlando, so bring it on!
There was a lot of closed stuff I would never do anyway, but seeing so many things boarded up is still a downer. It’s really bad in Africa compared to how much energy that area usually has on a normal day

I was worried about this... The canteen, in my experiences, was one of the easiest and most consistently good mobile ordering experiences. I can only imagine what other places will be like....
I’ve never been a big fan of mobile order, since it’s always seem so disorganized at pickup. I’m glad they don’t have people bunching up together waiting, but you need to show your order to 3 people prior to pickup, then go to a secondary location for your beverage pickup that was pretty much a free for all. All while being herded down specific lines/paths. The fact that it took 20 minutes for the food to be ready and it was lukewarm/borderline cold didn’t help.

No one mentioned that you could remove the masks today. Not sure if they rethought the rule, or if it was just that neither driver spieled it.

As for parking, they could still park every other space without letting cars through in batches. I just don’t understanding the pulsing of 30-40 cars at a time. I’m thinking it’s to lessen the chance of a backup at the temp/security checks, but the length of the walk from the lot already creates separation. It took 20 minutes from plaza to spot today, if they’re boosting capacity going forward that wait is going to end up way too long to be reasonable.

Kman101

There was a lot of closed stuff I would never do anyway, but seeing so many things boarded up is still a downer. It’s really bad in Africa compared to how much energy that area usually has on a normal day

I’ve never been a big fan of mobile order, since it’s always seem so disorganized at pickup. I’m glad they don’t have people bunching up together waiting, but you need to show your order to 3 people prior to pickup, then go to a secondary location for your beverage pickup that was pretty much a free for all. All while being herded down specific lines/paths. The fact that it took 20 minutes for the food to be ready and it was lukewarm/borderline cold didn’t help.

No one mentioned that you could remove the masks today. Not sure if they rethought the rule, or if it was just that neither driver spieled it.

As for parking, they could still park every other space without letting cars through in batches. I just don’t understanding the pulsing of 30-40 cars at a time. I’m thinking it’s to lessen the chance of a backup at the temp/security checks, but the length of the walk from the lot already creates separation. It took 20 minutes from plaza to spot today, if they’re boosting capacity going forward that wait is going to end up way too long to be reasonable.

Ohhhhh, got it on the parking. Yeah that seems a bit much. I guess I'll give myself an extra half hour.

Sorry about the safari I just saw some vlogs where they said you could take it off and the driver said you could but I guess they're not doing that anymore? I don't see why not as there are plastic barriers between the rows and you shouldn't be next to anyone not in your party. Guess we will see, I'll be there tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of seeing how the parks are doing the mobile ordering. I get keeping capacity lower in the restaurants, and I'm all for that, but it looks like they're making it tough for people to even just get a cup of water. They need to have water stations like they did last year and have castmembers manning it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
DINOSAUR was not an available option. Obviously a bug for this site.

1594329830588.png

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve never been a big fan of mobile order, since it’s always seem so disorganized at pickup. I’m glad they don’t have people bunching up together waiting, but you need to show your order to 3 people prior to pickup

I’ve had mixed experiences with it - when it’s crowded and disorganized, I’ve gotten lukewarm / cold food that had obviously been sitting for too long while other guests claimed their number was called etc.

I’ve had the best of luck at places like Jolly Holiday Cafe and Spyglass Grille... not many people use mobile order there.

Showing your order to 3 people seems a bit much as well. Hopefully they will streamline the process.

Piebald

Also pleasantly surprised to see mask compliance was 100%. Sufficient sanitizer and I didnt notice any outage of soap or sanitizer. They spaced attractions out but the only thing I didnt personally see was ride vehicles being cleaned.

Sweet Thing

I was at Animal Kingdom for a bit this afternoon. This is confusing to me because when I was near the Lion King theater I clearly heard the music and singers singing as if a show was going on. The show did stop and no guests came out of the theater so I thought maybe they were practicing for the show. Then I saw this article stating that equity is not returning.

Rider

I'll add some more thoughts later but I wanted to add on to this recent discussion:

1. I guess I missed any parking fun when I arrived at 8am they were just letting cars into the lot as normal (except parking them every other spot).

2. I didn't have any problems with Satuli mobile ordering but then again I use it all the time. I ordered online, hit "I'm here" about 5 mins later it said my order was ready. The CM at the front just asked if I had my order ready, the one at the door did check, and the one at pickup asked if I knew my pickup window (which I did) and I got my food. Beverages was quick for me too but I could see it being an issue during a busier lunch rush. Hot tip: You can still ask for refills.

3. Mask compliance was really good. So good that I never saw anyone needing to be told by a CM to mask up. Not even anyone who appeared to have a drink just so they could walk without a mask (which I saw a lot at the Springs). Most people with drinks pulled their mask down to take a sip and then put it back on.

4. I rode Safaris three times and it was NEVER said that you could take your mask off. On my first ride clearly the couple in front of me had heard it through the grapevine and demasked as soon as they sat down. Because of the partitions it would have been impossible for the driver to see anyway (we were near the back). Everyone else on my other rides stayed masked.

Mainahman

I'll add some more thoughts later but I wanted to add on to this recent discussion:

1. I guess I missed any parking fun when I arrived at 8am they were just letting cars into the lot as normal (except parking them every other spot).

2. I didn't have any problems with Satuli mobile ordering but then again I use it all the time. I ordered online, hit "I'm here" about 5 mins later it said my order was ready. The CM at the front just asked if I had my order ready, the one at the door did check, and the one at pickup asked if I knew my pickup window (which I did) and I got my food. Beverages was quick for me too but I could see it being an issue during a busier lunch rush. Hot tip: You can still ask for refills.

3. Mask compliance was really good. So good that I never saw anyone needing to be told by a CM to mask up. Not even anyone who appeared to have a drink just so they could walk without a mask (which I saw a lot at the Springs). Most people with drinks pulled their mask down to take a sip and then put it back on.

4. I rode Safaris three times and it was NEVER said that you could take your mask off. On my first ride clearly the couple in front of me had heard it through the grapevine and demasked as soon as they sat down. Because of the partitions it would have been impossible for the driver to see anyway (we were near the back). Everyone else on my other rides stayed masked.
Maybe I'm missing it, but is there any way to tip the CMs through the mobile ordering? I know it's QS and all, but still feel like there should be a way to thank them for keeping the magic going.

Magic Feather

I got a lot of input from company and pass holder friends. Here are some of my takeaways.
  • Disney's Queue Markers are basically 6ft on the nose (making it closer to 4 ft between parties). Universal's are more spacious,but Disney has them set up everywhere (in case an extended queue for something like Flight of Passage is needed.
  • The Animal Kingdom ride hurt the most capacity-wise is Na'vi River Journey due to only having one party per boat
  • Most rides were effectively a walk-on for most of the day (even when FoP was posting 40 min it was actually a walk on)
  • Dining capacity at Satuli canteen, due to spacing, is a little rough. It might be better to just go for something like Flame Tree or Harambe Market.
  • Kilimanjaro is loading every row because of the barriers. The current policy is "don't advertise that you don't have to wear them, but don't enforce mask wearing on ride." Most guides remove their masks when not at load or unload.
  • The character boats don't work as well as some hoped. There have simultaneously been complaints of them not being frequent enough and of them being too fleeting.
  • Dinosaur also has shields on the ride vehicle between row 1 and 2 (the intent is that row 1 & 3 are used).
  • Primeval Whirl not being open is a blow to the park that already lost its two premier shows, but if today's crowd is any indication it isn't needed for capacity.
  • The first major show that Disney seems to want to get up and running is FotLK.
  • Planet Watch's train only carries about 15 parties at a time (3 per car)
  • Merch sales are actually pretty good.
  • While it would cause the rides to have actual waits, the park could easily take on a couple thousand more people than were there today.
  • Since everyone gets access starting at 8 AM, many people automatically seem to be showing up at park open. While parking prevents the entrance from being crazy, the park manages to die after 5-6 hours (because that's really all the time you need with no waits or shows). I would not at all be surprised to see an additional mid-day access time pop-up for the parks.

Finally, has anyone heard what the discrepancy is between today's population and the planned capacity for normal operation? I've heard that there is one, but that is it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom